Bulldog - OK to move to?

Old June 22nd 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Xmas

Default Bulldog - OK to move to?

I'm about to move, and I've signed up to start using Bulldog as my
broadband and phone provider. When I phoned BT to close my account they
warned me that 'Bulldog was closing down'.

Looking at Bulldog's web page more closely, it does look like they're
about to go through a major retooling and are laying off employees. Is
moving to Bulldog a bad idea now?

Cheers,

xmas

Old June 22nd 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Lurker

"Xmas" wrote in message
I'm about to move, and I've signed up to start using Bulldog as my
broadband and phone provider. When I phoned BT to close my account they
warned me that 'Bulldog was closing down'.

Looking at Bulldog's web page more closely, it does look like they're
about to go through a major retooling and are laying off employees. Is
moving to Bulldog a bad idea now?

Cheers,

xmas

Bulldog will not be taking orders via the telephone from 1st July or
actively advertising for retail customers but they will continue to offer
their services from their website.

Old June 22nd 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard D

who me? wrote:
Bulldog are no longer accepting home users. anyway, I'd stay with your
current ISP

Load 'o' ****e, they're accepting web orders for home users. Will be for
many months to come also. You could argue that with much less demand now
from your average non-I.T-informed joe-bloggs, the network and customer
services may improve slightly, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old June 22nd 06, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Richard D" wrote in message
who me? wrote:
Bulldog are no longer accepting home users. anyway, I'd stay with your
current ISP

Load 'o' ****e, they're accepting web orders for home users. Will be for
many months to come also. You could argue that with much less demand now
from your average non-I.T-informed joe-bloggs, the network and customer
services may improve slightly, but I wouldn't bet on it.

A friend phoned up Bulldog the other day and was told they were no longer
taking any orders for the foreseeable future.

Old June 22nd 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
who me?

"Richard D" wrote in message
who me? wrote:
Bulldog are no longer accepting home users. anyway, I'd stay with your
current ISP

Load 'o' ****e, they're accepting web orders for home users. Will be for
many months to come also. You could argue that with much less demand now
from your average non-I.T-informed joe-bloggs, the network and customer
services may improve slightly, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Shows how much you know...

"In what may be a shock move to some, but this announcement is something
that the industry had heard talk and rumours about of for some time, Cable
and Wireless has confirmed that it is pulling Bulldog out of the consumer
and small business sector of the UK broadband market. The announcement can
be read in full over at The Bulldog Lounge, where a FAQ is also available
answering the common questions.
Cable and Wireless is to re-align Bulldog broadband as a business providing
wholesale services to other service providers, and selling to large
corporates as well by the end of 2006. This means that people should see an
end to proactive sales, marketing and other advertising to residential
customers. Existing customers with a service from Bulldog will continue to
be served, and also can expect new services to be launched over time. Lets
hope that Cable and Wireless will remember that the customers it has now are
those that got Bulldog off the ground, and to some extent have effectively
debugged the LLU roll-out for them.

The LLU roll-out plan from the company is unchanged, with the target of 800
exchanges by the end of September 2006 still holding, as of 31st March 2006
Bulldog had 411 exchanges unbundled. John Pluthero, Group Managing Director
UK, indicates in the companies statement on the change that the move is
aimed at maximising the return on their investment.

The local loop unbundling market is one that is becoming more competitive,
and the task of supporting hundreds of thousands of consumers can be
difficult at times. Whether the ambitious Talk Talk plans had any bearing on
the decision is hard to know, but faced with a retail competitor who has a
strong high street presence this change may pay well. In the past Bulldog
did offer a wholesale service to other providers, but they withdraw this
sometime ago to concentrate on their own retail brand.

As yet there are no details of what the wholesale products will be available
to service providers will be, and we suspect it may actually be a case of
having to wait until individual providers announce a deal with Bulldog
before any idea of the product range is available."

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2677

Old June 22nd 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

who me? wrote:
Bulldog are no longer accepting home users. anyway, I'd stay with your
current ISP

Load 'o' ****e, they're accepting web orders for home users. Will be for
many months to come also. You could argue that with much less demand now
from your average non-I.T-informed joe-bloggs, the network and customer
services may improve slightly, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Shows how much you know...

Snip copy and paste job.

Despite what the ADSL Guide report says, Bulldog are taking web applications
until at least 01 July 06.

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/

Whether anyone would want to join them is another matter entirely.

Cheers.

Colin

Old June 22nd 06, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

who me? wrote:
Bulldog are no longer accepting home users. anyway, I'd stay with your
current ISP

Load 'o' ****e, they're accepting web orders for home users. Will be for
many months to come also. You could argue that with much less demand now
from your average non-I.T-informed joe-bloggs, the network and customer
services may improve slightly, but I wouldn't bet on it.

A friend phoned up Bulldog the other day and was told they were no longer
taking any orders for the foreseeable future.

But you can sign up via the web http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/ check the
link that says "Bulldog is changing" and the quote at the bottom "You can
still sign up for our up to 8 and 16 meg services." What Bulldog seem to be
saying is their will be no more (from July 01st) proactive sales, that would
mean telephone sales, marketing ETC, but web sign ups look OK.

Cheers.

Colin

Old June 22nd 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Don

"Xmas" wrote in message
Is moving to Bulldog a bad idea now?

Cheers,

xmas

It always was a bad idea.

Old June 22nd 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:14:44 +0100, Xmas wrote:

I'm about to move, and I've signed up to start using Bulldog as my
broadband and phone provider. When I phoned BT to close my account they
warned me that 'Bulldog was closing down'.

Looking at Bulldog's web page more closely, it does look like they're
about to go through a major retooling and are laying off employees. Is
moving to Bulldog a bad idea now?

The BT type, inadvertantly I'm sure, has given you incorrect
information. Bulldog, from 30 June will no longer market to retail
customers. They will however fully support existing customers. They
also intend toi continue with their LLU rollout. apparently they
intend to market their broadband service to wholesale customers.

I have just moved to Bulldog ans, so far, so good.
--
Peter

please remove the invalid to reply