Starting with VOIP

Old June 23rd 06, 08:11 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Default Starting with VOIP

"®ÖĞ" wrote in message
. uk
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Thus spaketh Don W:
If I get a headset and boom mic each with a plug
which can go into the EAR and MIC sockets on my PC,
then is this all the extra hardware I need for VOIP?

I hope I dont need one of those £20 (or more) "VOIP
telephones" which I see in some shops.

That is all you need.

All the crappy £20 odd VoIP phones are in a microphone
and earpiece moulded into a plastic phone shape, many
are USB which just add their own sound card into the
device. At a later date you may wish to go down the hardware
side, I use a LinkSys PAP2 with www.Sipgate.co.uk and
www.VoIPStunt.com this plugs into my router and I
attach my home phones and use like a normal service,
I've been happy with VoIP that for almost a year I no
longer have a standard landline (use cable for
broadband). On the software side you can use x-lite.

I recommend using www.sipgate.co.uk these offer for
free an proper 01 or 02 incoming number of your choice
of area code, not just the area you live in, no monthly
fees, calls to 0800/0808 freephone numbers are free. You could also
try www.voipstunt.com these also offer
an incoming number though not all area codes are
available so you may end up with an 0560 VoIP number,
they do charge ?10 (10 Euro) for 120 days service (top
up before 120 days and credit is retained) you can call
many destinations for free (up to 300 mins per week)
then 1c/min, you can send SMS text messages for 5c. Both Sipgate and
VoIPStunt can be used from the X-Lite
program, VoIPStunt you need their software to first
make you account.

Can you use Skype with X-Lite, can't find an answer on
the forum?

No. X-Lite uses SIP, Skype doesn't. Can we follow up to uk.telecom.voip
please..?

Ivor