adsl broadband keeps disconnecting.

Old June 23rd 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Cave

Default adsl broadband keeps disconnecting.

got a friend who's emailed this to me.

Anyone got a clue?

"My connection keeps dropping out. This is a recent problem, and I
haven't changed my setup. BT, my provider, say there's nothing wrong
with the line - though it sounds staticy to me.

Any advice? Good experiences with other providers? Their customer
service has been less than helpful."

Old June 23rd 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Lyons

"My connection keeps dropping out. This is a recent problem, and I
haven't changed my setup. BT, my provider, say there's nothing wrong
with the line - though it sounds staticy to me.

If they've recently been upgraded to Max that would explain the problem.

--
Regards

John Lyons

ADSL 9.99 pm
www.discountadsl.co.uk

Old June 23rd 06, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 23-Jun-2006, "Dan Cave" wrote:

"My connection keeps dropping out. This is a recent problem, and I
haven't changed my setup. BT, my provider, say there's nothing wrong
with the line - though it sounds staticy to me.

If by staticky is meant noisy, either during calls, or during the
silence you should have when you get rid of the dialtone by
dialing a single digit, then it could be a bad connection, which
would be consistent with BB dropping out.
If it's a wire off a pole then it is a known and common fault
which BT should/will fix if you report it as a voice, noisy line
fault. If it's what is known as a dry joint, aka as a high resistance
connection, it should also be reported as an intermittently noisy
line voice/phone fault. Dry joints can however be harder to
get fixed, finding which joint is the problem, they say it's fixed
but it isn't, or comes back again a couple of days later.
Old June 23rd 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

"Dan Cave" wrote in message
oups.com...
got a friend who's emailed this to me.

Anyone got a clue?

"My connection keeps dropping out. This is a recent problem, and I
haven't changed my setup. BT, my provider, say there's nothing wrong
with the line - though it sounds staticy to me.

Any advice? Good experiences with other providers? Their customer
service has been less than helpful."

This has been my problem as well (see other posts) However, to be fair to BT
although they sent an engineer out and he said the line was OK I ended up
with a connection that was slower than dial-up!!!!

I did what a few others suggested and replaced my Belkin Router/modem with a
different make and it made no real difference to the speed of connection
although the D-Link unit seemed not to drop the ADSL link.

BT have started to improve things though, mind you I keep getting those
annoying audio texts to my home phone (just had yet another as I type this
message) telling me that haven't yet fixed it. I rand the support line today
and they told me it should all be sorted by early next week.

Funnily enough although BT told me I was ADSL max, according to the BT
website if I type in my home number it tells me I can only get up to 3mb
max, not 8mb. At the moment I'm getting around 1.5mb. The BT guy said they
should be able to get it up to 1.7-2mb, so we will wait and see.

Martin

Old June 23rd 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

John Lyons wrote:
"My connection keeps dropping out. This is a recent problem, and I
haven't changed my setup. BT, my provider, say there's nothing
wrong
with the line - though it sounds staticy to me.

If they've recently been upgraded to Max that would explain the
problem.

You missed the bit which says the line is noisey, possibly a filter
problem, possibly a line fault. Check the filters/filtering, if
they're all ok & everything which needs a filter has got one report
the problem to the ISP, even if it has just been MAX'd.

Old June 24th 06, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 23 Jun 2006, "Martin" wrote:

Funnily enough although BT told me I was ADSL max, according to the BT
website if I type in my home number it tells me I can only get up to 3mb
max, not 8mb. At the moment I'm getting around 1.5mb. The BT guy said they
should be able to get it up to 1.7-2mb, so we will wait and see.

Errrr... I think if you check with few web sites such as ADSLguide or any
other broadband/ADSL specific sites (www.ADSLguide.org.uk www.uk-bug.net
etc) you will find many users have a connection running *below* 8 Mbps...

DSL Max increases the upper limit from 2000 to 8000+ kbps for the speed of
the connection to your exchange (data transfer is less, because of various
overheads), but it is definitely marketed as *up to* 8000 kbps and there
is no guarantee that you will get "8000 or nothing" else 90% (a guess) may
have "nothing"... The "up to 3 Mbps" might seem a bit disappointing, when
you see others getting higher speeds. I don't know whether the checker is
using historic data held about your line (ie an indication of how long it
is) or whether the information given is based on those in / around your
neighbourhood, so not based on your specific line, just an "average".

Old June 24th 06, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Big Al

I am having problems since the "upgrade" to 8MB (well, in my case 6.5MB)
I also took the BT Broadband talk option.
At around 9 mins the download speed dissapears to 0 and the telephone
disconnects.

I have to stop the download, re start and the 56kbps comes back for another
9 or so mins. Same with the phone, disconnect re connect for another 9 mins

Anyone else having this problem?

BT Braodband tried to say it was Broadband talks problem, Talk had no idea,
then it has come back to the Broadband connection. Awaiting an engineer from
BT when they can be bothered to come out....