Ethernet DSL modem?

Old June 23rd 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

Default Ethernet DSL modem?

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:28:48 +0100, Mark
wrote:

What comes recommended (or best avoided, come to that)?

what you are trying to do is IMHO best avoided. You need to find a
modem with the appropriate kludge to work with the router you have.
ADSLnation's X-modem makes great claims in this area.

Ethernet modems to my mind don't exist. They're one port modem/routers
using some kludge to pass the external IP to the thing behind them.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old June 24th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:35:05 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , Phil
Thompson wrote:

Ethernet modems to my mind don't exist. They're one port modem/routers

Indeed.

using some kludge to pass the external IP to the thing behind them.

Huh? Thats all USB modems are too, except they move the responsibility
for the kludge from the dedicated firm/hardware in the modem, to
driver software in your PC. Personally I prefer dedicated.
--
Mark McIntyre
Old June 25th 06, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

news
Thompson wrote:

Ethernet modems to my mind don't exist. They're one port modem/routers

Indeed.

using some kludge to pass the external IP to the thing behind them.

Huh? Thats all USB modems are too, except they move the responsibility
for the kludge from the dedicated firm/hardware in the modem, to
driver software in your PC. Personally I prefer dedicated.

USB was never in the frame. The original question was for a Ethernet Modem
to go into an existing router. As many have said on here the OP would be
much better served replacing the exiting router with one with a built in
ADSL modem.

As for routers that will pass the IP address through I have a Speed Touch
510 and that can be configured in that mode...

--
Mark McIntyre

Old June 26th 06, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:28:10 +0100, Mark McIntyre
wrote:

Huh? Thats all USB modems are too, except they move the responsibility
for the kludge from the dedicated firm/hardware in the modem, to
driver software in your PC.

nah, a USB modem is an interface device for the PC with most of the
work done in the PC. The ATM stream terminates in the PC which
naturally gets the IP address, there is no IP address for the modem.

You can't plug a USB modem into a power supply and have it sync to the
exchange, it doesn't have the capability to do anything without a PC.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old June 27th 06, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

Please can someone explain what is so inelegant (or whatever) about
using a modem in bridging mode into my existing Sipura VoIP router?

How are you going to configure the modem with a user name and password. It
does not have an IP address until its connected, and its not connected
untill you configure it. I think you will have to connect the modem to a PC
in order to config it. Normally you only use bridging mode with a fixed IP
address. I looked at the manuals for the now discontinued D-Link DSL-300
that was mentioned above. Even though its described as an Ethernet Modem you
don't appear to be able set it up as you describe. You appear to need to set
up a seperate subnet for the "LAN" between the DSL-300 and the Router (e.g.
192.168.0.x) and then use a second network (192.168.1.x) for the houshold
LAN

Is
the performance compromised - and if so, in what way? Is there proof?

I don't think you will notice any difference, but there will be added
latency on the link.

Or conversely why it would be much better not to do so?

Only one device to manage. Only one network.... I suiggest that download the
manual for whichever device you use and see if you can figure out how to
configure it without attaching it directly to a PC and how you will manage
it through the router.

TIA
--
Mark

Old July 4th 06, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Mark" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:18:35 +0100, "David Wade"
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

The Sipura VoIP router can store a PPPoE username/password config. So
that should be passed to the modem to set up the connection, correct?

I would not like to make any promises.

--
Mark