NTL CLI Question

Old June 24th 06, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

Default NTL CLI Question

X-posted to uk.telecom.voip
I suggest follow-ups go there only.
"

Cardiff IT Support Ltd" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Using a dect phone, caller id works no problem.

Using Asterisk PBX, I cannot get callerid to show up on my home line which
is NTL. I have managed to get callerid working on a BT line but I am
struggling on NTL.

Within Asterisk, I have to choose a signalling type which is either 'bell'
and 'v23' or 'DTMF'.

I also have to configure 'cidstart' with the option of 'polarity' or
'ring'

I doubt that calling NTL would help so do you guys have any idea of the
settings I should use? I am in Cardiff on NTL.

Thanks,

Sean

You don't say what FXO trunk card uou are using.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 25th 06, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Cardiff IT Support Ltd

"Graham." wrote in message ...
X-posted to uk.telecom.voip
I suggest follow-ups go there only.
"

I disagree.

I dont have a problem Asteris, my question is to the telecoms bods that my
know what kind of caller id technology is used by NTL / NTL Cardiff..

I could be wrong, I am not an expert, but I consider this question more
relevant technology in use at a standard telephone exchange than VOIP.

Old June 25th 06, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Peter Andrews

"Graham." wrote in message
X-posted to uk.telecom.voip
I suggest follow-ups go there only.
"

I disagree.

I dont have a problem Asteris, my question is to the telecoms bods that my
know what kind of caller id technology is used by NTL / NTL Cardiff..

I could be wrong, I am not an expert, but I consider this question more
relevant technology in use at a standard telephone exchange than VOIP.

You are quite right. IIRC under an EU Directive (circa 2001) you are within
your rights to request a copy of the interface specification from NTL
(although you may have to pay for it) as they are obliged to publish
details, as I understand it, to allow any manufacturer(?) to design
compatible equipment. Telewest published their CLI interface specification
as Technical Interface Specification (TIS) 4 on their web site in 2002, but
it doesn't appear to be there now. The Telewest spec would almost certainly
cover the NTL switch.

BT describe their interfaces in their SIN documentation.

Peter

Old June 25th 06, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
stephen

o.uk...

"Graham." wrote in message
[...]

just remember NTL and Telewest built their networks by buying companies.

NTL definitiely has different switches in different cable areas - i am in N
Manchester (ex C&W and ex someone before that) and NTL claim Caller line ID
isnt supported here at all

BT describe their interfaces in their SIN documentation.

Peter

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old June 25th 06, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Peter Andrews

news

"Graham." wrote in message
[...]

Telewest had/has Nokia, Nortel, Marconi and Ericsson switches in their
network. Birmingham for example, due to acquisitions, has Marconi (CLI same
as BT's) and Nortel switches (CLI Bell Core) in close proximity and very
confusing for the customer as some CLI phones would work on one switch but
not another within the same city.

You should note that there is not a defined (Ofcom) UK standard for Caller
Display.

Peter

Old June 26th 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

stephen wrote:
"Peter Andrews" wrote in message

[snip]

just remember NTL and Telewest built their networks by buying companies.

NTL definitiely has different switches in different cable areas - i am in N
Manchester (ex C&W and ex someone before that) and NTL claim Caller line ID
isnt supported here at all
BT describe their interfaces in their SIN documentation.

Peter

This is NTL's supplier info notes:

http://www.ntl.com/locales/gb/en/legals/sin.pdf

Doesn't really tell you anything but no doubt it's vagueness is due to
the fact that the network is so different in different areas of the country.

By the way, is the "someone else" you mention, Nynex? That's who I was
originally with in Oldham and who originally laid the cables before it
changed to C&W and then NTL.

cheers,
Paul.
Old June 26th 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
stephen

"paul hayes" wrote in message
stephen wrote:
"Peter Andrews" wrote in message

[snip]

just remember NTL and Telewest built their networks by buying companies.

NTL definitiely has different switches in different cable areas - i am

in N
Manchester (ex C&W and ex someone before that) and NTL claim Caller line

ID
isnt supported here at all
BT describe their interfaces in their SIN documentation.

Peter

This is NTL's supplier info notes:

http://www.ntl.com/locales/gb/en/legals/sin.pdf

Doesn't really tell you anything but no doubt it's vagueness is due to
the fact that the network is so different in different areas of the

country.

By the way, is the "someone else" you mention, Nynex?

yes - i had one of those blank memory days......

Old June 27th 06, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
JW

"Graham." wrote in message

[...]

I think Cardiff was a Cabletel franchise, so may be System
X. There is a particular feature code that can confirm this:
*#001#

In at least some of its franchises, Cabletel did not invest
in the technology needed to support CLI, so you may be out
of luck, but you will need to contact NTL to check and, if
available, subscribe to the service.
Old June 27th 06, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
paulw

You are quite right. IIRC under an EU Directive (circa 2001) you are
within your rights to request a copy of the interface specification from
NTL (although you may have to pay for it) as they are obliged to publish
details, as I understand it, to allow any manufacturer(?) to design
compatible equipment. Telewest published their CLI interface
specification as Technical Interface Specification (TIS) 4 on their web
site in 2002, but it doesn't appear to be there now. The Telewest spec
would almost certainly cover the NTL switch.

You can download the Telewest spec at
http://www.ntstelecom.co.uk/document...aller%20ID.pdf

Paul
--
pjw at ntstelecom#co#uk
Simulate any telephone network in the world for only 560.00.