Question about sending emails at work and at home

Old June 24th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hungerdunger

Default Question about sending emails at work and at home

I am self-employed and access my email both at home and at work. My ISP is
Demon.

When I had a dial-up connection at home and at work, I was able to send and
receive emails at both sites using the one account.

Earlier this year I changed to Broadband at home. I am still able to
retrieve my emails at work using another ISP (Force 9) but the only way I
can send them using my normal email address is to use Demon Dial-up
companion which charges me 5p for every minute I'm on line.

I now want to change to Broadband at work, but if I understand the situation
corrrectly, even if I stick with Demon, I will need to set up a completely
separate account, and therefore will have to use a different host name.
Presumably I will still be able to receive emails addressed to my original
account, but what happens if I want to send emails? Won't I be sending
emails with a different address which is going to confuse recipients? I.e.
currently my email address is [my name]@[old host name].demon.co.uk. I
assume that to send emails from work I would need to use [my name]@[new host
name].demon.co.uk

Am I right in this? If so, is there any solution?

[Apologies if I'm being particularly thick]
--
Hungerdunger
To reply by email, remove the MARX from my address

Old June 24th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article ,
Hungerdunger says...
[...]

smtp servers should accept outgoing mail from an IP address in their
pool without any difficulty.

So to use the Demon smtp server you would need to be connected via a
Demon IP address. Unless they employ some strange
authentication/filtering you should be fine. It is the IP address which
matters, it has to be in the access list for the server to accept the
connection.

That is what authenticates you to their server as an authorised user,
and why you can't send email through their server when you are using a
Force9/Pusnet IP.

It helps prevent spam and abuse. If a user misbehaves, then Demon will
be able to track who it was from their logs and terminate them easily.
Only Demon account holders can obtain and use a Demon IP address.

FR
Old June 24th 06, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}

Hungerdunger wrote:
[...]

The easiest thing to do is set up a machine with an IMAP server at one
location and arrange that it collects all your email. Then you can log
on from anywhere with an IMAP client (Thunderbird is cross-platform,
even OE can do it) and collect mail from the central point. Because the
mail sits on your server you're able to get to all of it from anywhere.
You'll still need a second account at work unless there's some other
form of net access already there.

For outgoing, some ISPs don't care what you've got in the From: field
so you might still be able to claim to be at your proper address. If not,
just set up an SMTP server on the same machine as the IMAP server and
use it with one of the SMTP authentication methods to validate that it's
you connecting so it will relay the mail. (Get this bit right though, or
you'll end up being used for spamming!). It should be trivial to get
Linux running on an old PC with IMAP and SMTP, it wouldn't even need a
monitor and keyboard most of the time.

--
Dave
mail da (without the space)

Old June 24th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , Ivor Jones
wrote

I.e. currently my email address is [my name]@[old host
name].demon.co.uk. I assume that to send emails from
work I would need to use [my name]@[new host
name].demon.co.uk

Am I right in this? If so, is there any solution?

It the configuration on your own machine that sets the 'from' and 'reply
to' addresses for any email that you send.

Just configure your email program to pretend to be [my name]@[old
hostname].demon.co.uk when connected via another ISP or a different
account.

Any return email will be sent back to your original Demon account.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old June 24th 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Alan" wrote in message

In message , Ivor Jones
wrote

I.e. currently my email address is [my name]@[old host
name].demon.co.uk. I assume that to send emails from
work I would need to use [my name]@[new host
name].demon.co.uk

Am I right in this? If so, is there any solution?

Actually I didn't write that, the OP did. Please trim correctly.

Ivor

Old June 24th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 24-Jun-2006, "Hungerdunger" wrote:

Am I right in this? If so, is there any solution?

Most "providers of connections" be they hotels, businesses, or ISP's,
only allow you to send emails where the bit that comes after the @
is in their domain.
So I can send emails from {my-tesco when connected to Tesco.net
I can send emails from {my-freeserve when
connected to Freeserve
I can send emails from {my-freeserve when connected
to Freeserve
Otherwise I get an "Unable to relay" error message.
It also hits if I read mail on Freeserve, and get a message directed to my Tesco
identity,
it trys to reply from my Tesco identity, and gets the "Unable to relay" because I'm
connected
to Freeserve and not Tesco.
It's so that ISP's can't be used as relays by junk mailers.
Things can/could be configured as what are called "Open relays" but often these open
relays are by accident, where a server hasn't been configured correctly to block
relaying.
There are sites, for spammers, that list open relays.
Often these only exist for a few days, otherwise you are funding someone elses
junk mail bandwidth charges.
I have several email accounts, partly for this reason, and partly some are used as
spam sinks. Some addresses I give out, keeping other email addresses for trusted
contacts.
Old June 24th 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
majogh

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:59:07 +0100, "Hungerdunger"
wrote:

[...]

Would it be impractical to use the demon webmail service while at work

Old June 25th 06, 05:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nightowl

wrote on Sat, 24 Jun 2006:

Most "providers of connections" be they hotels, businesses, or ISP's,
only allow you to send emails where the bit that comes after the @
is in their domain.
So I can send emails from {my-tesco when connected to Tesco.net
I can send emails from {my-freeserve when
connected to Freeserve
I can send emails from {my-freeserve when connected
to Freeserve
Otherwise I get an "Unable to relay" error message.

Hmm. . . that's not been my experience.

What you can't do is try to send through, say, the Tesco.net SMTP server
while connected to Freeserve. But the three broadband ISPs I've used --
Virgin, Freedom2Surf and Zen -- all allow mail to be sent from any
"From" address you like, as long as your software is set to send through
the connected ISP, and I think that's the norm.

For example, I still have some old Virgin addresses that receive mail. I
collect it via POP3 and can reply using the Virgin addresses but sending
through Zen. I just sent myself a test mail "from"
to check with no problem.

In my email client (Turnpike) this is done through "personality"
settings, but it can be done in OE too. In fact it's such a common need
that Zen has a Knowledge Base page explaining how to do it.

--
Nightowl
Old June 26th 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
devs

In message , Nightowl ]
writes

Hmm. . . that's not been my experience.

What you can't do is try to send through, say, the Tesco.net SMTP
server while connected to Freeserve. But the three broadband ISPs I've
used -- Virgin, Freedom2Surf and Zen -- all allow mail to be sent from
any "From" address you like, as long as your software is set to send
through the connected ISP, and I think that's the norm.

For example, I still have some old Virgin addresses that receive mail.
I collect it via POP3 and can reply using the Virgin addresses but
sending through Zen. I just sent myself a test mail "from"
to to check with no problem.

In my email client (Turnpike) this is done through "personality"
settings, but it can be done in OE too. In fact it's such a common need
that Zen has a Knowledge Base page explaining how to do it.

I can't believe that, in this day and age, people are still having
trouble with this kind of thing. A .co.uk domain name from 1&1 or
similar costs about 2 quid a year. You get pop3 and smtp with this. Set
it up once and forget, no matter where you are.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old June 27th 06, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

:
[...]
: --
: Hungerdunger
: To reply by email, remove the MARX from my address

You could also buy yourself a domain then use the pop account that come with
it,around a tenner a year take a look here http://host.kick-butt.co.uk..

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk