Wireless connectivity: telewest cable modem via Belkin wireless router

Old June 24th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cprelude

Default Wireless connectivity: telewest cable modem via Belkin wireless router

Hi...
Have been trying to implement wireless connectivity for a friend. He
has a Telewest/Blueyonder ADSL cable setup provided by a Motorola
Surfboard 5101E Modem.
An ethernet cable then attaches to a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless G
Router F5D7633-4.

The Wireless route feeds a Toshiba laptop using an Atheros AR 50035
built-in wireless receiver.

There are two problems: sometimes, very rarely, a strong wireless
connection is achieved. Usually the connection dies after about 30
minutes activity, and there is literally no internet connection
available on the laptop - everything drops.

The second problem is that, following a reboot, it can be impossible to
establish any internet connection at all.
So far we have tried the following:
logging in to the wireless router and ensuring that all settings are as
correct as we can get them, based on the fact that we are in the UK (I
am unable to get wireless router settings from telewest as they say
they "don't support wireless").

We have tried cold reboots of all three devices (laptop, wireless
router, cable modem), in sequence as recommended by Telewest support.
This has worked once, enabling the wireless internet to be
re-initialised, but only once. More often than not, the cold reboot
sequence makes no difference and the problem persists.

We have tried disabling the software firewall, purely as an experiment,
but it made no difference. There seems no functionality to disable the
hardware firewall on the wireless router, so I am currently unable to
do this, though I wonder if that really is the problem?

As Telewest recommended my friend to buy this very router, and so there
must be experience of it working with Telewest (yet allegedly do not
support wireless??) I am wondering if anyone has any ideas?

I really would appreciate some support/guidance from any of the folk on
this group

Old June 24th 06, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cprelude

Bill, I have posted there accordingly. But, I guess my question
remains, that if Telewest don't support any LAN attached to their cable
modem, then how could wireless be implemented using the Cable modem
they supply?

Paul
phoenix wrote:
On 24 Jun 2006 08:23:33 -0700, cprelude wrote:

[...]

It's not that Telewest don't support wireless, they don't support any LAN
attached to their cable modem - you can use a LAN but they just don't give
support.

Why don't you have a look at the forums at www.cm-forums.co.uk - this sort
of problem has been covered many time, if you don't find an answer then
post your question there and someone will be able to help.

Regards

Bill

BTW, Telewest is a Broadband Cable provider not ADSL - they are different
technologies.

Old June 24th 06, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

cprelude wrote on 24/06/2006 :
Bill, I have posted there accordingly. But, I guess my question
remains, that if Telewest don't support any LAN attached to their cable
modem, then how could wireless be implemented using the Cable modem
they supply?

Err, plug it in & configure it:

Support = "help people who have problems"

Not that it's not allowed.

Old June 24th 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveH

cprelude wrote:

Hi...
Have been trying to implement wireless connectivity for a friend. He
has a Telewest/Blueyonder ADSL cable setup provided by a Motorola
Surfboard 5101E Modem.
An ethernet cable then attaches to a Belkin

^^^^^^

There's your problem.

Ditch it in favour of Netgear or Linksys kit.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Coming Soon ! - COSOC KOTL
Old June 24th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On 24 Jun 2006 08:23:33 -0700, "cprelude" wrote:

Hi...
Have been trying to implement wireless connectivity for a friend. He
has a Telewest/Blueyonder ADSL cable setup provided by a Motorola
Surfboard 5101E Modem.

Telewest/Blueyonder is not ADSL (neither is the Motorola cable modem)

An ethernet cable then attaches to a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless G
Router F5D7633-4.

This is for use with a (e.g) BT line using ADSL and is not compatible with your
modem.

Geo
Old June 24th 06, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cprelude

Hi guys...
Thanks very much for these very informed and helpful replies...Wow...!
That is quite something. After all those hours of tinkering, now I find
out....Errr....The reason the couple I am helping got that router was
because Telewest told them to, and that it would enable to them to set
up wireless...Donno whether to laugh or cry :-)

Old June 24th 06, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The s-Bray

"cprelude" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The router you have is for ADSL broadband and not cable broadband. The
device is not compatible with TW cable system. Return the unit to the
retailer and replace it with a cable router.

Old June 24th 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"cprelude" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi guys...
Thanks very much for these very informed and helpful replies...Wow...!
That is quite something. After all those hours of tinkering, now I find
out....Errr....The reason the couple I am helping got that router was
because Telewest told them to, and that it would enable to them to set
up wireless...Donno whether to laugh or cry :-)

I doubt that BY told them to get that router.
They sell Netgear stuff.
You/they need a cable/DSL router not an ADSL router.