SMTP IN Hotels, who haven't a clue

Old June 24th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Default SMTP IN Hotels, who haven't a clue

I stay in some hotels with free wifi connection, and though I can
receive e mails OK, I can't send, and those on Reception are often
clueless as to where to find/what I'm talking about.
ie what is smtp address to send.

Is there any way of finding this out someway else, say if you've had an
email from hotel, do the headers reveal what I need?

Old June 24th 06, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

"Gel" wrote in message
oups.com...
I stay in some hotels with free wifi connection, and though I can
receive e mails OK, I can't send, and those on Reception are often
clueless as to where to find/what I'm talking about.
ie what is smtp address to send.

Is there any way of finding this out someway else, say if you've had an
email from hotel, do the headers reveal what I need?

It's not the hotels that don't have a clue ..............

Some ISPs will allow email to be sent from Outlook / Outlook Express etc
from outside their controlled network while others will not. On the ones
that won't you are restricted to using their web mail - should they have
such a service. Having the SMTP that the hotel uses won't help you because
you don't have an email account with that company.

The vast majority of hotels offer WiFi so that you can use your web mail -
not to send emails on their account.

Old June 24th 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ZZzz

"Gel" wrote in message
oups.com...
I stay in some hotels with free wifi connection, and though I can
receive e mails OK, I can't send, and those on Reception are often
clueless as to where to find/what I'm talking about.
ie what is smtp address to send.

Is there any way of finding this out someway else, say if you've had an
email from hotel, do the headers reveal what I need?

There are a few PAYG ISP's that allow you to send email from anywhere with
SMTP auth, one that springs to mind is Beeb.net and their accounts don't
seem to expire if you don't use this for ages, I always have a spare Beeb
account for when travelling and using hotel's WIFI.

John

Old June 24th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveH

Gel wrote:

I stay in some hotels with free wifi connection, and though I can
receive e mails OK, I can't send, and those on Reception are often
clueless as to where to find/what I'm talking about.
ie what is smtp address to send.

Is there any way of finding this out someway else, say if you've had an
email from hotel, do the headers reveal what I need?

Sign up for a gmail account - you can then use the gmail SMTP server to
send mail. (I use it as a backup for my own domain name SMTP server).
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Coming Soon ! - COSOC KOTL
Old June 24th 06, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"SteveH" wrote in message

Gel wrote:

I stay in some hotels with free wifi connection, and
though I can receive e mails OK, I can't send, and
those on Reception are often clueless as to where to
find/what I'm talking about.
ie what is smtp address to send.

Is there any way of finding this out someway else, say
if you've had an email from hotel, do the headers
reveal what I need?

Sign up for a gmail account - you can then use the gmail
SMTP server to send mail. (I use it as a backup for my
own domain name SMTP server).

Yes that works, I do the same. (Anyone want any gmail invites..?!)

Ivor

Old June 24th 06, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

"Gel" wrote:

I stay in some hotels with free wifi connection, and though I can
receive e mails OK, I can't send, and those on Reception are often
clueless as to where to find/what I'm talking about.
ie what is smtp address to send.

You could be better off either having a paid for service with an ISP
which allows you to use port 25 (or an alternative port) or even to
use other ports (such as port 80, usually for web browsing) rather
than having to change your settings each time you visit another.

Some services may "trap" port 25 traffic so although it appears you
are connecting to an external service, it could delay/block/drop a
message you think has gone out to some paid-for SMTP relay.

Old June 25th 06, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

oups.com...
:
: Is there any way of finding this out someway else, say if you've had an
: email from hotel, do the headers reveal what I need?

Use your own smtp server take a look at nonags

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

Old June 25th 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark BR

Joker7 wrote:
"Gel" wrote in message
oups.com...
I stay in some hotels with free wifi connection, and though I can
receive e mails OK, I can't send, and those on Reception are often
clueless as to where to find/what I'm talking about.
ie what is smtp address to send.

Is there any way of finding this out someway else, say if you've
had an email from hotel, do the headers reveal what I need?

Use your own smtp server take a look at nonags

Chris

Has the problem that groups like AOL will often refuse mail from your own
SMTP - especially if you are in a supposedly spam high risk country like
Thailand (but not if you are in the USA)

Mark BR

Old June 25th 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Thnks all.
Have found 1 solution is to connect into my VPN, and then my
smtp setting of "relay.plus.net" lets me send, but not receive.

So I receive with VPN off, and send with it on.

Mark BR wrote:
Joker7 wrote:
oups.com...

Old June 26th 06, 02:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jun 2006, "Gel" wrote:

Have found 1 solution is to connect into my VPN, and then my
smtp setting of "relay.plus.net" lets me send, but not receive.

So I receive with VPN off, and send with it on.

Crumbs... sounds a pain. Depends how often you are away and what you
are wanting to send, but a tenner for the once-only fee payable to the
fastmail.net service would allow you to send via them all the time and
not have to mess about with VPN... or just use the PN webmail (?)