Connecting to BTexchange but npot to ISP.

Old June 25th 06, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Connecting to BTexchange but npot to ISP.

I was called to a friend's house last night to take a look at why his
internet connection was not working. His Draytel 2600 router connects
(syncs) with the exchange and is quite stable AFAICS. What does not work is
the PPP connection to Plusnet. I have looked at all the obvious things like
the settings but it just reports PPP authorisation starting and then closes
down before restarting. Obviously there could be a number of things to
check like connecting to the BT server and so on. Before I raise a ticket
for them with Plusnet are there any other obvious things to try? I hope to
test a substitute router but can't do that until tomorrow.

Peter Crosland

Old June 25th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Peter Crosland wrote:
I was called to a friend's house last night to take a look at why
his
internet connection was not working. His Draytel 2600 router
connects
(syncs) with the exchange and is quite stable AFAICS. What does not
work is the PPP connection to Plusnet. I have looked at all the
obvious things like the settings but it just reports PPP
authorisation starting and then closes down before restarting.
Obviously there could be a number of things to check like
connecting
to the BT server and so on. Before I raise a ticket for them with
Plusnet are there any other obvious things to try? I hope to test a
substitute router but can't do that until tomorrow.

The problem has been reported to PN a number of times recently (over
the last 7 days) so they are aware. Unfortunately they do not know
what is causing it, except it may be possibly down to the BRAS being
set artificially high. I was suffering an intermitent loss of PPP &
so reported it & that was the answer that came back......solution,
well they suggested rebooting the router a number of times (I in fact
changed the router which appeared to do the job just as well). This
has lowered my BRAS rate to 3Mb but unfortunately I haven't had enough
time to monitor to see if it's still happening (the present router I'm
using doesn't appear to have a readily available logging service so I
have no logs with which I can check)...

Another thing, which may be worthwhile, is to make sure that the
draytek has got the latest firmware, now standing at 5.2.9_UK2...

Old June 25th 06, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Thanks very much for that kráftéé. At least it gives me a starting point to
work from.

Peter Crosland

Old June 25th 06, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jun 2006, "kráftéé" wrote:

(the present router I'm using doesn't appear to have a readily
available logging service so I have no logs with which I can check)...

would www.l8nc.com help on this aspect? (You could get it to ping an IP
once a minute and provide graphs of the results for "today" and "yesterday")
Old June 25th 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

poster wrote:
On 25 Jun 2006, "kráftéé" wrote:

(the present router I'm using doesn't appear to have a readily
available logging service so I have no logs with which I can
check)...

would www.l8nc.com help on this aspect? (You could get it to ping
an IP once a minute and provide graphs of the results for "today"
and
"yesterday")

Interesting idea, only problem is the idea of opening up an account
with a third party & allowing them to ping me 24/7. Not to sure I
like the idea but thanks anyway...

Old June 25th 06, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Peter Crosland wrote:
kráftéé wrote:
poster wrote:
On 25 Jun 2006, "kráftéé" wrote:

(the present router I'm using doesn't appear to have a readily
available logging service so I have no logs with which I can
check)...

would www.l8nc.com help on this aspect? (You could get it to
ping
an IP once a minute and provide graphs of the results for "today"
and
"yesterday")

Interesting idea, only problem is the idea of opening up an account
with a third party & allowing them to ping me 24/7. Not to sure I
like the idea but thanks anyway...

Latest news it has now started again. I just wonder if turning the
router off overnight has allowed the glitch to clear.

Peter Crosland

More likely forced the BRAS to a lower value

Old June 25th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:40:07 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

I was called to a friend's house last night to take a look at why his
internet connection was not working. His Draytel 2600 router connects
(syncs) with the exchange and is quite stable AFAICS. What does not work is
the PPP connection to Plusnet. I have looked at all the obvious things like
the settings but it just reports PPP authorisation starting and then closes
down before restarting. Obviously there could be a number of things to
check like connecting to the BT server and so on. Before I raise a ticket
for them with Plusnet are there any other obvious things to try? I hope to
test a substitute router but can't do that until tomorrow.

Peter Crosland

That sounds similar to a problem I have had of late (Safecom router).
Can you confirm an IP address is being allocated? In my case, the
router LEDs indicate sync achieved, but there is no IP address. I'm
with BT as ISP.

PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.
Old June 25th 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Robinson

Peter Crosland wrote:

[...] Draytel 2600 router connects
(syncs) with the exchange and is quite stable AFAICS. What does not work is
the PPP connection to Plusnet.

I have been in the same situation with F9/Plusnet since Tuesday 20th.
My router Netgear DB824 syncs fine, but can't negotiate LCP at all. I
raised a fault on Wednesday but I haven't had any progress since then.

My sync rates (e.g. upstream 615kbps) suggests my line has been LLU'd to
Tiscali, though I haven't been notified of that. Do you know whether
your friend is now on 2Mb, MaxADSL or LLU?

Peter
Old June 25th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default Connecting to BTexchange but not to ISP.

[...]

The Draytek router gives a lot of information and displays the details of
the connection to BT. No IP address is allocated because that is done by the
ISP.

Peter Crosland

Old June 25th 06, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

(the present router I'm using doesn't appear to have a readily
available logging service so I have no logs with which I can
check)...

would www.l8nc.com help on this aspect? (You could get it to
ping
an IP once a minute and provide graphs of the results for "today"
and
"yesterday")

Interesting idea, only problem is the idea of opening up an account
with a third party & allowing them to ping me 24/7. Not to sure I
like the idea but thanks anyway...

Latest news it has now started again. I just wonder if turning the
router off overnight has allowed the glitch to clear.

More likely forced the BRAS to a lower value

I would be interested to know why. The router had no problem with syncing
with BT at all. This was rock solid but the onward connection to the ISP
failed repeatedly.

Peter Crosland