Designation letters wrong on network

Old June 26th 06, 09:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Blair

Default Designation letters wrong on network

On my XP desktop I get the following: The corresponding letters shown in
My Computer are|:
Programmes C
Spare D Spare
F Own
Data E
Backup F (G) Backup
F (G)

Two are the same, one is wrong and two have the words missing.
What causes this and can it be corrected?
Blair

Old June 26th 06, 10:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

Blair wrote:
On my XP desktop I get the following: The corresponding letters shown in
My Computer are|:
Programmes C
Spare D Spare
F Own
Data E
Backup F (G) Backup
F (G)

Two are the same, one is wrong and two have the words missing.
What causes this and can it be corrected?
Blair

I can't actually read that to see what the problem is!

--
ebay clearout time: http://tinyurl.com/6o5uu
Games, graphics card, and so on.
Old June 26th 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Blair

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
On my XP desktop I get the following: The corresponding letters shown
in My Computer are|:
C Programmes C
Spare D Spare D
F Own
Data E
Backup F (G) Backup F
(G)

Two are the same, one is wrong and two have the words missing.
What causes this and can it be corrected?
Blair

I can't actually read that to see what the problem is!

--
ebay clearout time: http://tinyurl.com/6o5uu
Games, graphics card, and so on.

You are right it does not make sense. I sent it with two separate columns
which somehow have been distorted.
I will try again

On my XP desktop I get the following from My Computer for the 4 partitions
Partition 1 Programmes C
Partition2 Spare D
Partition3 Own data E
Partition4 Backup F
When I look at my network I get the following
Partition1 C
Partition2 Spare D
Partition3 F
Partition4 Backup F (G)

Two are the same, one is wrong and two have the words missing.. The one that
is wrong is for own data and the details are correct

Old June 26th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

Blair wrote:
"[ste parker]" wrote in message

Blair wrote:

[...]

When you say "when I look at my network" what do you mean exactly? Are
you looking at shared drives from another PC? Anyway, you can name the
share whatever you want. On the original PC, right click on the
partition in explorer, go to sharing & security (or to properties, then
the sharing tab) and you'll see the share name.

--
[ste]
Old June 26th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Blair

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
"[ste parker]" wrote in message

Blair wrote:

[...]

I am looking at the list of partitions on my network with 2 PCs.
If I look at Explorer the designation and title are correct so there is no
need to change them but when I look at the same partitions on my network
they are different and could cause confusion. Also I can't change them as I
could with Explorer.
Blair

Old June 26th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Blair wrote in message
:

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
"[ste parker]" wrote in message

I am looking at the list of partitions on my network with 2 PCs.
If I look at Explorer the designation and title are correct so there
is no need to change them but when I look at the same partitions on
my network they are different and could cause confusion. Also I can't
change them as I could with Explorer.

The names of the partitions as seen on the local PC are whatever they were
set to using the volume label in Disk Manager or whatever. The names of the
shared drives which are seen by remote PCs may or may not be the same -
there is no absolute requirement for them to bear any relationship to each
other.

Consider one partition - let's choose the C partition. You could share
folder c:\one as sharename "one" or you could share it as "cabbage";
similarly you could share folder c:\two as "two" or "cauliflower". Notice
that's two different folders on the *same* partition.

I think you are probably sharing the whole of each partition. If I've
understood this correctly and you want each partition to be shared as the
same name as the corresponding partition (volume) label, then this is what
you do:

In Windows Explorer:

- locate the root directory entry - eg Local Disk (C - where the partition
(volume) label is "Local Disk"

- right-click on this entry

- select Sharing and Security from the popup menu

- fill in the required share name - eg make it the same as the partition
name

- OK

Now remote PCs should see the new sharenames - eg if you open a DOS prompt
and do "Net View \\PC" where "PC" is the name of the PC whose shared drives
you are looking at.

Old June 26th 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

Blair wrote:

I am looking at the list of partitions on my network with 2 PCs.

No, you're probably just looking at the name of the share, which may or
may not be the same as the local name of the partition.

If I look at Explorer the designation and title are correct so there is no
need to change them

And in this case you're likely referring to the label assigned to the
partition on the local PC, not the name of the share. You don't need to
change the partition label, you need to change the name of the share,
which you do from the PC containing the drives you're sharing.

but when I look at the same partitions on my network
they are different and could cause confusion.
Also I can't change them as I
could with Explorer.

Why not? Did you check the name of the shares as suggested (and, I
notice, as appears to have been suggested elsewhere, but put into better
terms!)?

--
[ste]
Old June 27th 06, 09:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Blair

"Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote in message
Blair wrote in message
:

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
"[ste parker]" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for your help. It looked as if you had the right solution but when I
went to Explorer and selected Sharing and Security and tried to change the
letter and description I could not make any change. The letter and
description remained as it was.
How can I change it?
Blair

Old June 27th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Blair wrote in
:

Blair wrote in message
:

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
"[ste parker]" wrote in message

[...]

Ah. Sorry. I've just tried this myself. When I was trying it before I chose
a sub-folder, and in that case the sharename field is accessible. For the
root directory, the sharename field seems to be greyed out - it is
hard-coded to be the drive letter of the partition on the local PC.

In that case you'll need to do it the old-fashioned way:

- Open a DOS command prompt window: Start - Run - cmd
- At the C:\ prompt, type the following command:
net share fred=c:\
where "fred" is the name that you want to share the folder as and "c:\" is
the folder to be shared
- Repeat for all the folders (ie partitions) that you want to share
- "net share fred /d" will delete a share
- Confirm the sharenames by typing just "net share" which will list the
shares

Old June 28th 06, 05:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Blair

Blair wrote in message
:

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
"[ste parker]" wrote in message

[...]

I tried the C partition first but there was no change on the Network list. I
then tried My own data E and when I opened Explorer the network had
disappeared. It only shows Home but nothing else.
I am in a panic because my network is important and I must get it back.
Can you tell me how I do this now please.
Blair