ATA recommendation please.

Old June 26th 06, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Wira One

Default ATA recommendation please.

I have Linksys PAP2 right now but it won't allow me from calling/receiving
calls through my land line (NTL). Currently I have two DECT sets at my
house but this is confusing to the children/wife. Most of the time they'll
use the NTL line rather than VOIP set. I'm thinking of buying a Zoom
VOIP ATA 5805 which has so-called Teleport port. Will I be able to
make/receive call through my land line with this particular ATA? What is
the differences (if any) between the Zoom 5800 and 5805? Any other cheaper
alternatives other than this Zoom ATA? Any recommendation is really
appreciated.
Old June 26th 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:59:01 GMT, Wira One
wrote:

I have Linksys PAP2 right now but it won't allow me from calling/receiving
calls through my land line (NTL). Currently I have two DECT sets at my
house but this is confusing to the children/wife. Most of the time they'll
use the NTL line rather than VOIP set. I'm thinking of buying a Zoom
VOIP ATA 5805 which has so-called Teleport port. Will I be able to
make/receive call through my land line with this particular ATA? What is
the differences (if any) between the Zoom 5800 and 5805? Any other cheaper
alternatives other than this Zoom ATA? Any recommendation is really
appreciated.

According to this page
http://tinyurl.com/k7dct
you can use it with PSTN and VoIP. The price is remarkably low
compared to the competition. Someone else might comment on how good
the device is compared to the Linksys/Sipura SPA-3000 which does a
similar job. Looking at the documentation on this page
http://tinyurl.com/hy5qw
it gives the impression of being rather featureless, compared to the
SPA-3000, but then the price is considerably lower.
The SPA-3000 is just short of 60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
a good price.

I am not too sure how easy it is to use the unit with more than one
outgoing provider.

If you are on NTL, and can subscribe to 'broadband only', you might
consider dropping the landline totally. You could get an ATA that
would do 2 lines and let the kids have a line of their own.
Perhaps, if you decided to go down that road you could give it a dry
run before you had your PSTN line disconnected.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old June 26th 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Wira One

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:

it gives the impression of being rather featureless, compared to the
SPA-3000, but then the price is considerably lower.
The SPA-3000 is just short of 60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
a good price.

Thanks Brian, I have had the impression that SPA3000 is too expensive for
me before and that why I didn't take it into consideration at all. It
seems after Linksys taken over the brand from Sipura, it is now at an
affordable price.

I am not too sure how easy it is to use the unit with more than one
outgoing provider.

Well, I am on Voipstunt right now and rarely using my sipgate account to
make a call, as such, I will not miss the two line accounts feature that
my current PAP2 has.

If you are on NTL, and can subscribe to 'broadband only', you might
consider dropping the landline totally. You could get an ATA that would
do 2 lines and let the kids have a line of their own. Perhaps, if you
decided to go down that road you could give it a dry run before you had
your PSTN line disconnected.

I'm on their value bundle, 50/month for 4Meg broadband, Family TV and
talk "unlimited" at the moment (been with them for 6 months now, another
half a year before I can drop the landline option).
Old June 29th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Wira One

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:

The SPA-3000 is just short of 60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
a good price.

Ordered mine from broadbandbuyer yesterday, was expecting that it should
be delivered by today or at least by tomorrow since they've around 200+ in
stock .. it has been a day since I placed my order but .. the status is
still at "waiting for stock allocation" .. argh.. guess there must be a
sudden surge of demand for the SPA3000
Old June 29th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike the Unshavable

Wira One writed in
news
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:40:52 +0000, Brian A wrote:

The SPA-3000 is just short of 60 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and that is
a good price.

Ordered mine from broadbandbuyer yesterday, was expecting that it
should be delivered by today or at least by tomorrow since they've
around 200+ in stock .. it has been a day since I placed my order but
.. the status is still at "waiting for stock allocation" .. argh..
guess there must be a sudden surge of demand for the SPA3000

Curious --- I ordered mine from broadbandbuyer.co.uk at about 9:15 am
Wednesday, put City Link next day delivery on it, and it arrived at about
2pm today (Thursday).
Paid by debit card, rather than credit card if that makes any difference
(it shouldn't)

Spent the afternoon configuring it to work with my DECT phones, BT PSTN
line, Sipgate on line 1, voip.co.uk on gateway 1, and voipfone on gateway
2 - finally got it all working at about 8:30 pm, including modifying the
regional settings to make it sound a bit more like a UK phone - thanks to
the voxilla forum.
Old June 29th 06, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Wiraone

Mike the Unshavable wrote in
:

Wira One writed in
news
[...]

Will see tomorrow if there is any delivery for me. Bought my Linksys
PAP2 from broadbandbuyer too the last time and it was delivered on time.
Hopefully it just the order tracking doesn't work as it should

Anyway, do you need to do anything special to make it compliance with UK
phone system? Do you have a link to any how-to guide on SPA3000? I've
sipgate and voipstunt accounts and thinking of using sipgate & NTL for
incoming calls and voipstunt for outgoing calls.
Old June 29th 06, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr E Mann

"WiraOne" wrote in message
. 99...
[...]

I got one from broadbandbuyer last week... it works great for voip calls,
and there is some excellent monitoring software out there and helpful guides
However, I disconnected it from my pstn, because even after setting all the
UK settings, it is very quiet on pstn calls.
OK, it confuses the mrs with two handsets... I'll try again one day with the
settings to try to sort out the incoming pstn volume, but until then
confusion will remain!

Old June 30th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

WiraOne wrote:

Will see tomorrow if there is any delivery for me. Bought my Linksys
PAP2 from broadbandbuyer too the last time and it was delivered on time.
Hopefully it just the order tracking doesn't work as it should

Anyway, do you need to do anything special to make it compliance with UK
phone system? Do you have a link to any how-to guide on SPA3000? I've
sipgate and voipstunt accounts and thinking of using sipgate & NTL for
incoming calls and voipstunt for outgoing calls.

The general plan to configuring an SPA 3000 appears involve beating your
head against the wall until it bleeds.
Old June 30th 06, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Mr E Mann wrote:

I got one from broadbandbuyer last week... it works great for voip calls,
and there is some excellent monitoring software out there and helpful guides
However, I disconnected it from my pstn, because even after setting all the
UK settings, it is very quiet on pstn calls.

Have you tried changing the Gain settings in the International Controol
part of the PSTN Line configuration page?
Old July 1st 06, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike the Unshavable

WiraOne writed in
. 99:

Anyway, do you need to do anything special to make it compliance with
UK phone system? Do you have a link to any how-to guide on SPA3000?
I've sipgate and voipstunt accounts and thinking of using sipgate &
NTL for incoming calls and voipstunt for outgoing calls.

This thread in Voxilla.com is very useful

http://voxilla.com/index.php?name=PN...963&high ligh
t=uk&sid=a91a247b6e62689dcf3c2b68516b73d6

(or search in Voxilla for UK regionalisation, tones etc. )

I can see why people despair of the settings - but - it does work
straight out of the box, and the only settings you *need* to change are
to input your voip provider credentials. There are other settings which
are highly desirable, like setting the dial plan to dial out 999 calls,
and others which are nice to have - like the UK regionalisation which
makes the tones sound more familiar.