Cables

Old June 27th 06, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zzaaarathustra

Default Cables

What's the best telephone extension to use?

At Maplins they've got special broadband telephone extensions, but the guy
there couldn't tell me why they were special.

I'm having problems using broadband at the end of an extension.

I tried old extension chords, which worked sometimes, but then didn't.

So I bought a brand new shinny Tesco extension lead, which worked very well,
but now the connection's going on and off.

I tried replacing the cable from the hub to PC, but that didn't effect
anything.

Now I'm getting the message, LAC now connected' and then 'a network cable is
unplugged' back and forth.

Can I use any old telephone chord, a new chord, a good quality new chord, or
just learn to play the guitar.

Thanks

Old June 27th 06, 01:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"Zzaaarathustra" wrote in message
What's the best telephone extension to use?

At Maplins they've got special broadband telephone extensions, but the guy
there couldn't tell me why they were special.

I'm having problems using broadband at the end of an extension.

I tried old extension chords, which worked sometimes, but then didn't.

So I bought a brand new shinny Tesco extension lead, which worked very
well, but now the connection's going on and off.

I tried replacing the cable from the hub to PC, but that didn't effect
anything.

Now I'm getting the message, LAC now connected' and then 'a network cable
is unplugged' back and forth.

Can I use any old telephone chord, a new chord, a good quality new chord,
or just learn to play the guitar.

The fact you are getting the message "LAN now connected' and then 'a network
cable is unplugged" makes me assume you have a router that is connected to
the PC with an RJ45 network cable (if you look at the connection in the back
of the PC, it has 8 contacts, and looks a bit like a large telephone plug)

If this is the case, then the problem is between the router and the PC
It could be the router's network socket (try another one if it has one!) you
could have a crap patch cable between the router and the PC, or (and I have
seen this several times) you may have a flakey network card in the PC. (This
can also be the result of a flakey power line on your PC's power supply)
Can you obtain another PC/Laptop the test?

Anyway, your telephone cables question...

The best type to use is a twisted pair cable.

You need to make sure that all wiring from the master socket to your ADSL
device is twisted pair, but most importantly, the correct wires are used
with this cable.

You MUST have pins 2 and 5 on one pair (usually the blue pair)

The only other terminal you need to connect is pin 3, this is usually
connected to the orange wire (with white stripes)
For completeness, you may also want to connect the white and orange wire to
terminal 4, it serves no purpose, other than looking tidier!

The best thing to do, is to install a new socket where you want the ADSL
device, using solid core telephone cable (You can buy it from places like
TLC.

It can be bought by the meter here
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAGPO6.html

You will need an extension telephone socket like this
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GP23A.html

You could use one of these instead, then you don't need a filter
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPADSLS.html
You will then need one of these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AA125MB.html

You then need the insertion tool, for connecting the wires properly
This one is cheap and cheerful, OK for a few uses
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPTOOL.html

This one is the "proper" one
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPT107.html

DON'T use a screwdriver to poke the wires in!

Don't use the extension leads with flat cable, they are crap for broadband
(because all the wires are straight, not twisted)

You will probably need to fix the new wiring to the wall (unless you can
take it under the floor)
You can use these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TCR35.html

or if you are feeling posh, one of these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DR930.html

You could also, if you have an NTE5 master socket like this
http://www.austin-taylor.co.uk/images/nte5ext.jpg
change the lower portion of the faceplate with the second item on this page
http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

You then need to install an RJ11 socket where your ADSL equipment is,
solwise also have these a bit further down on this page " RJ11 Linejack"
http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

Old June 27th 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zzaaarathustra

Thanks for the excellent information.

1
So I should just go out and buy the round telephone cable, that can be
bought from electric shops?

2
What does 'twisted pair' mean?

3
'You MUST have pins 2 and 5 on one pair (usually the blue pair)'
Does this mean they are on the same socket, what do you mean by pair?

Here's strangest thing is.. it works fine for days, but then will just stop
working, then work again. But if I don't use a cable from the hub to PC,
then its fine on wireless. But this can't be a faulty cable, as I've tried
two cables to the PC. Perhaps this is, as you said, a faulty card.

Thanks

Old June 27th 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"Sparks" wrote in message

"Zzaaarathustra" wrote in message

What's the best telephone extension to use?

The best type to use is a twisted pair cable.

Thanks for the excellent information.

1
So I should just go out and buy the round telephone cable, that can be
bought from electric shops?

If you want to re-do the telephone side, that's what I would do, however
this is not your problem.

2
What does 'twisted pair' mean?

If you cut off the outer (usually white) insulation of the cable, you will
see (in the example I posted) 6 wires in three groups of two.
each group of two is twisted together, so you have a blue wire with white
stripes and a white wire with blue stripes twisted together - this is one
pair.
The same applies with an orange pair, and also a green pair.
Here is an example of a 25 pair cable (This has 50 wires total)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

3
'You MUST have pins 2 and 5 on one pair (usually the blue pair)'
Does this mean they are on the same socket, what do you mean by pair?

Hopefully answered above, yes all in the same socket!

Your line comes in as two wires.
It enters the first socket in the house, this is your master socket.
The master socket's function is to split out the voice and the ring signal
from two wires, to three.

The incoming line is connected to terminals A and B in the master socket,
this is in turn, connected to terminals 2 and 5.
The master socket then creates a third connection "terminal 3"
all your extensions should then have tree wires connected 2&5 and 3.
You can connect these however you like, either directly from the master
socket, or from any extension, as long as every socket has a connection to
pins 2&5 and 3 that eventually goes back to the master socket, it will
work - (In other words, you do not need to take every extension back to the
master socket)

The reason for 2 and 5 to be on the same pair is because your voice and the
broadband signal goes down these two wires (the other one (terminal 3) is to
provide a ringing signal to phones that do not take this from the voice
pair)

Having the voice wires twisted together stops the cable picking up signals
from external sources like mains cables etc.
It is explained a bit better here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

Here's strangest thing is.. it works fine for days, but then will just
stop working, then work again. But if I don't use a cable from the hub to
PC, then its fine on wireless. But this can't be a faulty cable, as I've
tried two cables to the PC. Perhaps this is, as you said, a faulty card.

Then it is definitely not the telephone side of things causing the problem
if the wireless works fine.

I would be tempted to either use wireless, or just replace the card and
patch cable
A new card is less then 3
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/104381
5M Patch cable - 1.65
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/25525

This may not solve the problem, as the problem may be the wired ports on the
router, or could be a power supply problem with the PC (Is the PC behaving
it's self otherwise?)