Calculating broadband usage (are there utilities to calculate?)

Old June 27th 06, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Calculating broadband usage (are there utilities to calculate?)

I've had an email from Pipex stating "you have now used more than 70%
of your current usage allowance for this period".

We have a 2gb allowance but I'd consider us as light users - we don't
download music. i sometimes work from home remotely to my office.
This month I've had quite a few photos emailed.

I'm not sure exactly what goes towards the 2gb allowance and was
wondering if there's a utilty that will monitor your usage whilst
connected to the internet.

Thanks
Frank

Old June 27th 06, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

I've had an email from Pipex stating "you have now used more than 70%
of your current usage allowance for this period".

We have a 2gb allowance but I'd consider us as light users - we don't
download music. i sometimes work from home remotely to my office.
This month I've had quite a few photos emailed.

I'm not sure exactly what goes towards the 2gb allowance and was
wondering if there's a utilty that will monitor your usage whilst
connected to the internet.

Thanks
Frank

Frank,

I use a piece of software called DU Meter, it costs about 11 ($19.95)
http://www.dumeter.com/

It give you a break down of your download and upload amounts, such as
below -
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9892/dumeter2xv.jpg

You 2gb allowance would be based on downloads only, so if you used DU
Meter, you'd be able to keep and eye on that.

Chegs.

Old June 27th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've had an email from Pipex stating "you have now used more than 70%
of your current usage allowance for this period".

We have a 2gb allowance but I'd consider us as light users - we don't
download music. i sometimes work from home remotely to my office.
This month I've had quite a few photos emailed.

I'm not sure exactly what goes towards the 2gb allowance and was
wondering if there's a utilty that will monitor your usage whilst
connected to the internet.

Thanks
Frank

The best FREE utility for this purpose is 'Bandwidth Monitor' from
www.rokario.com which calculates up and downstream on a monthly basis. If
you have a number of computers networked, you need one copy on each machine.

Easy to install and reliable

Old June 27th 06, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave P

"
The best FREE utility for this purpose is 'Bandwidth Monitor' from
www.rokario.com which calculates up and downstream on a monthly basis. If
you have a number of computers networked, you need one copy on each
machine.

Easy to install and reliable

The problem I have is that my usage monitor doesn't separate internet
traffic from network traffic. My figures look huge but that's because I move
photos around the network.

Dave

--
"Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is interesting. What they
conceal is vital. "

Old June 27th 06, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hermit

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've had an email from Pipex stating "you have now used more than 70%
of your current usage allowance for this period".

We have a 2gb allowance but I'd consider us as light users - we don't
download music. i sometimes work from home remotely to my office.
This month I've had quite a few photos emailed.

I'm not sure exactly what goes towards the 2gb allowance and was
wondering if there's a utilty that will monitor your usage whilst
connected to the internet.

Thanks
Frank

I use a free utility called NetMeter, and am very happy with it.

http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

Old June 27th 06, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

[snip]

You 2gb allowance would be based on downloads only, so if you used DU
Meter, you'd be able to keep and eye on that.

Are you sure about that? IIRC most ISPs quote a sum of up and down.

I'll put my hand up if I'm wrong, but I was of the opinion that capped
packages were 'normally' based on downloads only.

I am however happy to accept if it's not.

Old June 27th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

You 2gb allowance would be based on downloads only, so if you used DU
Meter, you'd be able to keep and eye on that.

Are you sure about that? IIRC most ISPs quote a sum of up and down.

I'll put my hand up if I'm wrong, but I was of the opinion that capped
packages were 'normally' based on downloads only.

I am however happy to accept if it's not.

By way of example here's the Orange (nee Wanadoo T&Cs):

"2.4 You are allowed to use the Broadband Access Services to access
the Member Services and download and/or upload data up to your monthly
Usage Allowance......"

And Eclipse says in its definitions within theT&Cs:

"Usage - the amount of data transferred over the Service to You
measured in gigabytes (GB) (both downloads
and uploads);"

Hey ho!

Old June 27th 06, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:09:29 UTC, Mark wrote:

I'll put my hand up if I'm wrong, but I was of the opinion that capped
packages were 'normally' based on downloads only.

I am however happy to accept if it's not.

By way of example here's the Orange (nee Wanadoo T&Cs):

And Eclipse says in its definitions within theT&Cs:

However, it's not universal. From the AAISP tariff:

"The tariff is based on the amount of data you download at peak times
(8am-6pm Mon-Fri) only. Usage outside that time, and uplink (sending to
the internet) is not part of the tariff. This is a big difference from
many other ISPs that charge for any usage at any time of day or night."

http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old June 27th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

[snip]

You 2gb allowance would be based on downloads only, so if you used
DU Meter, you'd be able to keep and eye on that.

Are you sure about that? IIRC most ISPs quote a sum of up and down.

Most do, although Zen do not.

I stand corrected! As a Zen user, maybe I was being to generalistic.

I apoligise for any offence I may have caused.............

Old June 27th 06, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

In article , We Are Devo! devo.usenet
@NOSPAMgooglemail.com writes
On 27/06/2006 at 10:40:30 Mark wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:39:14 +0100, CheggersPop
wrote:

[snip]

You 2gb allowance would be based on downloads only, so if you used
DU Meter, you'd be able to keep and eye on that.

Are you sure about that? IIRC most ISPs quote a sum of up and down.

Most do, although Zen do not.

NDO/Namesco only count downloads as well.

--
Paul