Best model of microfilter ?

Old June 27th 06, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
adsl

Default Best model of microfilter ?

To help make sure my adsl max works well i'm thinking
of upgrading the microfilters to something decent not 1.99 ones

any recommendations or models ?

Old June 27th 06, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

"adsl" wrote in message
To help make sure my adsl max works well i'm thinking
of upgrading the microfilters to something decent not 1.99 ones

any recommendations or models ?

The ADSL doesn't need filtering, only the phones.
I have compared cheapo filters against more expensive ones and they have no
effect on the line speed of Max.

As I have said already, the only purpose of a filter is to cut out noise on
the line when using a phone on it.
The best way to ensure highest speed, is to connect the ADSL modem directly
to the line and just use a single filter in the line before the phone feed.

Bill

Old June 28th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Cain

"Bill" wrote in message ...

The best way to ensure highest speed, is to connect the ADSL modem
directly
to the line and just use a single filter in the line before the phone
feed.

......... but, I have found that, if you have more than 2 phones, the cheapo
filters do not pass sufficient "ring current" to ring all phones.

Old June 28th 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Winkless

Bill wrote:

"adsl" wrote in message
To help make sure my adsl max works well i'm thinking
of upgrading the microfilters to something decent not 1.99 ones

any recommendations or models ?

The ADSL doesn't need filtering, only the phones.
I have compared cheapo filters against more expensive ones and they have no
effect on the line speed of Max.

As I have said already, the only purpose of a filter is to cut out noise on
the line when using a phone on it.
The best way to ensure highest speed, is to connect the ADSL modem directly
to the line and just use a single filter in the line before the phone feed.

Utter nonsense.

I have an ADSLNation X1e and a bog-standard 3-for-a-fiver filter from
ebay. If I plug in the x1e I get synch rate of around 7000kbps. If I
plug in the cheap filter I get between 4000 and 5000. This is consistent
and repeatable.

Geoff
Old June 28th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Munish

"Geoff Winkless" ] wrote in message
Bill wrote:

"adsl" wrote in message
[...]

Same here. I bought some cheapo ADSL filters and couldn't understand why
the noise margin was fluctuating between 15db and 9db. I had kept a spare
filter just in-case, and that had the same problem. This was before MaxDSL,
about a year ago. I went through BT fault checker and there was no problem
with my line.

I heard about these XF-1e ADSL nation filters, I was very sceptical. I
tried these and it cured my problem.

I'm now on MAX and get a constant noise margin of 6db and line speed of
6.5Mbps. I had to loan my XF-1e filter to a friend for about a week so that
he could test if he got any improvement (which he did) and while I was using
my cheapo filter on MAX, the maximum speed I could get was between 3 -
4Mbps.

Munish

Old June 28th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
adsl

mine is 8.5 db - my line is purely for adsl (but may change i guess)

1) if just for adsl - could i plug straight into the socket and maybe get
better values ?

2) would it still be worth getting those adls nation ones ? - i can handle a
couple of quid for a
line improvement

thanks

Old June 28th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"adsl" wrote in message
news

mine is 8.5 db - my line is purely for adsl (but may change i guess)

1) if just for adsl - could i plug straight into the socket and maybe get
better values ?

2) would it still be worth getting those adls nation ones ? - i can handle

couple of quid for a
line improvement

thanks

If you hang about a couple of days, I`ll give you my results of an ADSL
Nation Filter, compared to a cheapo one. I`ll be suprised if they are any
better than anything else... I am borrowing one on Friday.

In the mean time, if your line is just for ADSL, then yes, just go straight
into the line. Your modem/router does not need a filter, they are already
inbuilt into the modem/router.

You will almost definitely see an improvement by doing this. Let us know a
before and after result if you would. I would estimate it will increase to
around 10-12.

Tony

Old June 28th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Bill wrote:
"adsl" wrote in message

To help make sure my adsl max works well i'm thinking
of upgrading the microfilters to something decent not 1.99 ones

any recommendations or models ?

The ADSL doesn't need filtering, only the phones.
I have compared cheapo filters against more expensive ones and they have no
effect on the line speed of Max.

As I have said already, the only purpose of a filter is to cut out noise on
the line when using a phone on it.
The best way to ensure highest speed, is to connect the ADSL modem directly
to the line and just use a single filter in the line before the phone feed.

Bill

Not quite Bill.

A good filter/splitter contains three important units.

1) A filter in the 'speech' side to keep the bottom of the ADSL spectrum
off the phone.

2) A filter in the ADSL side to isolate your modem at the ADSL
frequencies from all the other telephone wiring in the house so the
changing impedance of phones being 'lifted' etc does not affect the
modem. If nothing else, a capacitor to stop varying DC voltages on the
line/ringing affecting the modem.

3) a 'ring' capacitor to make the bell ring in the phone. This is so
that one can disconnect the 'ring' wire after the master socket. This is
sometimes a good thing as it has residual ADSL data on it and sends a
'onelegged' version of the signal down the cable to subsequent sockets
which can upset the proper balanced ADSL signal.

I have a few 'cheap filters' (1.25 from CPC - branded Commtel)and they
only have a very simple item 1 inside. The ADSL socket is connected
directly across the 'line' terminals.

If you open a proper branded BT filter, it has all the components above
and even small value extra capacitors to give really good terminating
impedance all round.

The Speedtouch ones that come with their modems are also pretty good and
don't even have the 3rd wire pin in the BT plug side.

I havent taken my ADSL NTE5 frontplate filter apart but I think these
also have all the necessary components.

Mike

Old June 29th 06, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

m wrote:

3) a 'ring' capacitor to make the bell ring in the phone. This is so
that one can disconnect the 'ring' wire after the master socket.
This
is sometimes a good thing as it has residual ADSL data on it and
sends a 'onelegged' version of the signal down the cable to
subsequent sockets which can upset the proper balanced ADSL signal.

Hmmm, never heard of that one, but it has been proven that the bell
wire can pick up RF interferrence & feed that back to the master &
inject it onto the ADSL signal causing a severe drop in SNR, even to
the extent of stopping/blocking the ADSL working altogether

Old June 29th 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , m wrote

If you open a proper branded BT filter,

See