Faceplate v. microfilters

Old June 28th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

Default Faceplate v. microfilters

I've got the double faceplate installed by BT when I took out my ADSL
connection back in the early days. I've heard a few comments that it's not
as good as a high-quality microfilter, and wondered what the general view
is?

TIA

Old June 28th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

"Trent SC" wrote in message
I've got the double faceplate installed by BT when I took out my ADSL
connection back in the early days. I've heard a few comments that it's
not as good as a high-quality microfilter, and wondered what the general
view is?

TIA

I've only recently had the double ADSL faceplate installed and the
performance is superior to the microfilter that was supplied along with my
router. As a number of changes were made, I have no way of telling exactly
what part of the process was at fault but at least the ADSL faceplate is
more convenient and looks neater !

Old June 28th 06, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , Trent
SC wrote
I've got the double faceplate installed by BT when I took out my ADSL
connection back in the early days. I've heard a few comments that it's not
as good as a high-quality microfilter, and wondered what the general view
is?

You can buy different quality filters built into a faceplate - the
components in a faceplate filter may be identical to those fitted in a
discrete micro-filter..

http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old June 29th 06, 02:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:44:26 +0100, "Trent SC"
wrote:

I've got the double faceplate installed by BT when I took out my ADSL
connection back in the early days. I've heard a few comments that it's not
as good as a high-quality microfilter, and wondered what the general view
is?

As a general rule, faceplates are better than microfilters.

But a high quality microfilter *may* be better than a cheapo (or very
old) faceplate.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Microsoft Windows... a virus with mouse support.
Old June 29th 06, 02:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

I've got the double faceplate installed by BT when I took out my
ADSL
connection back in the early days. I've heard a few comments that
it's not as good as a high-quality microfilter, and wondered what
the general view is?

As a general rule, faceplates are better than microfilters.

But a high quality microfilter *may* be better than a cheapo (or
very
old) faceplate.

On the other hand I've never had experience of a faceplate going
faulty, but know plenty of plugin one which have. You pays your money
& takes your choice, it's as simple as that, but personally I would go
for a faceplate filter, albiet an old one

Old June 29th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pier Danone

"kráftéé" [email protected] you know what'sgoodforu.pus.com wrote
in message ...
| Alex Heney wrote:
| On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:44:26 +0100, "Trent SC"
| wrote:
|
| I've got the double faceplate installed by BT when I took out my
| ADSL
| connection back in the early days. I've heard a few comments that
| it's not as good as a high-quality microfilter, and wondered what
| the general view is?
|

| As a general rule, faceplates are better than microfilters.
|
| But a high quality microfilter *may* be better than a cheapo (or
| very
| old) faceplate.
|
| On the other hand I've never had experience of a faceplate going
| faulty,

Unlucky you. I have had around half a dozen of the BT NTE2000 Filters going
faulty. Usually silly things, like shutters failing, but several where they put
loops on the line or the extension output stopped working. But, on the over
hand, it's been hundreds of the MF50's.......

Old June 30th 06, 07:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveB

My experience of old genuine BT ADSL faceplates is that they are chock full
of internal pcb plugs/sockets that keep going intermittent. My adslnation
Xf-1e microfilter gives an extra couple of dB S/N and much less phone noise
than the BT faceplate or several microfilters I've tried, one just as
expensive as the Xf-1e. A newer faceplate could be a different story of
course.