Broadband speed control

Old June 28th 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SK

Default Broadband speed control

Hello,

I am currently sharing my broadband among various computers through a
Netgear wireless router and want to restrict each PC's download and
upload speed.

Do you know any way of fixing the bandwidth shared by different PC's in
the router or by any other means???

Old June 29th 06, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

SK wrote:
Hello,

I am currently sharing my broadband among various computers through a
Netgear wireless router and want to restrict each PC's download and
upload speed.

Do you know any way of fixing the bandwidth shared by different PC's in
the router or by any other means???

Zyxel routers have a facility called Bandwidth Management which allows
you to do exactly what you want. As far as I know they're the only
'mass produced' routers for the consumer market which have this
facility.

--
Chris Green

Old June 30th 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:19:09 -0100, tinnews wrote:

SK wrote:
Hello,

I am currently sharing my broadband among various computers through a
Netgear wireless router and want to restrict each PC's download and
upload speed.

Do you know any way of fixing the bandwidth shared by different PC's in
the router or by any other means???

Zyxel routers have a facility called Bandwidth Management which allows
you to do exactly what you want. As far as I know they're the only
'mass produced' routers for the consumer market which have this
facility.

This kind of thing normally works by queuing packets in the router. That's
very effective for uploads, where the queues are before the ADSL
bottleneck, but much less effective for downloads. Effective download
management would require the router transparently proxying all TCP
connections and managing the TCP windows - I don't know anything that does
that.