Query on Max Product

Old June 28th 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Atropos

Default Query on Max Product

Hi All.

I've just moved to the Max product with Freedom 2 Surf. I'm a little fuzzy
on what I should be expecting, so I just wanted to run it past you guys.

My Wireless router is reporting a connection of 8128Kbps downstream and
448Kbps upstream.
(Although my exchange Dorchester is supposedly only capable of upto
4.00Mb/s)

My actual speeds seem closer to 1500Kbps down and 336Kbps Up. Is this about
right or a tad slow?

With regards to the 10 day BT monitoring period - that appears to have
passed today. Or is this 'working days'?

Thanks

Dave

Old June 28th 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Atropos wrote:
Hi All.

I've just moved to the Max product with Freedom 2 Surf. I'm a little
fuzzy on what I should be expecting, so I just wanted to run it past
you guys.
My Wireless router is reporting a connection of 8128Kbps downstream
and 448Kbps upstream.
(Although my exchange Dorchester is supposedly only capable of upto
4.00Mb/s)

My actual speeds seem closer to 1500Kbps down and 336Kbps Up. Is
this
about right or a tad slow?

With regards to the 10 day BT monitoring period - that appears to
have
passed today. Or is this 'working days'?

Give a bit of a fudge factor with the training/monitoring as it can
take a little longer.

Your wifi link could be a choke point for you so the only way to see
the real results would be with a cable link.

Old June 29th 06, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , Atropos
wrote
Hi All.

I've just moved to the Max product with Freedom 2 Surf. I'm a little fuzzy
on what I should be expecting, so I just wanted to run it past you guys.

My Wireless router is reporting a connection of 8128Kbps downstream and
448Kbps upstream.
(Although my exchange Dorchester is supposedly only capable of upto
4.00Mb/s)

My actual speeds seem closer to 1500Kbps down and 336Kbps Up. Is this about
right or a tad slow?

With regards to the 10 day BT monitoring period - that appears to have
passed today. Or is this 'working days'?

Go to the F2S members page

In the 'Your ADSL Details' section
Select 'Your Detail'

You should find an entry
8 MBit Max Stable Rate
8 MBit Fault Threshold Rate

My F2S entry took around 30 days to appear but I re-graded within days
of F2S first offering the service.).

My entry says
8 MBit Max Stable Rate 7968 Kb/s
8 MBit Fault Threshold Rate 5555 Kb/s

On a good day I get a 4/5M download rate and on a bad day closer to 1M
bits.

Try downloading the test file from F2S at
http://www.f2s.net/help/8mbtechfaq.php

and in the FAQ entry labelled
'My modem/router is compatible with speeds over 2mbps but still it seems
slow.'

Click on the word 'here' to download a 8Mbyte test file - and check via
your browser (I use Opera which gives a download speed indication) or a
stopwatch to see what download speeds you are getting.

Try also after resetting your router/modem. Your equipment may be
automatically re-negotiating a slower connection every time the line
has a problem and manually resetting the router/modem may get you the
better download/upload speeds.

Download a (free) speed checker to your own computer
http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/

and try it at various time during the day, and at various times during
the week. You may find that at 3am the downloads are super fast but
during the peak UK times downloads are somewhat slower. This says more
about ADSL contention ratios and the Net rather than the quality of your
line

See also
http://www.f2s.net/help/tutorials/1/
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks?text=1

depending on your operating system, changing some of the defaults (in
my experience) can make a significant difference.

BTW, I was experiencing regular line drops, for 30 seconds at a time
and 2/4 times a day. I changed my micro-filter for a filtered face-plate
next to the BT master socket - and found no difference in reliability.
On removing many phone extensions in my house as they were no longer
needed as I now use DECT phones my ADSL connection improved dramatically
with, on average, one line drop (for 30 seconds) every 4/5 days.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old June 29th 06, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Atropos

In the 'Your ADSL Details' section
Select 'Your Detail'

You should find an entry
8 MBit Max Stable Rate
8 MBit Fault Threshold Rate

No such entry exists so far.

My F2S entry took around 30 days to appear but I re-graded within days of
F2S first offering the service.).

Try downloading the test file from F2S at
http://www.f2s.net/help/8mbtechfaq.php

Last night I was getting 270KB/s, this morning I'm getting 400KB/s ;-)

Try also after resetting your router/modem. Your equipment may be
automatically re-negotiating a slower connection every time the line has
a problem and manually resetting the router/modem may get you the better
download/upload speeds.

Done this morning, speeds have improved.

Adslguide is now reporting my down speed as 4.4Mbps(from the hard-wired PC)
and 2.5Mbps from the wireless laptop.

Aside, the laptop does all the downloads. Would it make more sense to have
the laptop hardwired and the PC wireless?