Networking only one way

Old June 29th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

Default Networking only one way

I have a LaptopXP networked to a desktopXP via a Router and the desktop can
see the full network but the laptop cannot and I get a message Home is not
available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The
network path was not found.
The laptop uses a wireless connection and the Desktop uses an ethernet
connection.I can ping the laptop from the desktp but the othreway |I get
Timed out.
I feel that it is some simple setting that is causing this and although I
have looked at all the posssible settings I can't get any further.
I have tiurned off both XPs Firewall
What can be causing this?
Blair

Old June 29th 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John P

Blair wrote:
I have a LaptopXP networked to a desktopXP via a Router and the desktop can
see the full network but the laptop cannot and I get a message Home is not
available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The
network path was not found.
The laptop uses a wireless connection and the Desktop uses an ethernet
connection.I can ping the laptop from the desktp but the othreway |I get
Timed out.
I feel that it is some simple setting that is causing this and although I
have looked at all the posssible settings I can't get any further.
I have tiurned off both XPs Firewall
What can be causing this?
Blair

Do you have any of the Norton products installed?
Old June 29th 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Blair wrote:
I have a LaptopXP networked to a desktopXP via a Router and the desktop can
see the full network but the laptop cannot and I get a message Home is not
available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The
network path was not found.
The laptop uses a wireless connection and the Desktop uses an ethernet
connection.I can ping the laptop from the desktp but the othreway |I get
Timed out.
I feel that it is some simple setting that is causing this and although I
have looked at all the posssible settings I can't get any further.
I have tiurned off both XPs Firewall
What can be causing this?
Blair

Couple of things...

1. Is IP forwarding enabled on the desktop PC?
2. Are the laptop, PC and router all on the same, or different, subnets?

xF,

....Nick
Old June 29th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pickard

"Blair" wrote in message
I have a LaptopXP networked to a desktopXP via a Router and the desktop can
see the full network but the laptop cannot and I get a message Home is not
available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The
network path was not found.
The laptop uses a wireless connection and the Desktop uses an ethernet
connection.I can ping the laptop from the desktp but the othreway |I get
Timed out.
I feel that it is some simple setting that is causing this and although I
have looked at all the posssible settings I can't get any further.
I have tiurned off both XPs Firewall
What can be causing this?
Blair

Are they both in the same Workgroup?

Simon

Old June 29th 06, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Blair wrote:
I have a LaptopXP networked to a desktopXP via a Router and the desktop
can
see the full network but the laptop cannot and I get a message Home is not
available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The
network path was not found.
The laptop uses a wireless connection and the Desktop uses an ethernet
connection.I can ping the laptop from the desktp but the othreway |I get
Timed out.
I feel that it is some simple setting that is causing this and although I
have looked at all the posssible settings I can't get any further.
I have tiurned off both XPs Firewall
What can be causing this?
Blair

Have you had Norton internet security on at any time? Removing this can
interfere with the networking abilities, try this little gem

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Control
\Lsa
Value name: RestrictAnonymous
Value type: DWORD

If the value is 1 or even 2, change it to 0, reboot and retest. If the
problem is solved, leave the value at zero. If not, you can change it back
if you like.

courtesy of http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

If that doesnt solve it, walk your way through the guide above.

Gaz

Old June 29th 06, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:49:52 UTC, "Simon Pickard"
wrote:

"Blair" wrote in message
The laptop uses a wireless connection and the Desktop uses an ethernet
connection.I can ping the laptop from the desktp but the othreway |I get
Timed out.

Are they both in the same Workgroup?

Completely irrelevant for pings.

http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old June 29th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"John P" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
I have a LaptopXP networked to a desktopXP via a Router and the desktop
can
see the full network but the laptop cannot and I get a message Home is
not
available. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
The
network path was not found.
The laptop uses a wireless connection and the Desktop uses an ethernet
connection.I can ping the laptop from the desktp but the othreway |I get
Timed out.
I feel that it is some simple setting that is causing this and although I
have looked at all the posssible settings I can't get any further.
I have tiurned off both XPs Firewall
What can be causing this?
Blair

Do you have any of the Norton products installed?

I used to have but got rid of Norton
Blair

Old June 29th 06, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Blair wrote:
"John P" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
[...]

ipstack possibly. Check the registry setting i suggested.

Gaz

Old June 29th 06, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"Nicholas Thomas" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
[...]

I can't see any reference to IP forwarding. Where will I see this?
The laptop and the PC are on the same subnets namely 255.255.255.0 and I'm
afraid I can't find how do see the routers subnet although I did so before.
Can you help here?
Regards
Blair

Old June 29th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:47:51 UTC, "Blair" wrote:

The laptop and the PC are on the same subnets namely 255.255.255.0 and I'm
afraid I can't find how do see the routers subnet although I did so before.

No, that just means they have the same subnet mask.

Look at the IP addresses for each machine. They are (as I'm sure you
know) of the form:

a.b.c.d

If the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 then the values for a, b and c MUST
be the same on both machines for them to be on the same subnet. d must
of course be different, and not 0 or 255.

If all this is the case, check the default routes for each. Should be
via their own IP address in each case, but not having a Windows machine
anywhere near I can't check the exact place. Use the ipconfig /all
command to get lots of info.

http://www.broadbandbanter.com