Is my old line to blame for lack of sync speed?

Old June 29th 06, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Is my old line to blame for lack of sync speed?

Just moved to a new property and I notice that the line is really old. On
enabling ADSL Max, the maximum sync speed is less than 2mbit. Speaking to a
close neighbour, he says his ADSL Max syncs at 7.3Mbit. His line is new.
Could it be the old line that is holding my speed back?

I value your comments
steve

Old June 29th 06, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"Steve" wrote in message
Just moved to a new property and I notice that the line is really old. On
enabling ADSL Max, the maximum sync speed is less than 2mbit. Speaking to
close neighbour, he says his ADSL Max syncs at 7.3Mbit. His line is new.
Could it be the old line that is holding my speed back?

I value your comments
steve

How have you noticed you line is "really old"? Is it cloth covered cable or
open wires from a pole? Have you tried line at nte with all internal
unplugged ie. In the test socket?

Old June 29th 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"SJP" wrote in message
news

"Steve" wrote in message
Just moved to a new property and I notice that the line is really old.

On
enabling ADSL Max, the maximum sync speed is less than 2mbit. Speaking

close neighbour, he says his ADSL Max syncs at 7.3Mbit. His line is

new.
Could it be the old line that is holding my speed back?

I value your comments
steve

How have you noticed you line is "really old"? Is it cloth covered cable

or
open wires from a pole? Have you tried line at nte with all internal
unplugged ie. In the test socket?

The line is grey coloured wires (twin) looks like speaker cable (shaped like
a figure 8).

No NTE socket either. Just some non-standard master socket by the look of
it. No BT marking on the outside anyway : )

Cable has a two insulated single cores. Neighbours wire is black and round
in profile.

I reckon its well old.

Comments please???

steve

Old June 29th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"Steve" wrote in message

"SJP" wrote in message
news

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

As you say that dos sound like the old type dropwire with untwisted pairs
and the socket with no bt markings sounds suspect as well! :-(

Old June 29th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Steve wrote:
"SJP" wrote in message
news

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like old dropwire 4, which can be perfectly ok, but then again
if it's been damaged could be causing you a problem. The clue is how
does it affect your voice calls, if they are intermitently noisey it
could be the leadin. Having said that the reason your neighbour is
getting a faster speed could be because he is on a different cable
route than you & even possibly on a completely different exchange.
Now try explaining that last one to a person who can't even get RADSL
when the person opposite to him can & they are fed from the same pole,
but from different exchanges, that's a challenge I can tell you.

Old June 29th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"SJP" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message

"SJP" wrote in message
news

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Thats what I think. : (

I would really like to hear some words of wisdom from a BT engineer etc. Is
this line likely to be the cause of problems with line sync speed on Max?
and how much would it cost for BT to put things right??

steve

Old June 29th 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"kráftéé" [email protected] you know what'sgoodforu.pus.com
wrote in message ...
Steve wrote:
"SJP" wrote in message
news

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,

I assume from your post that you are an engineer?? How much better is the
new type cable than the dropwire 4 that you think I am using here? Is it
better at improving SNR or is it no better at all ? Do you think
improvments could be had (maybe) by replacing the line? How is the new type
cable constructed? Is there a website which shows its construction?

steve

Old June 29th 06, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Steve" wrote in message

Why did they change from using dropwire 4, if it was OK for the job ?

steve

Old June 29th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Steve wrote:
"kráftéé" [email protected] you know
what'sgoodforu.pus.com wrote in message
Steve wrote:
"SJP" wrote in message
news
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

As I have already posted, if the cable is not damaged the it would
make little difference (it's a balanced pair & if anything the
conductors are thicker, which is good). The new leadin cables have
thinner conductors & you have 2 twisted pairs, which won't make any
diference unless the old cable is damaged/cracked etc.

The reasons why your neighbour gets a diferent speed to you are many
fold ranging from better filters/routers to different copper paths to
the exchange to even them being on another exchange altogether.

BT won't change the leadin free of charge unless it's normal wear &
tear damage, cracked insulation, brittle insulation, corrosion etc. so
if you go out & cut it tomorrow you will be charged.

Are your voice calls noisey, yes or no. If they are report it to BT &
the first thing which may be done is that your leadin will be changed,
no guarantees but very likely.

As for websites about cable construction etc, you've got the internet,
you can search Google, do you really think I'm that sad that after
over 9 hours at work I come back here & start it all over again out of
shear bliss, if so you are a very sad person.

Old June 29th 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

wrote in message ...

[...]

Sorry if I offended you in some way.. I never intended to do so.

I assumed that new dropwires were different in that they handled newer
techologies (like broadband) better.
Perhaps I was wrong? Maybe they changed to this new stuff because its cheap
and cheerful : )

I see problems and answers in 'black and white', for me there are no grey
areas, and I like to know why something fails when it fails. I'm not good
at taking answers like 'well it could be this, or 'it could be that' I
accept there are many reasons why something doesn't work at its best, my
problem is, I like to know which reason is failing me. I was just looking
for a few answers to (what I thought) were reasonable questions.

Because this dropwire is so old, I thought that might be causing my low sync
speed, but the line is not giving me any problems on voice calls.

Anyway I apolgise once more. Sorry to be a pain.

steve