Want webspace without hosting

Old June 30th 06, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Devros

Default Want webspace without hosting

My ISP doesn't provide webspace, so I'm looking for some space, either
rented or free, without the hassle of hosting - anyone know where I can
get some?

Cheers,

Si.

Old June 30th 06, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"Devros" wrote in message
ups.com...
: My ISP doesn't provide webspace, so I'm looking for some space, either
: rented or free, without the hassle of hosting - anyone know where I can
: get some?
:
: Cheers,
:
: Si.
:

Take a look here http://host.kick-butt.co.uk you will have to host a domain,
but you can get that for around 1.50 ukp not to much of a hassle.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

Old June 30th 06, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 30-Jun-2006, "Devros" wrote:

My ISP doesn't provide webspace, so I'm looking for some space, either
rented or free, without the hassle of hosting - anyone know where I can
get some?

Freeserve accounts come with free webspace, I think you can still
set them up as a PAYG dialup user, you only need to dial up
occasionally to keep them in use. Tesco also have free accounts
for cardholders, they have a news server, not sure if there is
free web space, but everything runs s l o w. May be better
now since AFAIK they are now offering an ISP service.
Old July 2nd 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 30 Jun 2006, "Devros" wrote:

My ISP doesn't provide webspace, so I'm looking for some space, either
rented or free, without the hassle of hosting - anyone know where I can
get some?

Some services will let you use a sub-domain rather than your own domain
name, but really puzzled as to how you expect to access this "space" if
you are after no "hosting" (frankly I'm quite baffled by the question!)

There are separate services for online backup giving 100 MB to loads of
GB of storage (at high cost usually) if that's what you are after...

I have 1 GB of "space" available via FTP (without files being available
any other way) with my 10 GB mail service, but mostly people want space
for themselves to have read/write access and other to get read-only use
(which is typical of the "hosting" model, vs FTP). Peter M.
Old July 3rd 06, 01:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Devros

poster wrote:
(frankly I'm quite baffled by the question!)

As I am by the whole 'hosting' issue - only ever had 'free' webspace
before, hence my question.

Si.

Old July 3rd 06, 08:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On 2 Jul 2006 17:42:37 -0700, "Devros" wrote:

poster wrote:
(frankly I'm quite baffled by the question!)

As I am by the whole 'hosting' issue - only ever had 'free' webspace
before, hence my question.

Si.

There are various levels of complexity here and many different solutions you
could adopt, but for you I would suggest using a hosting provider for your web
space. An example of one is www.compila.com

The action you take is to use their search facility to find a Domain name that
has not alreadly registered, but bear in mind that anything other than a
..co.uk would be more expensive. Let's assume www.devros.co.uk is available but
you could equally find that www.devros.eu or www.devros.com is availble if you
like these better.

Then choose the hosting package that will probably suit your requirements [but
if subsequently found to be unsatisfactory it can be changed]. Pay for the
service and a couple of days later you will be able to upload your material to
this web space [using ftp] for the world and his wife to view. Through a
control panel associated with this domain name you can set up a number of
advanced features; the welcome email will provide access details.

These are the fundementals, there's lots more that could be said but a
specific question on this news group usually gets a response.

The hosting provider you choose does not have to be located in the UK but
personally being able to make a local telephone call for support issues is a
big plus in my book.

None of the above affects your choice of ISP.

David Bradley

Old July 3rd 06, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry_P

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 08:00:06 +0100, David Bradley wrote:

There are various levels of complexity here and many different solutions you
could adopt, but for you I would suggest using a hosting provider for your web
space. An example of one is www.compila.com

I can recommend Compila which is also resold/rebranded as
www.instanthosting.co.uk . I have used Instanthosting for nearly 3 years
and have found the service excellent with very little downtime.

Terry_P