synchronising the router

Old June 30th 06, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete

Default synchronising the router

I'm on a 1Mb Pipex connection through a Speedtouch router. I
complained recently about a dramatic speed loss over a week or more.

In the course of trying to track down reasons I unplugged the router a
few times - on the last occasion my download speed shot back up from
250kbps to 940kbps.

I'm assuming this has something to do with this mysterious 'synching'
I see mentioned in posts here. Can somebody tell me whether I should
routinely shut the router down and reset? Normally my pc is on all the
time, and so is the router.

TIA
Old June 30th 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Pete wrote:
I'm on a 1Mb Pipex connection through a Speedtouch router. I
complained recently about a dramatic speed loss over a week or more.

In the course of trying to track down reasons I unplugged the router a
few times - on the last occasion my download speed shot back up from
250kbps to 940kbps.

I'm assuming this has something to do with this mysterious 'synching'
I see mentioned in posts here. Can somebody tell me whether I should
routinely shut the router down and reset? Normally my pc is on all the
time, and so is the router.

TIA

If you're on a fixed-speed service, then it really shouldn't matter too
much whether you reboot frequently or not. Although some routers can
experience slow-downs if you leave them on over time, I don't know
whether a Speedtouch would do or not.

IF you're on Windows XP - and depending on what you're doing - it seems
to have some major problems with network data. My partner's a p2p monkey
and if she doesn't reset every day or so, her computer refuses to do
anything TCP/IP, as it's buffers are all clogged up with half-open
connections.

xF,

....Nick