Broadband line speed using devolo homeplug adapters

Old June 30th 06, 09:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Batten

Default Broadband line speed using devolo homeplug adapters

Running any of the many broadband speed tests shows my broadband line to be
at around 2Mbps although it was upgraded recently to 8Mbps.

My ADSL modem (Dlink DSL-504) reports the line as being 7.6Mbps downstream
and 0.45Mbps upstream.

My devolo Microlink dLAN Highspeed Ethernet starter kit reports the network
speed at 65Mbps.

Is there a simple explanation as to why the speed test results show 2Mbps
rather than something nearer 8?

....mike

Old June 30th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam Piggott

Old June 30th 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:29:11 +0100, Adam Piggott
wrote:

Mike Batten wrote:
Running any of the many broadband speed tests shows my broadband line to be
at around 2Mbps although it was upgraded recently to 8Mbps.

My ADSL modem (Dlink DSL-504) reports the line as being 7.6Mbps downstream
and 0.45Mbps upstream.

My devolo Microlink dLAN Highspeed Ethernet starter kit reports the network
speed at 65Mbps.

Is there a simple explanation as to why the speed test results show 2Mbps
rather than something nearer 8?

Contact your ISP - they'll be able to explain how Max BRAS rate limits (or
"caps") are set and work with you/BT to get it lifted. It is normal for
this cap to be set during the first 75 minutes after being upgraded.

Also keep in mind once you've got the Max going, speed test sites may not
be able to keep up with your top speed so may only report 5-6MBps or so.

Cheers,

Adam Piggott, Proprietor, Proactive Services (Computing).
http://www.proactiveservices.co.uk/

When I upgraded to 8 Mbs a month ago it took about 2 weeks for the 2
Mbs limit to be lifted - my ISP announced there was a general problem
getting the limits lifted by ???

The upload did go up from 256kbs to 512 kbs immediately .

Actual download peaks at 6 Mbs now .

Robert
Robert