NTL and Wireless modem/router

Old July 1st 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

Default NTL and Wireless modem/router

A friend has NTL with the USB modem and a desktop machine.

She is buying a laptop with wireless built in.

What is the best way to add wireless to the NTL system ?.

NOTE ------ do NOT want to have the desktop machine running.

The Linksys WCG200 seems to offer the solution, is anyone using this
with NTL? if so any "gotchas" with it ?

Thanks

Bob
Old July 1st 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Bob L wrote:
A friend has NTL with the USB modem and a desktop machine.

She is buying a laptop with wireless built in.

What is the best way to add wireless to the NTL system ?.

NOTE ------ do NOT want to have the desktop machine running.

The Linksys WCG200 seems to offer the solution, is anyone using this
with NTL? if so any "gotchas" with it ?

The Linksys software seems, to me, to be a bit flaky. Bro-in-law bought
it for his system and it took a day to get it all working. Since then
he's had a few problems with it 'locking out' one of his daughters
laptops regularly.

I run a BT Voyager 2100, a bit old now, with BT 1060 PCMCIA cards and
have had little to no bother with it. My brother runs the newer BT
Voyager and also has had absolutely no issues with it.

Plug and go, fit and forget ...

One issue we have is when adding new devices, the system seems to need
to stop all security, allow the new device and system to 'see' each
other, then add back the security, which could potentially be an issue,
but that's the only one I have.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old July 1st 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

The Caretaker wrote:
Bob L wrote:
[...]

One issue you appear to have got is that you didn't read the original
posting......

The OP is on NTL which will be a cable modem (or even worse a set top
box). It has little if anything to do with ADSL which the BT Voyager
range is based around.

To the OP have a look at the Netgear website & look for wireless
routers (making sure that they are not ADSL based). I've had very few
problems with any of their kit & the only one I did was also the same
with Linksys, D-Link & 3Com

Old July 1st 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 15:33:42 +0100, Bob L wrote:

A friend has NTL with the USB modem and a desktop machine.

Most if not all NTL modems have both USB and ethernet ports. So, do not
restrict yourself to router with USB modem (I've no idea if there is one
exist anyway).

She is buying a laptop with wireless built in.

What is the best way to add wireless to the NTL system ?.

NOTE ------ do NOT want to have the desktop machine running.

The Linksys WCG200 seems to offer the solution, is anyone using this
with NTL? if so any "gotchas" with it ?

I'm on NTL and have Linksys WRT54GS. No problem serving three desktops, a
notebook and a PDA, the last two via wireless. I've no idea if WCG200 is
available in the UK since NTL is pretty much lock it network to only the
supplied modems.

Old July 1st 06, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"Bob L" wrote in message
A friend has NTL with the USB modem and a desktop machine.

She is buying a laptop with wireless built in.

What is the best way to add wireless to the NTL system ?.

NOTE ------ do NOT want to have the desktop machine running.

The Linksys WCG200 seems to offer the solution, is anyone using this
with NTL? if so any "gotchas" with it ?

Thanks

Bob

Point your friend in the direction of the group and we can explain it to
her. If it's really for you - just say so as nearly every post on here is
starting with " A friend of mine" or "I am asking for a friend".

Old July 1st 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

kráftéé wrote:
The Caretaker wrote:

Bob L wrote:

[...]

I assumed the "USB Modem" to be the same as my NTL Freedom connection
.... I didn't realise the cable modem could also be USB, I thought (from
when I had one in Nottingham, that they were NIC based.

Old July 2nd 06, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Depresion

"The Caretaker" wrote in message
kráftéé wrote:
The Caretaker wrote:

Bob L wrote:

[...]

They have both a USB and Ethernet ports on the back of them (or all the ones I
have seen do), the USB side is a bit flaky as you would expect from NTL).

Old July 2nd 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 19:57:32 GMT, "Rob" wrote:

"Bob L" wrote in message
.. .
A friend has NTL with the USB modem and a desktop machine.

She is buying a laptop with wireless built in.

What is the best way to add wireless to the NTL system ?.

NOTE ------ do NOT want to have the desktop machine running.

The Linksys WCG200 seems to offer the solution, is anyone using this
with NTL? if so any "gotchas" with it ?

Thanks

Bob

Point your friend in the direction of the group and we can explain it to
her. If it's really for you - just say so as nearly every post on here is
starting with " A friend of mine" or "I am asking for a friend".

No it is not for me, I am on Zen. I help her out on the computer side
when she either wants things, or has problems computer wise.

Old July 2nd 06, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

kráftéé wrote:
The Caretaker wrote:

Bob L wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply, I will have to go and have a closer look at her
original modem. I assumed it was just USB as that is the connection
she uses.
Old July 2nd 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 16:56:49 +0100, "kráftéé"
[email protected] you know what'sgoodforu.pus.com wrote:

The Caretaker wrote:
Bob L wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply - will have a look around the netgear site.