CAT 6 from my house to Local exchange

Old July 1st 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Aosmosis

Default CAT 6 from my house to Local exchange

Could I pay BT to install (or do it myself) CAT 6 cable from my house to the
exchange which is like 100m?

That way I could connect directly to the DSLAM and save money on my line
rental.

Anyone done anything similar?

Old July 1st 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Aosmosis" wrote in message
Could I pay BT to install (or do it myself) CAT 6 cable from my house to
the exchange which is like 100m?

That way I could connect directly to the DSLAM and save money on my line
rental.

Anyone done anything similar?

BT will connect you at pretty much any speed you like.

Unfortunately for you the installation charges and rental are worked out the
average distance from a subscriber to the exchange (plus a fat profit)

This means that the fact that you are only 100m from the exchange is BT's
good fortune for building their exchange only 100m from your house rather
than yours for building (or buying) your house only 100m from the exchange.

BT will therefore charge you at their published rates - URL anyone...

Old July 1st 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Could I pay BT to install (or do it myself) CAT 6 cable from my house
to the exchange which is like 100m?

That way I could connect directly to the DSLAM and save money on my
line rental.

Either you are a troll or this takes my nomination for the most impractical
suggestion of the month. Even if you could persuade BT to allow you direct
access to their equipment, which has a very high improbablity factor, the
charge would be many times what you pay in lines rental.

Peter Crosland

Old July 1st 06, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jim

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:14:41 +0100, "Aosmosis" wrote:

Could I pay BT to install (or do it myself) CAT 6 cable from my house to the
exchange which is like 100m?

That way I could connect directly to the DSLAM and save money on my line
rental.

Anyone done anything similar?

While you are at it, you could also tap into the local gas main and
run a 30A cable from the nearest 50KV pylon - who needs utility
companies, eh ?

jim
Old July 1st 06, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"jim" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:14:41 +0100, "Aosmosis" wrote:

Could I pay BT to install (or do it myself) CAT 6 cable from my house to
the
exchange which is like 100m?

That way I could connect directly to the DSLAM and save money on my line
rental.

Anyone done anything similar?

While you are at it, you could also tap into the local gas main and
run a 30A cable from the nearest 50KV pylon - who needs utility
companies, eh ?

jim

Shame you didn't live in Liverpool, some of the cable jointers working for a
now privatised company used to offer an unmetered feed to a second consumer
unit for 80. That was in the mid 80's early 90's. A number of substations
used to trip and/or burn out because of excessive loading so the electric
company fitted metering in the substations to compare with house readings.
Some naughty people were in to indoor gardening which meant expensive
lighting.
They used to dig down and join a new cable and fit it to a second consumer
unit. I've not seen it done with gas pipes!
It was a major investigation to trace cables and one installation was very
clever. With the switch to ON on the consumer unit it used the metered
supply. With the switch to OFF it used the unmetered.
So it has all been done before.
I have in the course of criminal investigations even seen people clipping a
phone on to their neighbours line.

Old July 2nd 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Owain" wrote in message
jim wrote:
While you are at it, you could also tap into the local gas main and
run a 30A cable from the nearest 50KV pylon - who needs utility
companies, eh ?

Don't be silly.

30A at 50kV would be rather excessive. 0.5mA should be enough for the
average household.

Yes but if the juice is free, the beneficiary might decide to run their 1MW
pirate radio station...

Owain

Old July 2nd 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Rob" wrote in message news:vYCpg.64841

Shame you didn't live in Liverpool, some of the cable jointers working for
a now privatised company used to offer an unmetered feed to a second
consumer unit for 80. That was in the mid 80's early 90's. A number of
substations used to trip and/or burn out because of excessive loading so
the electric company fitted metering in the substations to compare with
house readings. Some naughty people were in to indoor gardening which
meant expensive lighting.
They used to dig down and join a new cable and fit it to a second consumer
unit. I've not seen it done with gas pipes!
It was a major investigation to trace cables

A TDR box and compare the results with what is supposed to be there -
shouldn't take too long.

and one installation was very clever. With the switch to ON on the
consumer unit it used the metered supply. With the switch to OFF it used
the unmetered.

No doubt with the switch worked into the door of the meter cuboard...

Old July 2nd 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan

"jim" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:14:41 +0100, "Aosmosis" wrote:

Could I pay BT to install (or do it myself) CAT 6 cable from my house to
the
exchange which is like 100m?

That way I could connect directly to the DSLAM and save money on my line
rental.

Anyone done anything similar?

While you are at it, you could also tap into the local gas main and
run a 30A cable from the nearest 50KV pylon - who needs utility
companies, eh ?

jim

With the hot weather and hosepipe bans, perhaps a hose from the Lakes to
Kent? Of course, precautions would be needed against leakage....

Allan

Old July 3rd 06, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JW

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Aosmosis" wrote in message

Could I pay BT to install (or do it myself) CAT 6 cable from my house to
the exchange which is like 100m?

That way I could connect directly to the DSLAM and save money on my line
rental.

Anyone done anything similar?

BT will connect you at pretty much any speed you like.

Unfortunately for you the installation charges and rental are worked out the
average distance from a subscriber to the exchange (plus a fat profit)

This means that the fact that you are only 100m from the exchange is BT's
good fortune for building their exchange only 100m from your house rather
than yours for building (or buying) your house only 100m from the exchange.

BT will therefore charge you at their published rates - URL anyone...

Are 3rd party SPs in BT exchanges obliged to use Openreach
network, or are they allowed to bring in their own?

I imagine they'd still want to sell a phone line.