Orange "free" 18 month broadband. Any problems ?

Old July 2nd 06, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grumpycrab

Default Orange "free" 18 month broadband. Any problems ?

Hi - has anybody signed up for this. If so - any problems ?
--
Grumps

Old July 4th 06, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Evan

I have no knowledge of this particular deal, but I do have a friend
who's a previous Wanadoo customer and now is on Orange.

His connection speeds seem as before, but Orange's advertised pop and
smtp accounts didn't seem to work when I plugged them into his email
client.

When I tried to read through their help pages, they weren't incredibly
clear and showed a mix of new Orange info and old Wanadoo info.

Old July 4th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grumpycrab

I have no knowledge of this particular deal, but I do have a friend
who's a previous Wanadoo customer and now is on Orange.

No major catches (well, possibly one...).
Get an Orange contract phone for 18 months and get 8Meg internet for free.
The catch is the 2Gig usage which, apparently, is flexible. If you are a
heavy user they will ask you to leave or upgrade to their "unlimited"
product for 10 per month.

But the really amazing thing about this deal is that you can get (new) 18
month Orange contracts for only 60. Ok the phone isn't going to be
brilliant but its difficult to ignore.

--
Grumps

Old July 4th 06, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Evan

Wow, sounds a great deal.

Only thing better would have been if you'd given us a clue as to which
deal you're specifically referring to.

Old July 5th 06, 01:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 4 Jul 2006, "Evan" wrote:

Only thing better would have been if you'd given us a clue as to which
deal you're specifically referring to.

For which you might find pointers over on uk.telecom.mobile but there
presumably will have been some of these "cash back" deals where you can
get some refund of charges on submission of a number of paid statements
at various stages through the contract (eg 6, 12, 18 months) so while a
check by Orange would reveal payments of 35.00/month (for example) they
won't see the refunding of 190 pounds each 6 months - giving an overall
cost of 20 pounds per 6 months or 60 pounds over course of 18 months).
Old July 5th 06, 07:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grumpycrab

Only thing better would have been if you'd given us a clue as to which
deal you're specifically referring to.

These are my 2 bookmarked links...
http://tinyurl.co.uk/idca and
http://tinyurl.co.uk/iwd4

--
Grumps

Old July 5th 06, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Evan

Read about those. More bad stories than good. Very few people so far
have been able to say they've made it through the year contract and
been refunded all their bills.

Old July 5th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 5 Jul 2006 "Evan" wrote:

Read about those. More bad stories than good. Very few people so far
have been able to say they've made it through the year contract and
been refunded all their bills.

Please don't "top post" as it is unwelcome by many readers here, and while
quoting, it aids reading if a bit of trimming is done...

Agree there can be problems, but main point was to give a hint as to where
else to be looking, and/or what to look for. As for whether to use such a
deal, that's down to customer choice, and buyer beware applies, of course.
(I didn't know if you were aware of those cash-back deals.) Peter M.
Old July 5th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
XpUser

grumpycrab wrote:
Only thing better would have been if you'd given us a clue as to
which deal you're specifically referring to.

These are my 2 bookmarked links...
http://tinyurl.co.uk/idca and
http://tinyurl.co.uk/iwd4

This is also worth bookmarking