Connecting two networks to share broadband

Old July 2nd 06, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Mark BR

Default Connecting two networks to share broadband

I can't find the simple answer using Google and the like ...............

I want a network of three computer and a router upstairs and another network
of two computers and another router downstairs - this network connects to
the Internet.

Can is simply run a normal cat 5 cable from one router to the other to
connect the two networks and let all computer see the Internet?

Mark BR

Old July 2nd 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Roger Mills

Mark BR wrote:

I can't find the simple answer using Google and the like
I want a network of three computer and a router upstairs and another
network of two computers and another router downstairs - this network
connects to the Internet.

Can is simply run a normal cat 5 cable from one router to the other to
connect the two networks and let all computer see the Internet?

Mark BR

Are you trying to create one network or two? In other words, are you happy
for the 3 machines upstairs and the 2 machines downstairs all to be able to
see each other? If so, you only really have *one* network, and the simplest
solution - apart from cabling considerations would be a single router with 5
or more ports.

If this is so, you could achieve what you want with a simple network switch
downstairs - connected to one of the ports on the router upstairs - you
don't actually need an extra router.

If you *do* use a second router, it can be used just as a switch - just
connect one of its ethernet ports to the upstairs router, and don't connect
anything to the ADSL input. But you'll have to watch the allocation of IP
addresses - if you're using DHCP, only *one* router - probably the upstairs
one - must have its DHCP server function enabled. The second router must be
manually given a unique IP address in the same subnet as the rest of your
network. I think if I were doing it, I'd allocate *all* the addresses
manually and disable DHCP entirely.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old July 2nd 06, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Richard M Willis

"Mark BR" wrote in message reenews.net...
I can't find the simple answer using Google and the like ...............

I want a network of three computer and a router upstairs and another network
of two computers and another router downstairs - this network connects to
the Internet.

Can is simply run a normal cat 5 cable from one router to the other to
connect the two networks and let all computer see the Internet?

I'm somewhat concerned by your usage of the word "router" ?

The normal way is just to connect n computers in the house into the
ports at the back of an (n+1)-way hub or switch and connect the remaining
port to the ethernet presentation of the broadband modem.

Do I understand you correctly, that you want to have two distinct networks
in the house, to provide isolation ?

Richard [in SG19]

Old July 2nd 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Philip Herlihy

If you don't need separate (albeit linked) networks, why not bung a Wireless
Access point on the downstairs network and put wireless cards (or USB
adapters, or a single Ethernet connected client plus switch) upstairs? In
fact, my ADSL modem/router/WAP has four Ethernet ports plus wireless, so
does everything I need in one box.

PH, London
===========

reenews.net...

Old July 2nd 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Marcus Houlden

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 17:45:43 +0100, Mark BR
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

I can't find the simple answer using Google and the like ...............

I want a network of three computer and a router upstairs and another network
of two computers and another router downstairs - this network connects to
the Internet.

Sounds a bit complex for 5 machines. I'd go for a *switch* in each location
with either a pair of wireless ethernet bridges or a long network cable
between them, and then a single router to connect to the net. Something like
http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=net4nm.gif would do.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.
Old July 2nd 06, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Ian Davies

"Mark BR" wrote in message
reenews.net...
I can't find the simple answer using Google and the like ...............

I want a network of three computer and a router upstairs and another
network of two computers and another router downstairs - this network
connects to the Internet.

Can is simply run a normal cat 5 cable from one router to the other to
connect the two networks and let all computer see the Internet?

Mark BR

You didn't look far ! www.practicallynetworked.com - a forum full of
people ready to help.
All you need is a router and a load of cable, simple as that.

Old July 2nd 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 17:45:43 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Mark BR"
wrote:

I can't find the simple answer using Google and the like ...............

I want a network of three computer and a router upstairs and another network
of two computers and another router downstairs - this network connects to
the Internet.

Can is simply run a normal cat 5 cable from one router to the other to
connect the two networks and let all computer see the Internet?

Yep, connect LAN port to LAN port on the two routers, disable DHCP in
one of htem, and you'll have one network, sharing an internet
connection.
--
Mark McIntyre
Old July 2nd 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Mark BR

Ian Davies wrote:
"Mark BR" wrote in message
reenews.net...
I can't find the simple answer using Google and the like
............... I want a network of three computer and a router upstairs
and another
network of two computers and another router downstairs - this
network connects to the Internet.

Can is simply run a normal cat 5 cable from one router to the other
to connect the two networks and let all computer see the Internet?

Mark BR

You didn't look far ! www.practicallynetworked.com - a forum full
of people ready to help.
All you need is a router and a load of cable, simple as that.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Had found practicallynetworked but didn't quite give me an answer.

I am trying to avoid lots of cables from downstairs to upstairs (it's
further than it sounds!) but in a few months time will need two routers so
prefered that to a switch. I was not aware of the need to disable DHCP.

Now I know what to do

Many thanks to all

Mark BR

Old July 3rd 06, 01:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Simon Dobson

Roger Mills wrote:

But you'll have to watch the allocation of IP
addresses - if you're using DHCP, only *one* router - probably the upstairs
one - must have its DHCP server function enabled.

Yup.

The second router must be
manually given a unique IP address in the same subnet as the rest of your
network.

Recommended, but not essential. It could have an IP on a completely
different subnet, but it'd still work as a switch. Of course you
wouldn't be able to administer it ;-) But it would work.
Old July 3rd 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.misc
Roger Mills

Simon Dobson wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

But you'll have to watch the allocation of IP
addresses - if you're using DHCP, only *one* router - probably the
upstairs one - must have its DHCP server function enabled.

Yup.

The second router must be
manually given a unique IP address in the same subnet as the rest of
your network.

Recommended, but not essential. It could have an IP on a completely
different subnet, but it'd still work as a switch. Of course you
wouldn't be able to administer it ;-) But it would work.

By default, it may well have the *same* IP address as the other router -
particularly if they are the same model - and that *certainly* wouldn't
work!
--
Cheers,
Roger