D Link Router

Old July 2nd 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default D Link Router

A D Link router is being used to connect to a btinternet.com Broadband account
The router and PC are hardwired. Everything works fine.

Some questions for the experts out there from whom a response would be
appreciated.

ipconfig /all provides some diagnostic information from which we can see the
gateway is 192.168.1.1 and the ip address of the PC is 192.168.1.5 but what I
found surprising is that the ip for DNS was also 192.168.1.1 - is this usual
when a D Link router is used?

Used the web interface to look at the settings of the D link. To me some
configuration settings looked wrong since their was an entry for a Domain name
and the Modulation was G.Lite whereas I would have expected G.DMT. There was
a Priminary DNS server IP address but no entry for a Secondary.

For the record other settings were OK in my eyes with the subnet mask of
255.255.255.0 PPPoA VPI 0 VCI 38 and encapsulating type of VC.MUX. The WAN
address was dynamic.

Obviously DHCP was enabled since the PC requested both an IP address and DNS
settings but it wasn't obvious that the router could be configured for a
higher start IP address to make it practcal to mix fixed IP addresses with
DHCP. I assume that functionality is in there somewhere.

Comments and observations on the above welcomed. It ain't broke so doesn't
need fixing, in other words surfing and email work fine, but is everything as
it should be with the settings for a btinternet.com account.

David Bradley
Old July 3rd 06, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
devs

In message , David Bradley
writes
ipconfig /all provides some diagnostic information from which we can see the
gateway is 192.168.1.1 and the ip address of the PC is 192.168.1.5 but what I
found surprising is that the ip for DNS was also 192.168.1.1 - is this usual
when a D Link router is used?

They do pass through or relay DNS. You can set up whether it uses auto
discovered DNS servers or set your own up. You _can_ turn it off
altogether too but you would have to set client machines up manually
then. It is normal, yes, but I would expect a back up DNS to be included
too.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old July 3rd 06, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Davies

You might get more help here - http://www.expansys.cz/forum.asp?code=110551

Old July 3rd 06, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 00:19:53 GMT, "Ian Davies" wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote in message
.. .
A D Link router is being used to connect to a btinternet.com Broadband
account
The router and PC are hardwired. Everything works fine.

Some questions for the experts out there from whom a response would be
appreciated.

You might get more help here - http://www.expansys.cz/forum.asp?code=110551

Thanks for that. Question reposted there. However this newsgroup is generally
the font of all knowledge.

David Bradley
Old July 3rd 06, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard M Willis

"David Bradley" wrote in message

ipconfig /all provides some diagnostic information from which we can see

the
gateway is 192.168.1.1 and the ip address of the PC is 192.168.1.5 but

what I
found surprising is that the ip for DNS was also 192.168.1.1 - is this

usual
when a D Link router is used?

Yes. It's perfectly normal for your gateway and DNS server to be the same
machine. This is the only sane way of doing it if you have (like most
domestic
installations) just a single box and = 1 PCs.

Richard [in SG19]

Old July 3rd 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Halfacree

David Bradley wrote:
ipconfig /all provides some diagnostic information from which we can see the
gateway is 192.168.1.1 and the ip address of the PC is 192.168.1.5 but what I
found surprising is that the ip for DNS was also 192.168.1.1 - is this usual
when a D Link router is used?

Yes. Most SOHO routers offer DNS forwarding, which means all DNS
requests are sent to the router which then forwards them on to your ISPs
servers. Some go one step further and offer DNS caching.

Obviously DHCP was enabled since the PC requested both an IP address and DNS
settings but it wasn't obvious that the router could be configured for a
higher start IP address to make it practcal to mix fixed IP addresses with
DHCP. I assume that functionality is in there somewhere.

Most SOHO routers offer the ability to fix IP addresses to MAC addresses
while still maintaining the advantages of DHCP (i.e. automatic
reconfiguration in the event of a change of gateway or DNS server
address). Certainly both my Vigor 2600 (at the middle-to-high end of
the home/small office market) and my Safecom SBRU (at the extreme low
end of the home market) offer this feature. Check your manual for details.

--
Gareth Halfacree
http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk