NEWS: Pipex to take on the 'free' broadband crowd

Old July 3rd 06, 05:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Who me?

Default NEWS: Pipex to take on the 'free' broadband crowd

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2712
Pipex are not new to the cut-price arena, and according to the Telegraph are
set to try and undercut a number of the other providers offering all
inclusive telephone/broadband packages. Pipex does have a history of being
competitive price wise, and was the first provider to break the 30 barrier
for ADSL connections in February 2002, followed by an even cheaper product
at 23.44 later in the same month.

This new deal appears to be a line rental/inclusive calls package for 12.50
a month, and an up to 8Mbps ADSL service for 6.50 a month. These figures
are not confirmed yet, and it is unknown whether these apply to just
exchanges Pipex has unbundled, or will apply across all exchanges where BT
Wholesale IPstream Max is available. The deal looks set to get a lot of
publicity with a 3m marketing campaign planned, with David Hasselhoff being
the star of the campaign.

Pipex has around 311,000 broadband customers, and with its HomeCall
operation a total of about 1,000,000 customers. Though reading through the
Pipex section of our forums, reveals that not all are happy with the
HomeCall segment (e.g. here and here). With the increase in competition in
the bundle area, we expect to see more posts like this across a number of
the providers. Traditionally marketing for telephone services has been more
cut and thrust, than the relatively laid back attitude broadband has taken.

--
"Off all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most."
~ Ozzy Osbourne