Tech response please

Old July 3rd 06, 10:01 AM posted to bt.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

Default Tech response please

Am I correct in thinking that an RJ11 cable will fit into an RJ45 socket but
not vice versa?

Is the BT ADSL Dual Faceplate an RJ45 ? and the socket into the BT2500v
router ?

Can I expect any loss of signal if I connect my wireless router with a 10m
CAT5 cable instead of the 2m cable supplied ? [not a connection, a whole new
cable]

Old July 3rd 06, 10:12 AM posted to bt.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Halfacree

Christopher wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that an RJ11 cable will fit into an RJ45 socket but
not vice versa?

The clue is in the question. RJ11 does not equal RJ45. An RJ11 plug
will, if forced, physically fit into a (larger) RJ45 socket but in doing
so will fail to make contact with the pins. Which means it won't work.

RJ11 plugs are for RJ11 sockets, and RJ45 plugs are for RJ45 sockets.

--
Gareth Halfacree
http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk
Old July 3rd 06, 11:12 AM posted to bt.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Internet Services from BT

"Christopher" wrote in message
Am I correct in thinking that an RJ11 cable will fit into an RJ45 socket
but not vice versa?

Is the BT ADSL Dual Faceplate an RJ45 ? and the socket into the BT2500v
router ?

Can I expect any loss of signal if I connect my wireless router with a 10m
CAT5 cable instead of the 2m cable supplied ? [not a connection, a whole
new cable]

Hi Chris,

RJ11 cables are not designed to fit into RJ45 sockets nor visa versa. RJ11
and RJ45 are physically different from one another. RJ11 is used for phone
connections whereas RJ45 is used for Ethernet connections.

The BT Dual Faceplate is RJ11, not RJ45. The ADSL socket on the router is
RJ11, and the remaining sockets are RJ45 Ethernet ports.

CAT5 cable is good for 100m before any signal loss is experienced. So
replacing 2m with 10m will cause no problems at all.

--
Regards,

David

Internet Services from BT
Newsgroup Support

Old July 3rd 06, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Gareth Halfacree" wrote in message
Christopher wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that an RJ11 cable will fit into an RJ45 socket
but not vice versa?

The clue is in the question. RJ11 does not equal RJ45. An RJ11 plug
will, if forced, physically fit into a (larger) RJ45 socket but in doing
so will fail to make contact with the pins. Which means it won't work.

RJ11 plugs are for RJ11 sockets, and RJ45 plugs are for RJ45 sockets.

--
Gareth Halfacree
http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk

WRONG. An RJ11 can be inserted into an RJ45 socket without force. It will
use the centre pair of connectors instead. This is how quite a few corporate
users plug their phones into the same network sockets as their ethernet
cousins.

Old July 3rd 06, 12:35 PM posted to bt.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Internet Services from BT

"Martyn Williams" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

Hi Chris,

RJ11 cables are not designed to fit into RJ45 sockets nor visa versa.
RJ11
and RJ45 are physically different from one another.

I suggest you read the spec for RJ connectors.
a RJ plug will fit into any RJ socket that has the same or a greater
number of connections.
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...TLE=47&PART=68
&SECTION=500&YEAR=2000&TYPE=PDF

Martyn,

If you read over my post again you will see I said that RJ11 are not
designed to fit into RJ45 and not that they don't fit. They are smaller, and
an RJ11 in an RJ45 will not, as you say, make contact with all the
connections.

--
Regards,

David

Internet Services from BT
Newsgroup Support

Old July 3rd 06, 12:41 PM posted to bt.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

So in summary, the ADSL face plate has an RJ11 connection to the wireless
router / home hub and the wireless router / home hub has the same
connection. So I need a 10m CAT5 or CAT6 [?] cable with RJ11 connectors on
both ends.

10m will not adversely affect the signal.

Thanks all

Old July 4th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Barron

If you read over my post again you will see I said that RJ11 are not
designed to fit into RJ45 and not that they don't fit. They are smaller, and
an RJ11 in an RJ45 will not, as you say, make contact with all the
connections.

Having just inserted an RJ11 to RJ11 cable into my cable tester and
checked for all combinations (i.e. 11 - 11, 11 - 45 and 45 - 45) I have
observer that in all cases all 6 connections are made. In the case of
45 - 45 it is the centre 6 of course i.e. pins 2 - 7.

Just my 10 cents worth but an interesting experiment.

Old July 4th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Woodhouse

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 07:53 -0700, Andy Barron wrote:
Having just inserted an RJ11 to RJ11 cable into my cable tester and
checked for all combinations (i.e. 11 - 11, 11 - 45 and 45 - 45) I have
observer that in all cases all 6 connections are made. In the case of
45 - 45 it is the centre 6 of course i.e. pins 2 - 7.

Strictly speaking, in that case it wasn't actually an RJ11 cable -- it
will have been RJ12 or RJ25. An RJ11 cable has only the centre pair
wired up; RJ14 has the middle four, and RJ12 has all six. The same shape
of six-position plug is used for all three.

Mostly, when you buy "RJ11 plugs" they'll have only four pieces of metal
in them. When you buy 'RJ12 plugs' they'll have all six.

In all cases, they fit happily into the 'RJ45 socket' and all the
connectors which are present should make contact correctly.

cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ12

--
dwmw2

Old July 4th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
devs

In message , David
Woodhouse writes
Strictly speaking, in that case it wasn't actually an RJ11 cable -- it
will have been RJ12 or RJ25.

Ignore all that merkin pish. It's RJ11 with nP (positions) nC
(contacts). Ah thank you....thank yew very mush.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"