SIP & D-link or BT Broadband Talk?

Old July 3rd 06, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Beds

Default SIP & D-link or BT Broadband Talk?

Hi there,

I just signed up for Broadband Talk but has since discovered this group
and BT Broadband Talk don't get a good write-up.

I have also just discovered SIPphone and The D-Link 1402S, SIP adapter
and 4 port router. Now is this a better option than BT?

Here is what I want to do. My girlfriend lives in the USA and I in UK
and it is costing us a fortune in pahone calls (even on the lower web
tarrifs offered). Orginally I was going to send my BT Broadband Talk
package to her and get her to phone me on my UK landline number. That
way she could call me free for an hour using BT's Talk anytime package.

Would I be better off using this option or SIPphone, although that
would initially involve having to buy a D-Link 1402S each.

What do you say? Do you have any better options?

Also where in the UK do I get a D-Link 1402S?

Thanks
Karl

Old July 3rd 06, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Beds explained :
[...]

It pains me to say, but even skype would be more effective (cost wise)
than what you planned.

If you don't want to involve computers, or buy any equipment, why not
have a look at http://www.webcalldirect.com/en/index.php. For
inexpensive calls (E0.03 connection) would require a UK PSTN and a US
Mobile or PSTN, together with a PC to initiate the call, that is.

Alternatively, you could use a Sipura/Linksys SPA1001 at each location.
You could dial by IP address, although it would be much simpler to each
sign up with www.sipgate.co.uk (need to apply for both accounts from a
UK IP address) Then Sip=Sip calls would be completely free with no
time limit.

I am sorry I have no experience with the equipment you listed.