Voip enlightenment to ring Japan

Old July 3rd 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JWH

Default Voip enlightenment to ring Japan

Hi, novice would be grateful for some advice. We live in north London and
at the moment we have a BT
line through which our pc is connected to virgin broadband. the pc is on for
a lot of
the day, but not all the time. we want to be able to make fairly regular
cheap calls ( five or ten a week ) from London to Japan.

we have been using the 18866 indirect service so far for this via our
cordless house phone, but recently the connections abroad have been
terrible. I wanted to make an important call the other day and there seemed
a delayed connection, so i kept waiting. my mistake... Since they were
charging all the time i was waiting for something to happen. over many
attempts that day, i got charged a couple of
pounds for nothing and their customer services are a joke. they send emails
that don't
seem related to anything you say. however for ringing to places in the
u.k. a 5 pence/min minimum connection fee and then the rest of the call for
free seems to
me so far to be a fairly good reason for continue to use them, would you
say?

i was initially recommended to use Skype, but have since learn't that there
might be better alternatives. Also it would really be great, if we could
make these calls walking around the house, but would not want to pay a lot
of money for expensive equipment to make this happen.

Any advice on a good provider and what arrangement of what equipment is best
would be gratefully received. Please bear in mind i am a simple soul and
new to all this , so i
would be grateful if things are spelt out a bit in plain language. many
thanks.

Old July 4th 06, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-07-03, JWH wrote:

[...]

Skype uses its own proprietry protocol for phone calls over the internet. The
alternatives you have heard of probably use SIP. This is an open protocol
which can be employed by anyone. One consequence of this is that there is a
wider variety of providers to choose from. The two protocols are incompatible
with each other.

Skype's landline rate to Japan is 0.022 EUR/minute. At www.voiptalk.co.uk they
want 0.02 GBP/minute (excluding VAT), whereas www.sipdiscount.co.uk will ask
for 0.0116 EUR/minute. Phone via www.voipcheap.co.uk and you get it for free.

You did mention wanting to make cheap calls to Japan and these rates compare
well with 0.03 GBP/minute at 18866.

Any advice on a good provider and what arrangement of what equipment is best
would be gratefully received. Please bear in mind i am a simple soul and new
to all this , so i would be grateful if things are spelt out a bit in plain
language.

With SIP, if you want to use a cordless phone about the house or in the garden
you are looking to buy a router, unless you already have one, and an analogue
telephone adaptor (ATA). A good ATA is approximately 50 GBP. I suppose a
decent router will have a similar price. The computer need not be on to use
the phone.

There are cordless phone solutions for Skype and the computer has to be powered
up to use them. I don't know how much they cost but suspect they are cheaper
than the router/ATA combination.

If the equipment costs are not within your present budget you could take a look
at www.webcalldirect.com. This is essentially a SIP service but there is no
purchase of kit involved.

I had better mention that sipdiscount, voipcheap and webcalldirect all belong
to the same company as 18866. Perhaps you had better persevere with 18866!

Brian.
Old July 4th 06, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JWH

On 2006-07-03, JWH wrote:

[...]

Brian, a really concise and helpful response, many thanks