Preferred ATA to use with sipgate

Old July 3rd 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PajaP

Default Preferred ATA to use with sipgate

What is peoples preferred ATA to use with the sipgate service?

I ordered a ZyXEL 2002L from Scan for 2 reason.
1) Scan had it, in stock, for 42.50 +vat which is the best price I
could find.
2) I already have a ZyXEL router and thought for compatibility I would
buy the same brand ATA.

Now scan have emailed me and said they do not really have it in stock!
I have cancelled the order.

Now I am looking for an ATA again.
I have a sipgate account so will be using that, at least initially.

Would be nice if it could also connect to the pstn network with good
quality calls (for when/if sipgate is not available).

I have been looking at the Linksys SPA3000 but have had some bad
experiences with Linksys kit and support before. I will still consider
them if it is recommended.
Also I still like the specs of the 2002L if I can find it for the
right price and it is recommended.

Reliability, ease of use and price are all important factors.

Ideas?

--
Many thanks
PajaP
Old July 3rd 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

After serious thinking PajaP wrote :
[...]

The SPA3000 is a fantastic piece of kit, if a little mind boggling at
first. There's plenty of help around, though, so don't be put off. If I
have a niggle with any of the 3 SPA3Ks in my control, it is that the
audio volume, on calls carried over my regular PSTN line, is a little
low. This doesn't present me with much of an issue as most of my calls
now go entirely over VoIP.

The SPA3K does have a "fallback to PSTN" feature, it also
automatically, by use of an internal relay, connects the phone handset
directly to the PSTN in the event of a power failure.

Old July 3rd 06, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh PajaP:
[...]

As I have no PTSN, I have a LinkSys PAP2 that I am very happy with, this
offers two VoIP lines, one of which I use Sipgate on.

http://paygmobile.at/seb For 38 total credit use referral 07962461234
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old July 3rd 06, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PajaP

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:39:47 +0100, Jono
wrote:

The SPA3000 is a fantastic piece of kit, if a little mind boggling at
first. There's plenty of help around, though, so don't be put off. If I
have a niggle with any of the 3 SPA3Ks in my control, it is that the
audio volume, on calls carried over my regular PSTN line, is a little
low. This doesn't present me with much of an issue as most of my calls
now go entirely over VoIP.

The SPA3K does have a "fallback to PSTN" feature, it also
automatically, by use of an internal relay, connects the phone handset
directly to the PSTN in the event of a power failure.

Many thanks.
I am looking at the SPA3000 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and in the
accessories section it mentions a 'Broadbandbuyer US Plug to BT Socket
Adapter w/Ring Capacitor'.
From this can I assume it is not designed for the UK market and I will
require this adapter?

--
PajaP
Old July 3rd 06, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh PajaP:
wrote:

The SPA3000 is a fantastic piece of kit, if a little mind boggling at
first. There's plenty of help around, though, so don't be put off.
If I have a niggle with any of the 3 SPA3Ks in my control, it is
that the audio volume, on calls carried over my regular PSTN line,
is a little low. This doesn't present me with much of an issue as
most of my calls now go entirely over VoIP.

The SPA3K does have a "fallback to PSTN" feature, it also
automatically, by use of an internal relay, connects the phone
handset directly to the PSTN in the event of a power failure.

Many thanks.
I am looking at the SPA3000 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and in the
accessories section it mentions a 'Broadbandbuyer US Plug to BT Socket
Adapter w/Ring Capacitor'.
From this can I assume it is not designed for the UK market and I will
require this adapter?

It a worldwide product, it has all the settings for UK use, but as it is
worldwide it uses RJ11 sockets, a few 'made for UK use only' phones
require the ring capacitor, you can either use an RJ11 plug and wire it
to a master socket or use the adapter you mention which will do the same
thing.

Old July 4th 06, 07:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PajaP

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:17:15 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

Thus spaketh PajaP:
I am looking at the SPA3000 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and in the
accessories section it mentions a 'Broadbandbuyer US Plug to BT Socket
Adapter w/Ring Capacitor'.
From this can I assume it is not designed for the UK market and I will
require this adapter?

It a worldwide product, it has all the settings for UK use, but as it is
worldwide it uses RJ11 sockets, a few 'made for UK use only' phones
require the ring capacitor, you can either use an RJ11 plug and wire it
to a master socket or use the adapter you mention which will do the same
thing.

Thanks. I would probably buy the adapter then as it is only a couple
of quid.

--
PajaP
Old July 4th 06, 07:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PajaP

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:00:40 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

Thus spaketh PajaP:
What is peoples preferred ATA to use with the sipgate service?

As I have no PTSN, I have a LinkSys PAP2 that I am very happy with, this
offers two VoIP lines, one of which I use Sipgate on.

This looks like a prime candidate for me.
I am considering changing my PSTN service for one that does not allow
outgoing calls so I guess I may not need all the features of the
SPA3000. Only concern here would be sipgate having a long period of
downtime.
broadbandstuff.co.uk say they have "genuine UK stock". Would this mean
I do not need the RJ11 Adapter?

--
Thx.
PajaP
Old July 4th 06, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:32:50 +0100, PajaP wrote:

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:00:40 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

Thus spaketh PajaP:
What is peoples preferred ATA to use with the sipgate service?

As I have no PTSN, I have a LinkSys PAP2 that I am very happy with, this
offers two VoIP lines, one of which I use Sipgate on.

This looks like a prime candidate for me.
I am considering changing my PSTN service for one that does not allow
outgoing calls so I guess I may not need all the features of the
SPA3000. Only concern here would be sipgate having a long period of
downtime.
broadbandstuff.co.uk say they have "genuine UK stock". Would this mean
I do not need the RJ11 Adapter?

No you still need the adapter *with* ring circuit. - *some* phones ring without
it but you may as well order one at the same time under the same shipping cost
- Cheaper than the high street anyway, assuming you can find anyone that knows
the difference :-)

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old July 4th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Dave Saville:
On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:32:50 +0100, PajaP wrote:

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:00:40 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

Thus spaketh PajaP:
What is peoples preferred ATA to use with the sipgate service?

As I have no PTSN, I have a LinkSys PAP2 that I am very happy with,
this offers two VoIP lines, one of which I use Sipgate on.

This looks like a prime candidate for me.
I am considering changing my PSTN service for one that does not allow
outgoing calls so I guess I may not need all the features of the
SPA3000. Only concern here would be sipgate having a long period of
downtime.
broadbandstuff.co.uk say they have "genuine UK stock". Would this
mean I do not need the RJ11 Adapter?

No you still need the adapter *with* ring circuit. - *some* phones
ring without it but you may as well order one at the same time under
the same shipping cost - Cheaper than the high street anyway,
assuming you can find anyone that knows the difference :-)

It probably just means it comes with a UK mains adapter, mine came with
an adapter where you can slot on either a UK plug or Euro plug.

NA/UK/EU/SA/ZA will all be the same product, it will just be the mains
adapter that may differ.

For the couple of pound you might as well get the RJ11 adapter.

Old July 4th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

PajaP wrote:
On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:00:40 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:

Thus spaketh PajaP:
What is peoples preferred ATA to use with the sipgate service?

As I have no PTSN, I have a LinkSys PAP2 that I am very happy with, this
offers two VoIP lines, one of which I use Sipgate on.

This looks like a prime candidate for me.
I am considering changing my PSTN service for one that does not allow
outgoing calls so I guess I may not need all the features of the
SPA3000. Only concern here would be sipgate having a long period of
downtime.
broadbandstuff.co.uk say they have "genuine UK stock". Would this mean
I do not need the RJ11 Adapter?

It just means it comes with a UK power supply. All the Linksys adaptors
come with RJ-11 (US style) phone connectors. I suppose it would be far
too much effort and expense to change the connectors for BT-style ones
since it would mean altering the internal circuit board and even the
outer casing.

It's worth just paying the couple of quid for the RJ-11 - BT adaptor so
you know your phone will work properly.

cheers,
Paul.