Recommendations for dual line please

Old July 5th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ResidentDrunk

Default Recommendations for dual line please

HI all,

Please could someone offer some recommendations as to the best way to
go forward (and if this is possible) ?.

I currently have 2 phone lines into my house, a BT home phone and an
NTL phone I use for business in my home office. I have a 10mb NTL BB
line (which I believe is 600k upstream).

I want to replace both phone lines with 2 fixed VOIP numbers, if
possible using the existing BT wiring to distibute the home line to the
existing phone extensions.

I would like all calls to the home number to go to all phones in the
house (including the phone in the office) but calls to the office
number to only go to the office phone. On the office phone I would like
to be able to see which number is being called.

I woud like to redirect the office number to my laptop when I am on a
customer site.

The office phone can be plugged into a PC (either WinXP or Linux) which
is permanently on, but the home phones will (hopefully) be plugged into
standard sockets.

I have been using Skype for the last 18 months or so but am unimpressed
with the quality of SkypOut - this is with a headset/mike so I do not
know if a phone would improve quality.

Assuming this is possible, would quality be compromised if both phones
were used at the same time ?.

TIA

Jon

Old July 5th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton

Converse 1400 or 2025, while stocks last.

--

regards

Mark

--

R. Mark Clayton

ups.com...

Old July 5th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 5 Jul 2006 02:15:19 -0700, "ResidentDrunk"
wrote:

HI all,

Please could someone offer some recommendations as to the best way to
go forward (and if this is possible) ?.

I currently have 2 phone lines into my house, a BT home phone and an
NTL phone I use for business in my home office. I have a 10mb NTL BB
line (which I believe is 600k upstream).

I want to replace both phone lines with 2 fixed VOIP numbers, if
possible using the existing BT wiring to distibute the home line to the
existing phone extensions.

I assume here that you are going to ditch BT and get 'broadband only'
from NTL to 'power' your voip lines.
As regards using BT wiring it isn't always so straightfroward. Ideally
the BT line would come into the master socket and, if it is a modern
one, you could then couple in after the master socket. Sadly things
are not always quite so easy with more dated set ups.
It might be a good idea, and much easier, to go for a set of cordless
phones.
Amazon sell a set of 4 for under 50.

I would like all calls to the home number to go to all phones in the
house (including the phone in the office) but calls to the office
number to only go to the office phone. On the office phone I would like
to be able to see which number is being called.

Most voip service providers (VSPs) do caller display so that should be
no problem.

I woud like to redirect the office number to my laptop when I am on a
customer site.

If you use a softphone client on your lap top (e.g. x-lite) you can
simply receive calls as if you were at home. Just feed the settings
into your laptop and go - no diverts are necessary.

The office phone can be plugged into a PC (either WinXP or Linux) which
is permanently on, but the home phones will (hopefully) be plugged into
standard sockets.

If you are using proper SIP voip you do NOT plug your phone into the
computer. A computer is not necessary except for initial set up
purposes - it is not involved in the call procedure. Forget about
Skype it is toytown! For SIP voip you have an Analogue Telephone
Adapter (ATA ) or ATAs plugged into your router.

I have been using Skype for the last 18 months or so but am unimpressed
with the quality of SkypOut - this is with a headset/mike so I do not
know if a phone would improve quality.

As I said forget about Skype - you are not impressed because it is
'play time' voip.

Assuming this is possible, would quality be compromised if both phones
were used at the same time ?.

This is no problem providing you have sufficient bandwidth. afaik the
minimum on NTL is 2M isn't it? - so that should be OK. It is best if
your router has a feature called Quality of Service' (QoS). This is
set so that your voice calls are given priority over, say, a file
download.

OK, so now you want to know what gear to use.
You could use a Linksys PAP2 - that has 2 voip outputs.
As it stands it limits you to one incoming/outgoing provider for each
'channel'. There are ways of extending this but you do really need to
know a bit more about the technology before attempting that. A PAP2
would be a good, simple, start though. Make sure that, if you buy a
PAP2 it is definitely NOT locked to VONAGE!!

If you want to use a PAP2 with more outgoing providers you can by
opening a (free) account with Voxalot and configuring your PAP2 to
work with it. However, you would need a Direct Inward Dial (DID)
telephone number for people to call you on (perhaps voiptalk.co.uk).
You can configure Voxalot conventionally or follow the unconventional,
perhaps simpler, method I have outlined on
www.leafcom.co.uk

A linksys/Sipura SPA-3000 is better but only has ONE output. It does
however, offer easier access to a number of outgoing providers on its
own - no need for voxalot - unless like me you aren't satisfied with 5
outgoing providers. You would then need TWO SPA-3000, one for each
line.

Who to use for providers. There are lots. you pick your incoming
provider (which you can use for outgoing of course ( you have to on
the PAP2) based on services/reliability. voipfone.co.uk are a good
yardstick.

Outgoing...
Depends on where you are calling.
Check out voip.co.uk,
voipfone.co.uk,voiptalk.co.uk,voipbuster.com,sipdi scount.com.
If you are calling to Australasia check out VSPs in that region -
ofen better deals than the UK VSPs.

That's it in a nutshell - check out www.voip-info.org

Warming!! Always have a mobile phone switched on, in the house, for
emergency (999) calls. If your broadband fails you might need it.
voip.co.uk, it seems, do handle 999 calls.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old July 5th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

wrote:

[...]

I forgot to mention...I only quoted the PAP2 as an example of a 2 line
(FXS) ATA. You could also check out the SPA-2002 which would probably
be a better spec.
broadbandbuyer.co.uk have good prices.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old July 5th 06, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ResidentDrunk

Brian A wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 10:59:08 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

snipped lots of useful info

Brian,

Thanks very much for that - I will plough on using your advice.

Jon