Wireless broadband query

Old July 6th 06, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Wireless broadband query

Hi
We live in a flat in a sheletered accommodation that comes with my wife's
job . I have broadband supplied by Pipex and it runs at 2.2mbps on my PC.
Recently the local authority supplied and fitted a computer in the communal
lounge which is directly below our flat, they also fitted a small dish
outside our window for wireless broadband access. This, they said will run
at 8mbps. I've heard of people getting online via wireless access by
connecting to their neighbours connection and was wondering whether I'll be
able to do this. If so what would I need?

TIA
Steve

Old July 6th 06, 01:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Recently the local authority supplied and fitted a computer in the communal
lounge which is directly below our flat, they also fitted a small dish
outside our window for wireless broadband access.

Have you got a wireless dongle, or can you borrow one short-term ? - you
might be able to connect already, but it may well be locked down to the
specific IP address of the machine in the communal area.

There may be "ways" around this if you can figure out what the make and
model of the router is (someone will know the default passwords if they
haven`t been changed) - whether they could prosecute if it was ever
detected is another matter (I believe "theft of electricity" has been
used in similar cases, although the computer misuse act might provide
them with ammo)

The easiest way might be to find out who is responsible and ask for
permission :-}
Old July 6th 06, 03:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
Recently the local authority supplied and fitted a
computer in the communal lounge which is directly below
our flat, they also fitted a small dish outside our
window for wireless broadband access.

Have you got a wireless dongle, or can you borrow one
short-term ? - you might be able to connect already, but
it may well be locked down to the specific IP address of
the machine in the communal area.

There may be "ways" around this if you can figure out
what the make and model of the router is (someone will
know the default passwords if they haven`t been changed)
- whether they could prosecute if it was ever detected is
another matter (I believe "theft of electricity" has been
used in similar cases, although the computer misuse act
might provide them with ammo)

The easiest way might be to find out who is responsible
and ask for permission :-}

The clue may be in the word "dish" - the system installed may be satellite
based, in which case you'll not be able to access it with anything..!

Ivor

Old July 9th 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Been a case elsewhere where someone was prosecuted as was 'parking up' in a
street and using a laptop.. counts as theft...

Old July 11th 06, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JW

Steve wrote:
Hi
We live in a flat in a sheletered accommodation that comes with my wife's
job . I have broadband supplied by Pipex and it runs at 2.2mbps on my PC.
Recently the local authority supplied and fitted a computer in the communal
lounge which is directly below our flat, they also fitted a small dish
outside our window for wireless broadband access. This, they said will run
at 8mbps. I've heard of people getting online via wireless access by
connecting to their neighbours connection and was wondering whether I'll be
able to do this. If so what would I need?

TIA
Steve

The local authority may have access to a radio network using
licenced spectrum (maybe 5.8GHz) for point-to-point links.
This is not the same as unlicenced Wi-Fi used on home or
public networks.

It can be the most cost-effective way to provide broadband
in a rural area with little BT coverage, but it needs a
large user (local authority, NHS, etc) to make it
worthwhile. I know of one such network open to residential
subscribers as well. Which authority is it? There may be
some details on their web-site.

If the LA is amenable, you could connect to the network via
a router, sharing the link with the communal computer. I'd
imagine they'd want proof of your computer's use for LA
business. They might still not be keen to take on a PC
outside their control - what happens when things go wrong?

There may already be a router fitted within the radio modem,
with a spare network port, so you'd only need a cable for
LAN connection. A domestic wireless router is also
possible, in place of the LAN cable. Technically,
connection might be simple, but the admin might not.