Can't see Wireless BELKIN Modem / Router in Device Manager?

Old July 6th 06, 09:50 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tommy Haigh

Default Can't see Wireless BELKIN Modem / Router in Device Manager?

Hi,

Am running WIN XP PRO SP2 and have a BELKIN ADSL Hi Speed Mode Wireless
Router installed.

Is there any reason why I cannot see this hardware in the 'Device
Manager'?

Just thought that it should show as installed hardware.

Thanks,

Tommy H.

Old July 6th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gareth Halfacree

Tommy Haigh wrote:
Am running WIN XP PRO SP2 and have a BELKIN ADSL Hi Speed Mode Wireless
Router installed.

Define 'installed' - a wireless router is a separate box which shares no
physical connection to the computer.

Is there any reason why I cannot see this hardware in the 'Device
Manager'?

See above. You won't see any network devices listed in 'Device Manager'
unless they require a driver installing on the client PC (such as a
network printer) - imagine if there was an entry in Device Manager for
every computer on the Internet.

Just thought that it should show as installed hardware.

See above. The router is not installed in your PC - merely connected to
it via wireless or wired networking. It requires no installation or
drivers and will not appear as an installed device.

--
Gareth Halfacree
http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk
Old July 6th 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tommy Haigh

Thanks Gareth. It's just that I was experiencing a 'few' problems with
a new wireless setup that made me think there was a problem with the
router.

Appreciate your help and comments, Tommy H.