BT Home Hub

Old July 6th 06, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default BT Home Hub

Hi

I had the pleasure?? of installing one of these for someone last night,
first time I've seen this box.

Its a potential nightmare in that theres NOTHING you can
change!............................

Does anyone know of any backdoors to more technical menus? a super user
for instance?

The punter wanted wireless set up, and it went straight for CH1. There
appears however to be nowhere to change this in case of other routers
nearby on the same channel. is it intelligent?
and does a survey and choose the quietest??????

Regards, Keith

Old July 6th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveH

wrote:

Hi

I had the pleasure?? of installing one of these for someone last night,
first time I've seen this box.

Its a potential nightmare in that theres NOTHING you can
change!............................

Does anyone know of any backdoors to more technical menus? a super user
for instance?

The punter wanted wireless set up, and it went straight for CH1. There
appears however to be nowhere to change this in case of other routers
nearby on the same channel. is it intelligent?
and does a survey and choose the quietest??????

Argh!

That doesn't sound good. I'm making the switch to Total Broadband with
the hub tomorrow - I will *not* be happy if I can't get it all
customised as per my current setup.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI - COSOC KOTL
Old July 6th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I had the pleasure?? of installing one of these for someone last night,
first time I've seen this box.

Its a potential nightmare in that theres NOTHING you can
change!............................

Does anyone know of any backdoors to more technical menus? a super user
for instance?

The punter wanted wireless set up, and it went straight for CH1. There
appears however to be nowhere to change this in case of other routers
nearby on the same channel. is it intelligent?
and does a survey and choose the quietest??????

Regards, Keith

So you accessed the advanced tab on the Hub Manager and there were no
changes that were available to you ?

Old July 6th 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Christopher wrote:

So you accessed the advanced tab on the Hub Manager and there were no
changes that were available to you ?

Nope, sweet bugger all of use to a techie! ................

Also the thing has a wep key on the back. Don't think that can be
changed unless theres a backdoor I could see!........... anyone got any
ideas........... I may have to go and replace D-Link g604t on friday
with one of them and I know the wireless is congested around that area

Old July 6th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Christopher wrote:

So you accessed the advanced tab on the Hub Manager and there were no
changes that were available to you ?

Nope, sweet bugger all of use to a techie! ................

Also the thing has a wep key on the back. Don't think that can be
changed unless theres a backdoor I could see!........... anyone got any
ideas........... I may have to go and replace D-Link g604t on friday
with one of them and I know the wireless is congested around that area

It only uses WEP encryption ?!?
Oh deary me ;o)

Old July 6th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Gizmo wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Christopher wrote:

So you accessed the advanced tab on the Hub Manager and there were no
changes that were available to you ?

Nope, sweet bugger all of use to a techie! ................

Also the thing has a wep key on the back. Don't think that can be
changed unless theres a backdoor I could see!........... anyone got any
ideas........... I may have to go and replace D-Link g604t on friday
with one of them and I know the wireless is congested around that area

It only uses WEP encryption ?!?
Oh deary me ;o)

What version of firmware are you running, no update function also that
they talk about in help

Old July 6th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Moonshine

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:31:21 +0100, "Gizmo" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Christopher wrote:

So you accessed the advanced tab on the Hub Manager and there were no
changes that were available to you ?

Nope, sweet bugger all of use to a techie! ................

Also the thing has a wep key on the back. Don't think that can be
changed unless theres a backdoor I could see!........... anyone got any
ideas........... I may have to go and replace D-Link g604t on friday
with one of them and I know the wireless is congested around that area

It only uses WEP encryption ?!?
Oh deary me ;o)

I'm sure you will stumble across the user guide sooner or later...

http://www.homehub.bt.com/html/user-guide.pdf

Which after you have read it you will realise what's been said so far
is rubbish.
Old July 6th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

"Moonshine" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:31:21 +0100, "Gizmo" wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
Christopher wrote:

So you accessed the advanced tab on the Hub Manager and there were no
changes that were available to you ?

Nope, sweet bugger all of use to a techie! ................

Also the thing has a wep key on the back. Don't think that can be
changed unless theres a backdoor I could see!........... anyone got any
ideas........... I may have to go and replace D-Link g604t on friday
with one of them and I know the wireless is congested around that area

It only uses WEP encryption ?!?
Oh deary me ;o)

I'm sure you will stumble across the user guide sooner or later...

http://www.homehub.bt.com/html/user-guide.pdf

Which after you have read it you will realise what's been said so far
is rubbish.

I have no reason to disagree with you apart from the FACT that the User
Guide [both your pdf and my Hard Copy that came with the Home Hub] gives no
way of changing the security settings as the 'admin' log-on is 'basic'. The
is a method of changing to WPA if one is using Fusion but I'm not sure if
this applies.

Old July 6th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Moonshine

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 19:00:44 +0100, "Christopher"
wrote:

"Moonshine" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:31:21 +0100, "Gizmo" wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...
Christopher wrote:

[...]

Can you not click on Advanced - then choose Change user - enter admin
- admin and then become administrator? And then be able to access the
more advanced pages?
Old July 6th 06, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher

"Moonshine" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 19:00:44 +0100, "Christopher"
wrote:

"Moonshine" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:31:21 +0100, "Gizmo" wrote:

wrote in message
legroups.com...
Christopher wrote:

[...]

Yes, I can do that and gain entry as Administrator but for the life of me, I
cannot find a page where I am able to alter the security settings.