SIP over dial up

Old July 6th 06, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tarquell Smith

Default SIP over dial up

Hello,

Is it possible to use a software sip phone over a dial-up connection ? I
read that it was not possible but then my Voipbuster App has an option for
dial up ? and if it is possible what codec would one use (If using anothe
app for instance)?

Cheers

RJ

Old July 6th 06, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Tarquell Smith" wrote in message
. uk
Hello,

Is it possible to use a software sip phone over a dial-up
connection ? I read that it was not possible but then my
Voipbuster App has an option for dial up ? and if it is
possible what codec would one use (If using anothe app
for instance)?

Very unlikely you'd get it to work, except possibly on the lowest quality
codecs. What would be the point anyway, you'd be paying for the phone call
to the ISP, you might as well pay for a call to the destination phone..!

Ivor

Old July 6th 06, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tarquell Smith

to the ISP, you might as well pay for a call to the destination phone..!

Ivor

For local/national calls yes , but I want to do this internationally. Would
call quality be that bad ? I find yahoo (which I currently use) to have
acceptable quality - If I can get SIP sounding this good I will be happy.

Old July 6th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Tarquell Smith" wrote in message
. uk
to the ISP, you might as well pay for a call to the
destination phone..! Ivor

For local/national calls yes , but I want to do this
internationally. Would call quality be that bad ? I find
yahoo (which I currently use) to have acceptable quality
- If I can get SIP sounding this good I will be happy.

Where are you calling from/to..? If in the UK there are loads of different
dial-through services giving costs from 1p/min to most destinations
worldwide.

Ivor

Old July 6th 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Ivor Jones" wrote:
What would be the point anyway, you'd be paying for the phone call to the
ISP, you might as well pay for a call to the destination phone..!

Consider a situation where broadband is unavailable, yet the individual has
unlimited, unmetered dial-up access...........

Old July 6th 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Tarquell Smith:

You can get international calls from 0.5p/min from www.18185.co.uk

http://paygmobile.at/seb For 30 total credit use referral 07962461234
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old July 6th 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message
. uk
"Ivor Jones" wrote:
What would be the point anyway, you'd be paying for the
phone call to the ISP, you might as well pay for a call
to the destination phone..!

Consider a situation where broadband is unavailable, yet
the individual has unlimited, unmetered dial-up
access...........

True enough, although I wouldn't have thought any reasonable quality
codecs would work at dialup speeds.

Ivor

Old July 6th 06, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Jono" wrote in message
. uk
"Ivor Jones" wrote:
What would be the point anyway, you'd be paying for the
phone call to the ISP, you might as well pay for a call
to the destination phone..!

Consider a situation where broadband is unavailable, yet
the individual has unlimited, unmetered dial-up
access...........

True enough, although I wouldn't have thought any reasonable quality
codecs would work at dialup speeds.

Ivor

G.729 should run over it, You can buy SIP handsets with built-in modems,
so I find it unlikely that it wouldn't be workable.
Old July 6th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tarquell Smith

Cheers for the replies - I'm trying to get someone from Pakistan to call me
here - the cheapest I've seen is about 5ppm from a landline which soon adds
up when the wife is on the blower.

RJ

Old July 6th 06, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 16:35:14 GMT, "Tarquell Smith"
wrote:

Cheers for the replies - I'm trying to get someone from Pakistan to call me
here - the cheapest I've seen is about 5ppm from a landline which soon adds
up when the wife is on the blower.

RJ

http://www.topupdiscount.co.uk
4p/min but 5p connection charge.

However, you can use voip without using your dial up by using
callback. You don't need any voip equipment at all. If the person in
Pakistan has a voip connection you can still talk to them. You can
make use of Voxalot's web callback. ( www.voxalot.com ). It can be
triggered from the web or by WAP on a mobile phone.
It will call you on your ordinary phone and the Pakistan number.
Find a cheap UK provider for the calling leg to you and then route
the Pakistan voip via voxalot (equivalent to sipbroker). If they
haven't got voip in Pakistan see if you can find a cheaper voip
provider than PSTN.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.