Can't get Orange livebox to connect

Old July 7th 06, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Rogers

Default Can't get Orange livebox to connect

Got my livebox yesterday and tried to connect it. Everything went fine (red
button flashing as per instruction etc) but when I plugged in the ethernet
cable and tried to get the PC to talk to the livebox all I got was the fact
that the cable was still unplugged.

Rang Orange, on for 35 mins and they said that because my line hadn't been
upgraded yet that the livebox wouldn't work. I am presently on the old 512Mb
unlimited moving to 1Mb 2Gb limited download package)

Came home today and conntect using my old copperjet modem and notice that
the speed had gone up to 1Mb. Tried to connect using livebox and again
nothing.

Rang Orange again (thank God it's free on 150 from a mobile!). The bloke got
me to uninstall / reinstall everything and then got me to remove my other
connections (Freeserve broadband & BT Internet dial up). I questioned this
but he said it would be OK but again the livebox didn't connect to my
computer. And all my connections had been removed but I have now recovered
them.

Of course I could just carry on using my old modem but I want to use the
free internet phone calls facility.

MY conclusion is that the ethernet connection on the livebox is faulty or
the one on my computer is faulty. Or is there something I am missing????

Tim

Old July 7th 06, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Tim Rogers wrote:
Got my livebox yesterday and tried to connect it. Everything went fine
(red
button flashing as per instruction etc) but when I plugged in the ethernet
cable and tried to get the PC to talk to the livebox all I got was the
fact
that the cable was still unplugged.

Rang Orange, on for 35 mins and they said that because my line hadn't been
upgraded yet that the livebox wouldn't work. I am presently on the old
512Mb
unlimited moving to 1Mb 2Gb limited download package)

Whether or not the line was active, the fact that you have no connection to
the router means that it is nothing to do with your line.

Of course I could just carry on using my old modem but I want to use the
free internet phone calls facility.

MY conclusion is that the ethernet connection on the livebox is faulty or
the one on my computer is faulty. Or is there something I am missing????

It doesnt advertise it, but you can connect using a usb cable, the drivers
are on the orange install cd, try it out, see of you can get a connection.

Gaz

Tim

Old July 7th 06, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
me

Check Device Manager and see if your network adapter is installed and
enabled.

Go to Start/Run and type cmd then click OK

At the command prompt type ipconfig/all then hit Enter. See if your pc gets
an IP address from the Livebox. If not, disable any firewall s/w and try
ipconfig again.

Old July 7th 06, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Rogers

Whether or not the line was active, the fact that you have no connection
to the router means that it is nothing to do with your line.

Of course I could just carry on using my old modem but I want to use the
free internet phone calls facility.

MY conclusion is that the ethernet connection on the livebox is faulty or
the one on my computer is faulty. Or is there something I am missing????

It doesnt advertise it, but you can connect using a usb cable, the drivers
are on the orange install cd, try it out, see of you can get a connection.

Gaz

Cheer. Are the USB drivers automatically installed or do I have to install.
I've had a look at the CD contents but can't find how to install the USB
drivers???

Also I could get a USB to Ethernet connector to link the computer to the
livebox???

Tim

Tim

Old July 7th 06, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Tim Rogers wrote:
[...]

I think it is in the drivers folder on the cd, if you just plug the usb
cable into the box and the computer, with the cd in the drive it should find
them, if not, just point them to the drivers folder on the cd.

If this works, you wont need a usb to ethernet connector, as the usb cable
will do what it says.

Gaz

Old July 7th 06, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard M Willis

"Tim Rogers" wrote in message

MY conclusion is that the ethernet connection on the livebox is faulty or
the one on my computer is faulty. Or is there something I am missing????

If the cable is showing as unconnected, then it's the ethernet connexion
between your PC and the livebox that's broken. Are you sure you're using a
patch cable rather than a crossover cable ?

Can you connect to anything else with that cable and your PC's network
card ?

Richard [in SG19]

Old July 7th 06, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Richard M Willis wrote:
"Tim Rogers" wrote in message

MY conclusion is that the ethernet connection on the livebox is faulty or
the one on my computer is faulty. Or is there something I am missing????

If the cable is showing as unconnected, then it's the ethernet connexion
between your PC and the livebox that's broken. Are you sure you're using a
patch cable rather than a crossover cable ?

Can you connect to anything else with that cable and your PC's network
card ?

What's the difference between a patch/crossover cable??? First thing
I'llcheck when I get home is that I have a network card fitted.
Although it says ELAN is unplugged doesn't that mean that the PC
realises that there is a socket there??

Tim

Richard [in SG19]

Old July 7th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Rogers

wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard M Willis wrote:
"Tim Rogers" wrote in message

MY conclusion is that the ethernet connection on the livebox is faulty
or
the one on my computer is faulty. Or is there something I am
missing????

If the cable is showing as unconnected, then it's the ethernet connexion
between your PC and the livebox that's broken. Are you sure you're using
patch cable rather than a crossover cable ?

Can you connect to anything else with that cable and your PC's network
card ?

What's the difference between a patch/crossover cable??? First thing
I'llcheck when I get home is that I have a network card fitted.
Although it says ELAN is unplugged doesn't that mean that the PC
realises that there is a socket there??

Tim

Have tried a work laptop and it connects so it must be my computer. I've got
an ethernet socket and it says that the computer has 10/100Mbps Ethernet on
the front so what's wrong with my PC? . My connection settings icon says the
following:

"ATM ELAN connection 2 Network cable unplugged ATM Emulated LAN unspecified
LAN Name"

Do I need a (new) ethernet card

Or can I cannot the livebox via USB???

or use a USB -- Ethernet Network adapter???

Will that work?

Old July 7th 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Lurker

"Tim Rogers" wrote in message

Have tried a work laptop and it connects so it must be my computer. I've
got an ethernet socket and it says that the computer has 10/100Mbps
Ethernet on the front so what's wrong with my PC? . My connection settings
icon says the following:

"ATM ELAN connection 2 Network cable unplugged ATM Emulated LAN
unspecified LAN Name"

Do I need a (new) ethernet card

Or can I cannot the livebox via USB???

or use a USB -- Ethernet Network adapter???

Will that work?

Don't use USB!

Start, Control Panel, Network Connections, Right click on your LAN card,
Properties, Highlight Internet Protocol (TC/IP), Properties
Are the two obtain boxes checked? IP & DNS