MACs and Tags

Old July 7th 06, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Major Tom

Default MACs and Tags

I used to be with E7even broadband, who went bust on July 1. Can anyone explain to me why
the ' tag ' on my phone line is still in place until July 14 ?
Not only did this company take my money and not provide a service, they have prevented me
from getting broadband from anyone else. There is no hope of a MAC from them. Why doesn't
the ' tag ' die with the company?

Major Tom.

Old July 7th 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:32:25 +0100, "Major Tom" wrote:

I used to be with E7even broadband, who went bust on July 1. Can anyone explain to me why
the ' tag ' on my phone line is still in place until July 14 ?
Not only did this company take my money and not provide a service, they have prevented me
from getting broadband from anyone else. There is no hope of a MAC from them. Why doesn't
the ' tag ' die with the company?

Major Tom.

This begs the question why as subscribers we are not provided with "our" MAC
when we sign up with any provider. This would cater for this kind of situation
or for any other reson to switch provider. Only in exceptional circumstances
can you pay for a Broadband service other than by CCCA or DD so the company
will always collect your money - it is not like holding the morgage deeds
against default payments.
Old July 7th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

"Major Tom" wrote:

I used to be with E7even broadband, who went bust on July 1. Can anyone
explain to me why the ' tag ' on my phone line is still in place
until July 14 ? .... There is no hope of a MAC from them.

There is a piece on http://www.adslguide.org/ about E7even, which was a
reseller of services from some other firm. There's mention of being able
to get a MAC from some other firm, or sign up with them instead.
You therefore should have a simple way out.

If you paid for XX months service via a credit card, you should have some way
to claim back a portion (YY/XX months that you have paid for but which will
not been delivered... I'd suggest that you ignore recent problems and ask
CC firm about the *future* months that you have paid for but which will not
be delivered by e7even (as the CC firm is not going to want to discuss
difficulties with service, but your contract was for XX months for a fee
and the firm has failed to deliver).

Old July 7th 06, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Major Tom

NoNeedToKnow wrote:

If you paid for XX months service via a credit card, you should have some way
to claim back a portion (YY/XX months that you have paid for but which will
not been delivered... I'd suggest that you ignore recent problems and ask
CC firm about the *future* months that you have paid for but which will not
be delivered by e7even (as the CC firm is not going to want to discuss
difficulties with service, but your contract was for XX months for a fee
and the firm has failed to deliver).

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.
I will wait for my line to become ' untagged'.
I was just bemused as to why my line is tied to a defunct company.

Major Tom.

Old July 10th 06, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MartinC

I found from BT wholesale that my line was tagged to Tiscali, who must
have been e7even supplier in my area (Derby). Ringing Tiscali didn't
help, they could see the tag, but wouldn't take it off the line, as I'm
not the customer !!!

The only suggestion from Tiscali was the 'write' in to them saying you
are a new customer and then they will see if they can sort it.

I think Oftel should get involved and give ownership of tags on lines
back to the customers!

M.

Old July 10th 06, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Major Tom

MartinC wrote:
I found from BT wholesale that my line was tagged to Tiscali, who must
have been e7even supplier in my area (Derby). Ringing Tiscali didn't
help, they could see the tag, but wouldn't take it off the line, as I'm
not the customer !!!

The only suggestion from Tiscali was the 'write' in to them saying you
are a new customer and then they will see if they can sort it.

I think Oftel should get involved and give ownership of tags on lines
back to the customers!

I still can't get an answer from anyone as to why my line is unusable for broadband for 2
weeks because of a bunch of crooks. And this new shower, Ezeedsl or whoever, are probably
just the E7even ******* in another office.
Anyway, I'm off to Zen on Friday.

Major Tom.

Old July 10th 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter James

"Major Tom" wrote in message
MartinC wrote:
I found from BT wholesale that my line was tagged to Tiscali, who must
have been e7even supplier in my area (Derby). Ringing Tiscali didn't
help, they could see the tag, but wouldn't take it off the line, as I'm
not the customer !!!

The only suggestion from Tiscali was the 'write' in to them saying you
are a new customer and then they will see if they can sort it.

I think Oftel should get involved and give ownership of tags on lines
back to the customers!

I still can't get an answer from anyone as to why my line is unusable for
broadband for 2 weeks because of a bunch of crooks. And this new shower,
Ezeedsl or whoever, are probably just the E7even ******* in another
office.
Anyway, I'm off to Zen on Friday.

Major Tom.

Have you tried phoning 151?

Two months ago I moved house, took over the existing BT phone line, and
attempted to set up a BB connection at my new abode with Virgin, who told me
the line was tagged (I subsequently found out that the previous owner was
with Tiscali), and advised me to call BT on 151 and request that the tag be
removed from the line that I was paying for. They did, simple as that.

HTH

--
Peter

Old July 10th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Major Tom

Peter James wrote:
.

Have you tried phoning 151?

Two months ago I moved house, took over the existing BT phone line, and
attempted to set up a BB connection at my new abode with Virgin, who told me
the line was tagged (I subsequently found out that the previous owner was
with Tiscali), and advised me to call BT on 151 and request that the tag be
removed from the line that I was paying for. They did, simple as that.

HTH

I have just tried 151 as you suggested, and after finally getting hold of a real person
and explaining my predicament she went off to speak to someone else and came back about 5
mins later and said there was nothing they could do and suggested I contact OFCOM.
I had already done that and was told they were ' looking into it as a matter of priority '
i.e. useless.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Major Tom.

Old July 10th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Major Tom wrote:
Peter James wrote:
.

[...]

Could I suggest you try again, you may get someone who is more open to
your problem

Old July 11th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Major Tom

kráftéé wrote:
Major Tom wrote:
Peter James wrote:
.

[...]

Hi,
I really can't be bothered anymore to jump through the hoops of 151. As soon as you
mention BB they say it's your ISP's problem. The fact that the ISP does not exist is
totally beyond them. It's obvious that whatever this tag thing is it wasn't thought out
properly to start with. Nobody, OFCOM included, seems to have considered the fact that
firms collapse.It appears that it's not compulsory to provide a MAC, only left to the ISPs
discretion and if the ISP is run by crooks, that's your tough luck.

Major Tom.