NEWS: Pipex launches 6.50 "up to 8 Mbps" service

Old July 7th 06, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Who me?

Default NEWS: Pipex launches 6.50 "up to 8 Mbps" service

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2723
Pipex has today announced its launch of an up to 8 Mbps broadband service
for 6.50 per month including a modem and free connection. The catch? Well
this is only available in conjunction with the Pipex Anytime calls package
costing 12.50 per month and you still have to pay BT line rental.
The Pipex service provides free unlimited local and national voice calls,
web space and e-mail services. According to Pipex it is available to over
99% of UK households. For more details, including terms and conditions,
visit www.pipex.co.uk

The Carphone Warehouse offer of free broadband with its TalkTalk phone
service has started a ripple effect in the industry with the increasing need
for ISPs to bundle telephone calls into their packages to compete on the
market. Orange has also started to provide free broadband to subscribers of
some of its mobile phone services. The next question is when will triple
play, the bundling of broadband, telephony and television/video take over as
the key residential market solution where Sky has the potential to dominate
this market. Whilst several services including those from HomeChoice and
Namesco are already available, this has yet to prove a key demand driver.

--
"Off all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most."
~ Ozzy Osbourne

Old July 7th 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 7 Jul 2006 15:32, "nick" wrote:

laughable..

What is ? A single line, hell - single word - comment

So you think Pipex is laughable as a company? The newly announced phone
service is laughable? That theirs still depends on a BT rented line?

WTF is "laughable"... the comment is, perhaps, without further explanation!

Old July 7th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaxtraw

Who me? wrote:
[...]

Personally, I despair of the whole market heading downwards towards cheap
prices instead of quality. We're never going to get a decent level of
infrastructure at this rate. We'll all be on "up to 100Mb/s" with a 1GB cap
in a couple of years time, I'd imagine.

Ian

Old July 8th 06, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

From: "Jaxtraw"

Hi Ian... long time no see... still visiting Met-... these days :-)

I like your e-mail address - very appropriate!

Trust you're having fun on Z.. but at what cost ?
I'm happy on a 14.99 bargain... Peter M.
Old July 12th 06, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jaxtraw

From: "Jaxtraw"

Hi Ian

Hi again

.... long time no see... still visiting Met-... these days :-)

Metronet? Met-Art? Metabelis 3?

I like your e-mail address - very appropriate!

Hehe thanks. I keep meaning to add the "remove knickers to mail me" to my
sig again...

Mind you, seriously, had some problems with somebody on a newsgroup who kept
saying they'd mailed me and they weren't getting through. In the end
realised they were sending the mails to
and similar. Honest to god...

Trust you're having fun on Z.. but at what cost ?

Well, after Pusnet, the service is superb. My accounts uncapped, the
connection never seems to slow down, and the news server, including the
binaries, actually works! I hear Plusnet gave up and scrapped binaries...
not unexpected. I also see their cap on "premier" is now down to 15GB.
Sheesh, I remember when they were pretty good.

I'm happy on a 14.99 bargain... Peter M.

Well I'm paying rather more, but it's nice being with an ISP where I don't
have to hang around constantly on the support newsgroup to find out that
more restricitons have been added to my account or where the email's gone
(mind you, I don't use ISP email any more). The only time I've had to call
support was when my DNS suddenly went down, and it turned out I'd ignored an
email telling me the DNS IPs were being changed- so my fault anyway, that
one. As things stand, I'm only likely to change again if they try and force
me onto MaxDSL. I keep saying it; what the industry needs is more core
bandwidth, not higher speeds.

(I see Plusnet are now offering an 8Mb/s account with a usage allocation of
50MB! Wow, one minute per month! Go, Plusnet!!!)

Ian

--
www.jaxtrawstudios.com
science fiction comics with shagging in