Plusnet = no email

Old July 7th 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nick

Default Plusnet = no email

first they scrapped Usenet, now they seem to have scrapped email. what's next, http?

Old July 7th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:32:04 +0100, "nick" wrote:

first they scrapped Usenet, now they seem to have scrapped email. what's next, http?

When did they scrap Usenet, I'm still getting it fine
However, I must admit the email has become rubbish of late

--

Martin

Old July 7th 06, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 07 Jul 2006, Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:

When did they scrap Usenet, I'm still getting it fine

lol - scrapped binaries

Old July 7th 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dobson

Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:32:04 +0100, "nick" wrote:

first they scrapped Usenet, now they seem to have scrapped email. what's next, http?

Is there any use for ISP provided email nowadays?

I thought most folk had cottoned on to webmail or cheap domain names?
Old July 7th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:15:56 UTC, Simon Dobson
wrote:

Martin  @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:32:04 +0100, "nick" wrote:

first they scrapped Usenet, now they seem to have scrapped email. what's next, http?

Is there any use for ISP provided email nowadays?

I thought most folk had cottoned on to webmail or cheap domain names?

Domain name does not equal email, though.
http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old July 8th 06, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dobson

wrote:

Martin  @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:32:04 +0100, "nick" wrote:

first they scrapped Usenet, now they seem to have scrapped email. what's next, http?

Is there any use for ISP provided email nowadays?

I thought most folk had cottoned on to webmail or cheap domain names?

Domain name does not equal email, though.

Well, no it doesn't, but I thought most readers would get the jist from
that over saying "cheap domain names supplied with one or more pop3
inboxes" ;-)
Old July 8th 06, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:15:56 +0100, Simon Dobson
wrote:

Martin @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:32:04 +0100, "nick" wrote:

first they scrapped Usenet, now they seem to have scrapped email. what's next, http?

Is there any use for ISP provided email nowadays?

cost?

I thought most folk had cottoned on to webmail or cheap domain names?

Personally, I prefer the simple interface of my pop3 client and still
only download e-mails less than 10k in size automatically and use
selective download for the HTML c**p e-mails that are larger (shades
of v.34). Also, when I fetch e-mails, I don't need to download all the
fancy web page graphics that comes with webmail - an overhead probably
20 times the size of the message I want to read.

PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.
Old July 8th 06, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dobson

PeeGee wrote:
cost?

Yup, but there's free webmail..

I thought most folk had cottoned on to webmail or cheap domain names?

Personally, I prefer the simple interface of my pop3 client and still

...me too. I just don't get along with webmail at all; to slow, doesn't
integrate with anything, plagued with adverts, poor interfaces that
don't come close to a decent email app, and more importantly you're at
the mercy of the provider as to how long your email is accessible.

But that's why I bought a domain name years ago.. And it's happily seen
me through numerous changes of internet provider without the need to let
everyone know a new address.