[SIP] Multimedia, TV and radio streaming

Old July 7th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
kael

Default [SIP] Multimedia, TV and radio streaming

Hi,

I'm new to SIP and searching for a SIP multimedia server.

I'd like to store podcasts for example on a remote server and access
them via SIP.

I was also wondering if there would be a way to redirect radio and TV
streams to SIP devices.

Thanks.

--
kael
Old July 8th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

kael wrote:

I'm new to SIP and searching for a SIP multimedia server.

There's a few out there, like Nortel MCS 5200, but I doubt it's cheap! What
sort of budget do you have? Are you intending to turn this into a saleable
service?

I'd like to store podcasts for example on a remote server and access
them via SIP.

This could actually be pretty easy with Asterisk and a bit of dialplan
hacking - just so long as your content is in [or could be converted to] a
sensible format.

I was also wondering if there would be a way to redirect radio and TV
streams to SIP devices.

I would guess if there was any software that would be a suitable base to
start from, then it's Asterisk. If you're a dab hand at hacking code, then
you can program Asterisk to do pretty much anything with AGI and the
programming language of your choice. For example:

exten = 123,1,Answer
exten = 123,2,Playback(getting-latest-podcast)
exten = 123,3,System(getlatestpodcast.pl)
exten = 123,4,Playback(podcasts/current-podcast)
exten = 123,5,Goto(105)
exten = 123,104,Playback(failed-to-download)
exten = 123,105,Hangup

Where getlatestpodcast.pl is a perl script that downloads the latest[1]
podcast from your favourite podcast site and saves it in the appropriate
format for Asterisk. You then dial extension 123 and listen to your
podcast! This is by no means a complete example, but should give you an
idea of what's possible with a bit of elbow grease.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:33:49 up 2 days, 18:47, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.14, 0.10

[1] I'm disappointed to see that Ispell doesn't see 'lastest' as a spelling
mistake :-S
Old July 9th 06, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
kael

alexd wrote:
kael wrote:

I'm new to SIP and searching for a SIP multimedia server.

There's a few out there, like Nortel MCS 5200, but I doubt it's cheap! What
sort of budget do you have? Are you intending to turn this into a saleable
service?

Well, I was looking for a f/oss server.

I've found the SnowShore IP Media Server
http://www.cantata.com/products/media_server/ but it's not free and
mostly for carriers.

Is the Nortel MCS 5200 server free ?

[...]

I had a quick look at Asterisk but haven't set it up yet.

I'm not a programmer and would rather use pre-built tools.

Actually, I'm trying to build an architecture to store podcasts on IMAP
servers and to read them via SIP as described in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/...reaming-00.txt
and
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/...amctrls-00.txt
- but this architecture is not usable yet.

Alternatively, using Asterisk would be enough but I'm wondering how
files are stored on the server. I'd like also to have the ability to use
a VCR-control like system, but not sure there's any SIP client for that
(apparently, VLC and MPlayer can read SIP resources).

--
kael
Old July 9th 06, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

kael wrote:

Well, I was looking for a f/oss server.

freshmeat.net is a good place to start.

Is the Nortel MCS 5200 server free ?

If I had to guess, I'd say a big fat 'no'.

I'm not a programmer and would rather use pre-built tools.

Oh well.

Alternatively, using Asterisk would be enough but I'm wondering how
files are stored on the server.

They'll be stored as WAV, MP3 or GSM encoded files [to name but a few] on
the filesystem. If there were multiply encoded versions of the same file,
it would pick the one with the cheapest translation cost to the codec the
User-Agent was using [be it phone, softphone, videophone etc] - hence not
specifying the extension of the file when using Playback()

I'd like also to have the ability to use
a VCR-control like system, but not sure there's any SIP client for that
(apparently, VLC and MPlayer can read SIP resources).

Like pause/fast forward/rewind? I'm pretty sure asterisk can do that.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK