ADSL in spain?

Old July 7th 06, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

Default ADSL in spain?

Ok, so this is UK.telecom.broadband, so it's a shot in the dark, but...

A friend is moving to spain. Not my Taza de té, but she seems to like
the idea.

Does anyone in this group know what features of UK broadband equipment
would be necessary for it to work (legally, too) in Spain?

Apart from schuko plugs, which we can deal with by trailing sockets, are
spanish ADSL providers known for
A) existing, and
B) using a system common enough to be compatible with equipment made for
the UK market (i.e. PPP over ATM, G.DMT, PAP/CHAP authentication, etc.)

Also does anyone know the 802.11 channels that can be used in spain?
France is wierd in europe, but most other countries I though were fairly
unrestricted.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old July 8th 06, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Forrester

Yes e.g. http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/adsl_Compare.htm

B) using a system common enough to be compatible with equipment made for
the UK market (i.e. PPP over ATM, G.DMT, PAP/CHAP authentication, etc.)

I use one of my UK sourced Draytek routers in Spain with little trouble.

Also does anyone know the 802.11 channels that can be used in spain?
France is wierd in europe, but most other countries I though were fairly
unrestricted.

I did read something about wireless regs in Spain prohibiting the signal
from going outside your property. I haven't bothered to check but don't
get a strong signal more than 20m from the villa anyway. The rules
might explain why there are relatively few hotspots in Spain compared to
the UK (or even France).
Old July 8th 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 07:26:05 +0100, Colin Forrester
wrote:

Jim Howes wrote:

[...]

Mallorca does not seem to worry about regs, drive through any
village/town and there are many wireless signals.

In Palma city on just 1 mile length of road found 40+ !!!!, many
unsecured.

Old July 8th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Colin Forrester" wrote in
message

[snip]

I did read something about wireless regs in Spain
prohibiting the signal from going outside your property. I haven't
bothered to check but don't get a strong signal
more than 20m from the villa anyway. The rules might
explain why there are relatively few hotspots in Spain
compared to the UK (or even France).

How do they convince the radio waves to obey the regulations..?! Neat
trick if you can do it..!

Ivor