SIP software on PDA/XDA?

Old July 7th 06, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

Default SIP software on PDA/XDA?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cant find an answer for it..

I am in the process of buying a PDA, mainly for Sat Nav in the car, but
I thought I might aswell buy one with WiFi when I first buy.. And with
WiFi I would like to be able to make/recieve phonecalls on it aswell if
possible, when connected to a WiFi point. So, does anybody have any
experience with PDAs and SIP software? I understand X-lite make one,
but im not sure if it works properly.
Old July 7th 06, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scope

I would also be interested in how the speaker works.. Can you actually
use the PDA as a phone, wont the speaker give a echo for the caller? Or
would you use a headset, etc?
Old July 7th 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Neil Hampton

Hi,

We are in the process of developing a SIP phone for a Palm PDAs and
there is one already available (mobiVoip). Ours should be available in
the next couple of months.

You could use a headset to prevent echo, alternatively most software
should have echo cancellation to prevent echo when the PDA is used as a
speakerphone.

Regards,
Neil Hampton
Hampton Software Ltd.
http://www.hamptonsoftware.co.uk

Old July 7th 06, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ron Beluga

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:39:36 +0100, Scope wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cant find an answer for it..

I am in the process of buying a PDA, mainly for Sat Nav in the car, but
I thought I might aswell buy one with WiFi when I first buy.. And with
WiFi I would like to be able to make/recieve phonecalls on it aswell if
possible, when connected to a WiFi point. So, does anybody have any
experience with PDAs and SIP software? I understand X-lite make one,
but im not sure if it works properly.

SJ Phone is a good one

http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html

Greetings

Ron
Ein kluger Mann macht nicht alle Fehler selbst.
Er gibt auch anderen eine Chance. (Winston Churchill)
Old July 8th 06, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Neil Hampton wrote:

You could use a headset to prevent echo, alternatively most software
should have echo cancellation to prevent echo when the PDA is used as a
speakerphone.

Just out of interest, do most [whatever that means] PDAs have enough
horsepower to do echo cancellation?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
14:32:26 up 2 days, 18:46, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.09, 0.09

Old July 8th 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
linker3000

Ron Beluga wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:39:36 +0100, Scope wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cant find an answer for it..

I am in the process of buying a PDA, mainly for Sat Nav in the car, but
I thought I might aswell buy one with WiFi when I first buy.. And with
WiFi I would like to be able to make/recieve phonecalls on it aswell if
possible, when connected to a WiFi point. So, does anybody have any
experience with PDAs and SIP software? I understand X-lite make one,
but im not sure if it works properly.

SJ Phone is a good one

http://www.sjlabs.com/sjp.html

Greetings

Ron
Ein kluger Mann macht nicht alle Fehler selbst.
Er gibt auch anderen eine Chance. (Winston Churchill)

Having used both SJ Phone and X-Lite with an iPAQ 4155, I'd say that SJ
Phone is marginally better in terms of ease of use and X-Lite is better
in terms of functionality, has slightly better sound quality but is a
bugger to configure.

Overall, SIP softphones on a PDA give 'OK' sound quality, but I'd not
want to use them as my main phone.

They're both free apps so why not give them both a test run?

Old July 8th 06, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:39:36 +0100, Scope wrote:

I am in the process of buying a PDA, mainly for Sat Nav in the car, but
I thought I might aswell buy one with WiFi when I first buy.

If that's all you are buying it for, don't.

A standalone unit that's purpose-designed is a better bet, as long as
you don't buy the cheapest on the market.
Old July 9th 06, 02:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Neil Hampton

Yes. Simple echo cancellation takes no where near the power required
for the voice compression and this works without any problems on a
modern PDA.

Many PDAs have processors that are faster than desktop PCs of not so
many years ago! PDA speed is often more limited by factors other than
the processor horsepower (e.g. flash memory, battery preservation etc.).

Old July 9th 06, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 07:14:29 +0100, Scope wrote:

I need a PDA for organising numbers/addresses/birthdays, etc aswell, so
instead of getting a simple PDA to replace my broken Palm top I'll get
something I can use for both.. The WiFi/VoIP is just an added bonus
which allows me to use the unit for even more.

Fair enough.

There is very little VOIP software for WM5, just a beta of SJPhone,
AFAIK. Unless you get WM5 in the PDA, you'll probably lose all your
numbers/addresses/birthdays when the battery runs down, so I'd suggest
that WM5 is required.