Broadband difficult to connect

Old July 8th 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Rogers

Default Broadband difficult to connect

My sister has had Orange/Wanadoo Broadband for some time. For the last 18
months or so she has had difficulty connecting to the service and when
on-line get frequently cut off especially at busy times (early evening etc)

She rang Wanadoo a few months ago and was told that the distance between her
main telephone socket and her computer was too far (it's about 10 metres
(max). Mine is further than that and I have never had a problem.

What can she do to improve this situation?

Is it Orange's fault or is it BT?

Would moving to a different provider BT or dare I say it Talk Talk improve
things?

Thanks in advance

Tim (who's found this forum very useful for his own Broadband problems!!!)

Old July 8th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Tim Rogers wrote:
My sister has had Orange/Wanadoo Broadband for some time. For the
last 18 months or so she has had difficulty connecting to the
service
and when on-line get frequently cut off especially at busy times
(early evening etc)
She rang Wanadoo a few months ago and was told that the distance
between her main telephone socket and her computer was too far (it's
about 10 metres (max). Mine is further than that and I have never
had
a problem.
What can she do to improve this situation?

Is it Orange's fault or is it BT?

Would moving to a different provider BT or dare I say it Talk Talk
improve things?

Thanks in advance

Tim (who's found this forum very useful for his own Broadband
problems!!!)

Short answer yes, long answer maybe

Old July 8th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Tim Rogers" wrote in message
My sister has had Orange/Wanadoo Broadband for some time. For the last 18
months or so she has had difficulty connecting to the service and when
on-line get frequently cut off especially at busy times (early evening
etc)

She rang Wanadoo a few months ago and was told that the distance between
her main telephone socket and her computer was too far (it's about 10
metres (max). Mine is further than that and I have never had a problem.

What can she do to improve this situation?

Is it Orange's fault or is it BT?

Would moving to a different provider BT or dare I say it Talk Talk improve
things?

Thanks in advance

Tim (who's found this forum very useful for his own Broadband problems!!!)

That's a new excuse for a crap service! If it has been working then
suddenly it doesn't - check the computer and modem. It is 99% likely to be
the fault of the ISP. Some with expensive help lines will introduce the odd
fault as a revenue raiser as they know people will ring in. It happens at
certain points in the financial year.
Don't forget Talk Talk is just as expensive as having a BT line and using an
ISP that suits your needs.
Don't be taken in by the word FREE.

Old July 8th 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 20:56:37 +0100, Tim Rogers wrote:

My sister has had Orange/Wanadoo Broadband for some time. For the last 18
months or so she has had difficulty connecting to the service and when
on-line get frequently cut off especially at busy times (early evening etc)

It may be be the ISP, but I've seen that behaviour with routers
going bad.

If you can borrow one, try swapping it.
Old July 8th 06, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Rogers

"Bob" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 20:56:37 +0100, Tim Rogers wrote:

My sister has had Orange/Wanadoo Broadband for some time. For the last 18
months or so she has had difficulty connecting to the service and when
on-line get frequently cut off especially at busy times (early evening
etc)

It may be be the ISP, but I've seen that behaviour with routers
going bad.

If you can borrow one, try swapping it.

Suppose I could give my 'copperjet' modem a go now I've got my Livebox
working!

Tim

Old July 9th 06, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

How can a few metres of wire, perhaps stuck on the end of miles of
cable, have any possible effect?

It's an old wives tale!

Old July 9th 06, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

How can a few metres of wire, perhaps stuck on the end of miles of
cable, have any possible effect?

It's an old wives tale!

=======================================

Try adding on a few extra metres. It might improve matters. I'm not
joking!

Old July 9th 06, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 22:22:20 UTC, "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

How can a few metres of wire, perhaps stuck on the end of miles of
cable, have any possible effect?

It's an old wives tale!

I used to think the same, but practice shows otherwise.

I think there *is* a difference...the extra few metres are often in an
interference-rich environment, compared to the rest.

http://www.broadbandbanter.com
Old July 9th 06, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Tim Rogers" wrote in message
My sister has had Orange/Wanadoo Broadband for some time. For the last 18
months or so she has had difficulty connecting to the service and when
on-line get frequently cut off especially at busy times (early evening
etc)

She rang Wanadoo a few months ago and was told that the distance between
her main telephone socket and her computer was too far (it's about 10
metres (max). Mine is further than that and I have never had a problem.

What can she do to improve this situation?

Is it Orange's fault or is it BT?

Would moving to a different provider BT or dare I say it Talk Talk improve
things?

I had a friend with the same problem including the quality worsening in the
evening. They had an extension lead from the master socket to a socket
upstairs beside the PC. The distance wasn't great but the extension was
longer than required with the last few feet done up in a loose coil by the
socket. Replacing the lead with one of the correct length solved it
totally. I suspect the problem was caused by both the extra length and the
coiling up of the excess cable.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old July 9th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 23:37:52 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Reg
Edwards" wrote:

How can a few metres of wire, perhaps stuck on the end of miles of
cable, have any possible effect?

It's an old wives tale!

Its not. The cable from the exchange might be better quality, better
insulated and better protected than the cheapo junk extension wire
from a DIY superstore. The signal might be *just* strong enough to
reach your front door, but no more.

As an anaolgy, consider standing a few metres up a beach from the high
water mark. The waves have come thousands of miles, how could a few
extra metres possibly stop them reaching you? Try this in different
places, and in some locations you'll find that the waves /do/ reach
you, due to small differences in local geography.
--
Mark McIntyre