Any info about Tesco internet phone

Old July 8th 06, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ted_radioham

Default Any info about Tesco internet phone

Looking at the site it seems to be a usb phone. I use voipcheap at present,
anyone know if it will work with this on my pc. Any guidance appreciated.

ted

Old July 8th 06, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Max Power

ted_radioham wrote:
Looking at the site it seems to be a usb phone. I use voipcheap at present,
anyone know if it will work with this on my pc. Any guidance appreciated.

ted

It looks like the USB-P1K, details of which can be found here
http://www.yealink.com/en/newest.asp.
The voipbustermate software which works with Voipcheap can be found
he http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp
Old July 8th 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"ted_radioham" wrote in message
Looking at the site it seems to be a usb phone. I use voipcheap at
present, anyone know if it will work with this on my pc. Any guidance
appreciated.

ted

For a fiver more you can get a Vonage PAP2. They are easily unlocked.

--
Graham. G3ZVT

%Profound_observation%

Old July 8th 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
fred

"Graham." wrote in message ...

"ted_radioham" wrote in message
Looking at the site it seems to be a usb phone. I use voipcheap at
present, anyone know if it will work with this on my pc. Any guidance
appreciated.

ted

For a fiver more you can get a Vonage PAP2. They are easily unlocked.

--
Graham. G3ZVT

%Profound_observation%

Rubbish! They are 40 to buy unlocked as the Vonage ones stocked in places
like Comet have dried up. Even if you DID manage to get a Vonage Pap2 it
will be locked by the latest firmware thus rendering it useless for any
other voip provider. I would go for the Tesco Phone if I were you Ted as its
a good service.
Fred.

Old July 9th 06, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

Rubbish! They are 40 to buy unlocked as the Vonage ones stocked in places
like Comet have dried up. Even if you DID manage to get a Vonage Pap2 it
will be locked by the latest firmware thus rendering it useless for any
other voip provider. I would go for the Tesco Phone if I were you Ted as
its a good service.
Fred.

Well if that's the case Fred, I am glad I got mine at Comet in the beginning
of May.

I regularly have both lines in use via Voipcheap.

I think you will find that Ted is interested in the USB phone, not the Tesco
service,

at 2ppm for UK geographics, they can keep it.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 9th 06, 04:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JC

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 19:21:36 GMT, "ted_radioham"
wrote:

Looking at the site it seems to be a usb phone. I use voipcheap at present,
anyone know if it will work with this on my pc. Any guidance appreciated.

It's a Yamamoto USB phone which appears as an audio and HID in
windows. Drivers for common systems are he

http://www.yamamoto-group.co.uk/index.php?page=download

FWIW the Tesco software appears to use a skinned version of Cubix
customised to their service. You can download the generic software
he

https://www.virbiage.com/cubix.php

This works well with any SIP or IAX provider, but FWIW I prefer
SJphone. Both support the USB phones keypad and display without
problems. The only minor gripe with the phone is the display doesn't
show the incoming number, just the time/date and number dialed.

The Tesco service is IAX based and any IAX softphone or hardphone
should work with it. I've only tested Cubix, can anyone try an IAXy?
IAX settings are gateway.tescointernetphone.com and your username and
password.

I'm a bit mixed about the Tesco service. It's nice that they've used a
standards based solution, but SIP would appear to have given them more
flexibility. Their proxy doesn't appear to accept SIP connections and
there's no way to call or be called by other SIP networks. A SIPbroker
shortcode is what they really need.

The service setup is messy, giving you a choice of a few area codes
which are incorrectly formatted for display. Minor villages such as
Birmingham are not listed and London only has numbers beginning with
'3' available.

For 15 with 5 of calling thrown in it's interesting and a good way
to get a USB phone if you need one. I certainly wouldn't stick with
the service and if your planning on using VoIP seriously from a fixed
location then you need a hardphone or ATA.

Rgds
Jonathan
Old July 9th 06, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ted_radioham

Thanks for all the replies, I am still a bit confused, yes I just wanted a
USB phone to work with my voipcheap, I also at times use voiodiscount and
skype. Suppose the question should be then can anyone tell me what usb phone
I can buy that is ready to go without unlocking or searching for special
software ?. (In my ignorance thought tesco phone a cheap option, sorry )

Old July 9th 06, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Meggahurtz

"ted_radioham" wrote in message
(In my ignorance thought tesco phone a cheap option, sorry )

Not your fault Ted, you have probably seen the adverts bombarded on tv etc
like the rest of us has.

Typical of these major stores, fooling the public into thinking they are
getting a good deal.

Old July 9th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 10:10:50 +0100, "Meggahurtz"
wrote:

Typical of these major stores, fooling the public into thinking they are
getting a good deal.

That's how they got to be big stores!
Old July 9th 06, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Pawson

ted_radioham wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, I am still a bit confused, yes I just wanted a
USB phone to work with my voipcheap, I also at times use voiodiscount and
skype. Suppose the question should be then can anyone tell me what usb phone
I can buy that is ready to go without unlocking or searching for special
software ?. (In my ignorance thought tesco phone a cheap option, sorry )

Maplins are doing on in their sale for about 12.