Thinking of subscribing to NTL?

Old July 8th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
McSpreader

Default Thinking of subscribing to NTL?

Alex wrote in
:

[extract from NTL service status snipped]
WHat is your point? Are you criticising NTL for doing network
maintenance at all, doing it between 00:00-06:00, letting users know
in advance, or what?

[usual tirade snipped]

Well my advice is don't join them. No use.

What a surprise. Yet another "ISP Xxxx is rubbish" post. I suspect
that every ISP has its band of seething, dissatisfied customers who
are recommending against them and threatening to go elsewhere. The
satisfied majority tends to remain silent.

A friend of mine has a different supplier. We watch same teams
same time same games, no problems.

Eh? WTF is that about then?

Old July 8th 06, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

McSpreader wrote:
Alex wrote in
:

[extract from NTL service status snipped]
WHat is your point? Are you criticising NTL for doing network
maintenance at all, doing it between 00:00-06:00, letting users know
in advance, or what?

[usual tirade snipped]

Well my advice is don't join them. No use.

What a surprise. Yet another "ISP Xxxx is rubbish" post. I suspect
that every ISP has its band of seething, dissatisfied customers who
are recommending against them and threatening to go elsewhere. The
satisfied majority tends to remain silent.

The thing about NTL is that they make even PN look proffesional.

Whilst I was in their clutches they took their broadband Usenet server
down for maintenance & 3 years down the line it still had not returned
& the Usenet service they were providing was dire in very many ways.
Email tended to get lost & at one time it was quicker for me to walk
across town (60 minutes drive if I wanted to waste petrol) than to
wait for the eventual delivery of email & by the time I did get it it
was always to late to do anything about it. Most nights were spent
looking for the working Inktomi, their supposed transparent proxies
were anything but, you didn't dare turn off/power down your cable
modem as there was over subscription in my area & they didn't have the
funds the do anything about it....

That's what I can remember after nearly 2 years of freedom. As I have
already said they make PN look almost professional....

Old July 9th 06, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 21:41:15 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , "kráftéé"
[email protected] you know what'sgoodforu.pus.com wrote:

Whilst I was in their clutches they took their broadband Usenet server
down for maintenance & 3 years down the line it still had not returned
& the Usenet service they were providing was dire in very many ways.
Email tended to get lost & at one time it was quicker for me to walk
across town (60 minutes drive if I wanted to waste petrol) than to
wait for the eventual delivery of email & by the time I did get it it

Again, to put a different perspective, I've had ntl for some years and
its been essentially fine. email isn't a problem (I can email my wife
from work while talking to her on the phone and she will generally get
it in realtime), and the usenet service is fine as long as you don't
want binaries (I've no idea what usenet server you think has been down
for three years, its working fine).
--
Mark McIntyre
Old July 9th 06, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

[...]

Bet the cable modem server is still absent

Old July 9th 06, 02:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
McSpreader

"kráftéé" [email protected] you know
what'sgoodforu.pus.com wrote in news:[email protected]
nntp-reader01.plus.net:

Bet the cable modem server is still absent

A quarter past four.
Old July 9th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

wrote in message ...
Whilst I was in their clutches they took their broadband Usenet server
down for maintenance & 3 years down the line it still had not returned

Sorry, that's just not possible.

With respect, I'd say it was more your settings were incorrect.

Old July 9th 06, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

what'sgoodforu.pus.com wrote in message
Whilst I was in their clutches they took their broadband Usenet
server down for maintenance & 3 years down the line it still had
not
returned

Sorry, that's just not possible.

With respect, I'd say it was more your settings were incorrect.

Sorry but NTL took the cable modem usenet servers for maintanence over
a Christmas period & they never returned, the IP addresses where later
directed towards their normal usenet servers & was like that till I
left nearly 2 years ago...

Old July 9th 06, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

Whilst I was in their clutches they took their broadband Usenet
server down for maintenance & 3 years down the line it still had
not returned

the usenet service is fine as long as you don't
want binaries (I've no idea what usenet server you think has been
down for three years, its working fine).

Bet the cable modem server is still absent

You're making no sense. ntl's usenet servers are all here, working as
well as ever. If you expected a specific IP address to still be a
server, you're somewhat silly.
--
Mark McIntyre
Old July 9th 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 14:28:30 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , "kráftéé"

Gizmo wrote:
"kráftéé" [email protected] you know
what'sgoodforu.pus.com wrote in message
Whilst I was in their clutches they took their broadband Usenet
server down for maintenance & 3 years down the line it still had
not
returned

Sorry, that's just not possible.

With respect, I'd say it was more your settings were incorrect.

Sorry but NTL took the cable modem usenet servers for maintanence over
a Christmas period & they never returned, the IP addresses where later
directed towards their normal usenet servers & was like that till I
left nearly 2 years ago...

At last you make some sense.

You disremember, or perhaps just misunderstood. The specific cable
customer servers were getting more and more flakey as the number of
users grew rapdly . To resolve this ntl: decided to migrate all users
onto the general usenet server pool, and beef that up at the same time
(probably by rebuilding the old servers and putting them into the
pool).

I don't see the problem with this, at the time their userbase was
switching rapidly from dialup to BB, so it made sense to put the
larger number of users on the hairier servers.

So frankly, I'm confused as to what your issue is.
--
Mark McIntyre
Old July 9th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

Gizmo wrote:
[...]

This issue was that despite all the maintenance (beefing up as you
call it) it never ever got back to the service level which NTL
promised would happen after removing the CM servers (for servicing) &
for the rest of my usage (3years) people were always complaining about
the servers which were available (& it wasn't about binaries either,
just in case you throw that one in)