Reasons why you should choose an Analogue Telephone Adater (ATA) over that of a USB phone using Skype or a SIP Softphone

Old July 9th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default Reasons why you should choose an Analogue Telephone Adater (ATA) over that of a USB phone using Skype or a SIP Softphone

I am writng this because I see so many postings, on this newsgroup, by
people enquiring about USB handsets. As, personally, I think that they
are misled I have briefly outlined the relative merits of ditching the
idea of a USB handset and, instead, going for an ATA (Analogue
Telephone Adapter).

So many people choose these USB handsets because they feel that can
cope with the technology. They fear trying something they don't know
much about. A little bit of reading up and setting up of a simple ATA
is not so difficult to do. Indeed, it is possible to get an ATA that
is UNLOCKE, but ready set up, to a VOIP provider to get started.

Further, they don't weigh up properly the advantages of having an ATA
over that of a USB handset etc.

1. Convenience:
(a)You don't need to switch on a computer everytime you want to make a
call. A computer is only needed when you first set up the ATA - ater
that you don't need your computer unless you want to make changes to
the settings on the ATA - that computer can remain off if you wish.

(b)You don't need to be in the same room as the computer.

(c)You can use standard analogue phones, including cordless to
connect to your ATA.

2. You can easily access a very wide range of VOIP service providers,
often automatically selected, for outgoing calls, by dialled number
type. Thus savings are made in call costs.

3. Lower running costs.
If you want the convenience of running a USB phone without switching
the computer on and off you just have to leave the computer switched
on.
Consider the running costs of that. Without the monitor the computer
will consume in the region of about 70W/h. At 8p a unit that is
just short of 50/year.

I run my ATA, router, cordless phone base station and cable modem 24/7
for 12/year. That is 38 less than running a computer.
The additional cost of an ATA, over that of a USB handset, is easily
offset by the savings detailed above not withstanding the other
benefits of using an ATA over a USB handset.

4. It is possible to completely DITCH your standard landline and just
use a VOIP phone if you are able to get cable broadband only in your
area. If you go this route though you should have a mobile phone
switched on, for emergency calls, as you cannot be absolutely sure of
the reliability of your broadband connection etc.
This arrangement will afford monthly savings on landline costs.

Anyone reading this who might now consider buying an ATA instead of
usb handset do make sure that you get an UNLOCKED unit (i.e. one not
tied to one company such as Vonage).

Some people might say, 'Oh I just use Skype one a week to call Fred in
Australia'.... OK but the world is going VOIP. Once you have bought
your ATA you've got it.
It isn't an on-going cost and it is so much more convenient.
People can ring you as well, you don't have to schedule a call as you
might do with a computer based phone.

further info:
www.voip-info.org
www.voxilla.com
www.leafcom.co.uk

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old July 9th 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick B.

Brian A wrote:
I am writng this because I see so many postings, on this newsgroup, by
people enquiring about USB handsets. As, personally, I think that they
are misled I have briefly outlined the relative merits of ditching the
idea of a USB handset and, instead, going for an ATA (Analogue
Telephone Adapter).

snip

I certainly wouldn'y use a USB phone, however you seem to have
overlooked the SIP phones such as the SNOM and Grandstream. Prices
getting cheaper by the day and IMO they have facilities that a simple
ATA doesn't give you such as multiple SIP accounts.

--
Nick B.
Old July 9th 06, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Nick B. wrote:
Brian A wrote:
I am writng this because I see so many postings, on this newsgroup, by
people enquiring about USB handsets. As, personally, I think that they
are misled I have briefly outlined the relative merits of ditching the
idea of a USB handset and, instead, going for an ATA (Analogue
Telephone Adapter).

snip

I certainly wouldn'y use a USB phone, however you seem to have
overlooked the SIP phones such as the SNOM and Grandstream. Prices
getting cheaper by the day and IMO they have facilities that a simple
ATA doesn't give you such as multiple SIP accounts.

Curious, I wonder if I'm the only person that has an IP shone that
doesn't support more than 1 account, and some ATAs that do.
Old July 10th 06, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-07-09, Brian A wrote:

I am writng this because I see so many postings, on this newsgroup, by
people enquiring about USB handsets. As, personally, I think that they
are misled I have briefly outlined the relative merits of ditching the
idea of a USB handset and, instead, going for an ATA (Analogue
Telephone Adapter).

Unless the circumstances in which a USB phone are being used are known I
cannot see how it is possible to generalise to this extent. Someone
with a laptop, a USB phone and access to a WiFi hotspot, and wanting
some help, may not be wanting to hear 'ditch the USB connection and get
an ATA'.

So many people choose these USB handsets because they feel that can
cope with the technology. They fear trying something they don't know
much about. A little bit of reading up and setting up of a simple ATA
is not so difficult to do. Indeed, it is possible to get an ATA that
is UNLOCKE, but ready set up, to a VOIP provider to get started.

Could this also be a factor? A goodly number of people have internal
ADSL modems supplied to them by their ISPs. They either do not know
about the router alternative or decline to replace the modem on grounds
of cost. Taking the USB route is the only way for them to run a
telephony application.

Further, they don't weigh up properly the advantages of having an ATA
over that of a USB handset etc.

1. Convenience:
(a)You don't need to switch on a computer everytime you want to make a
call. A computer is only needed when you first set up the ATA - ater
that you don't need your computer unless you want to make changes to
the settings on the ATA - that computer can remain off if you wish.

The pros and cons of having a computer on all the time have been
discussed many times elsewhere and any contribution of mine is highly
unlikely to be decisive in altering anyones opinion as to the merits of
the choice made. What I will observe is, that having decided to leave
the machine on, whether it be to use a USB handset, log the events
taking place on an ATA or listen to an internet radio station, it
becomes an inconvenience to leave it off.

What an ATA gives you here is not necessarily convenience but choice.
With a USB device there is no choice.

(b)You don't need to be in the same room as the computer.

Because you can use a cordless phone?

(c)You can use standard analogue phones, including cordless to
connect to your ATA.

This is a great convenience but it can also be done with a USB adaptor.

2. You can easily access a very wide range of VOIP service providers,
often automatically selected, for outgoing calls, by dialled number
type. Thus savings are made in call costs.

A few more details here would be useful. The automatic selection
procedure is unclear to me.

3. Lower running costs.
If you want the convenience of running a USB phone without switching
the computer on and off you just have to leave the computer switched
on.
Consider the running costs of that. Without the monitor the computer
will consume in the region of about 70W/h. At 8p a unit that is
just short of 50/year.

I run my ATA, router, cordless phone base station and cable modem 24/7
for 12/year. That is 38 less than running a computer.
The additional cost of an ATA, over that of a USB handset, is easily
offset by the savings detailed above not withstanding the other
benefits of using an ATA over a USB handset.

This is the 'running a computer all day is bad' argument again. It wins
if the only thing you want to do is receive a telephone call without
having the machine on. But if you want to run a mail or web server it
is a less compelling.

4. It is possible to completely DITCH your standard landline and just
use a VOIP phone if you are able to get cable broadband only in your
area. If you go this route though you should have a mobile phone
switched on, for emergency calls, as you cannot be absolutely sure of
the reliability of your broadband connection etc.
This arrangement will afford monthly savings on landline costs.

I cannot see what this has to do with deciding on an ATA or a USB
device.

[Snip]

Some additional reasons for choosing an ATA:

An ATA and router combination is operating system neutral. Getting USB
drivers for non-Windows machines is very problematic.

The feature sets of inexpensive corded and cordless phones can be better
than similarily priced USB phones.

If it's the sort of thing you want, an ATA is more versatile (ring
tones, for example) than the software being controlled by the USB phone.

It depends on the operating system but a misbehaving softphone may
compromise the machine whereas a delinquant ATA can be rebooted without
affecting the computer.

Brian.
Old July 10th 06, 02:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Nick B." wrote in message

[snip]

I certainly wouldn'y use a USB phone, however you seem to
have overlooked the SIP phones such as the SNOM and
Grandstream. Prices getting cheaper by the day and IMO
they have facilities that a simple ATA doesn't give you
such as multiple SIP accounts.

Take a look at the AVM Fritz!Box range - up to 10 SIP accounts
configurable. I have 4 on mine, any more and it starts to get confusing
about which one is ringing..!

Ivor

Old July 10th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 2006-07-09, Brian A wrote:

[...]

Some ATAs run between the modem and the computer - no router needed.

[...]

Could be but also you can use standard wired phones. I have 3 wired
phones and set of 4 cordless phones.

[...]

Agreed. However, the average Joe, who is likely to plumb for a USB
handset and feel reluctant to pursue the ATA route, is unlikely to be
the same type of person who is running a mail server etc. as that
takes some technical expertise.

4. It is possible to completely DITCH your standard landline and just
use a VOIP phone if you are able to get cable broadband only in your
area. If you go this route though you should have a mobile phone
switched on, for emergency calls, as you cannot be absolutely sure of
the reliability of your broadband connection etc.
This arrangement will afford monthly savings on landline costs.

I cannot see what this has to do with deciding on an ATA or a USB
device.

It is very much more easy and economical to fully equip all areas of
your premises with standard telephones that are 'non-technical person'
proof by going the ATA route than the Skype/softphone route.

Old July 10th 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PeterW

"Nick B." wrote in
:

Brian A wrote:
I am writng this because I see so many postings, on this newsgroup, by
people enquiring about USB handsets. As, personally, I think that they
are misled I have briefly outlined the relative merits of ditching the
idea of a USB handset and, instead, going for an ATA (Analogue
Telephone Adapter).

snip

I certainly wouldn'y use a USB phone, however you seem to have
overlooked the SIP phones such as the SNOM and Grandstream. Prices
getting cheaper by the day and IMO they have facilities that a simple
ATA doesn't give you such as multiple SIP accounts.

A Sipura 1001 gives you two and great call quality.
Old July 14th 06, 02:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-07-09, Brian A wrote:

(b)You don't need to be in the same room as the computer.

Because you can use a cordless phone?

Could be but also you can use standard wired phones. I have 3 wired
phones and set of 4 cordless phones.

So, putting phones in different rooms is a combination of using cordless
phones and long pieces of cable. And this gives an advantage to an ATA.

4. It is possible to completely DITCH your standard landline and just
use a VOIP phone if you are able to get cable broadband only in your
area. If you go this route though you should have a mobile phone
switched on, for emergency calls, as you cannot be absolutely sure of
the reliability of your broadband connection etc.
This arrangement will afford monthly savings on landline costs.

I cannot see what this has to do with deciding on an ATA or a USB
device.

It is very much more easy and economical to fully equip all areas of
your premises with standard telephones that are 'non-technical person'
proof by going the ATA route than the Skype/softphone route.

It was the replacement of a BT landline with a cable service and how
that helped someone to make a choice between an ATA or USB that puzzled
me.

Brian.
Old July 14th 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Thomas Kenyon wrote:

Curious, I wonder if I'm the only person that has an IP shone that
doesn't support more than 1 account, and some ATAs that do.

No you're not - I've got a bunch of Atcom AT320's too ;-)

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:44:05 up 2 days, 10:23, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.09, 0.25

Old July 18th 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Cash

It sounds you know much about ATA.You are quite right. it is very
convenience to use a ATA as the interface is very easy to operate,also
it could forward your Skype call to arbitrary telephone as well as your
Mobile phone.
We supply the VoIP solution and product for long time,all of us install
an adapter,you could add me to your contacts and give me a skype call
when I 'm not in my office.
Skype:cashleung8011

I'm in China if anyone want to sell my products or buy one for your own
use give me a call or leave me a message.

Cash Leung
Skype:cashleung8011