Interesting DSL linechecker

Old July 9th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Hemmings

Default Interesting DSL linechecker

http://www.prodigynet.co.uk/menu.php.../adsllinecheck

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.xenu.net/

http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old July 9th 06, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
News24

"Les Hemmings" wrote in
:

http://www.prodigynet.co.uk/menu.php.../adsllinecheck

For my line currently on Max, gives the result:
MAX speed (upto 8000k) : Green (6500 kbps)

Is the 6500 kbps my actual set maximum data rate, or is it a predicted
value? Establishing that directly with my ISP requires raising a support
ticket and a long wait!

The maximum speedtest result I have ever achieved is 6.3Mbps, so this would
seem to be correct.
Old July 9th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Civil

In article ,
Les Hemmings wrote:
http://www.prodigynet.co.uk/menu.php.../adsllinecheck

TFT.

It looks a bit conservative for my line as it states I can only get a
fixed rate of 512kbps or below, and a Max rate of 1mbps. However I've
currently got a fixed rate 1mbps line - I don't think I'll be chancing
going to Max)

Mike
Old July 9th 06, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006, Mike Civil wrote:

Les Hemmings wrote:
http://www.prodigynet.co.uk/menu.php.../adsllinecheck

It looks a bit conservative for my line as it states I can only get a
fixed rate of 512kbps or below, and a Max rate of 1mbps.

If you've already got a working ADSL line, you don't need that kind of
conservative estimator. Read off your router/modem parameters, and
use "Mr. Saffron's" estimator, linked from
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ , its direct URL is
http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Don't take the results as gospel, but it gave me a pretty fair guess
at what I was going to get on Max. Slightly optimistic, but fair
enough.

But watch your SNR margin at different times of day - if it varies by
too much, then you risk getting unstable results on Max.

good luck, whichever way you go.

--

If the crash doesn't occur immediately, the [development] cycle is broken,
and the result is called a release. -- detha, in the monastery.
Old July 9th 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Civil

In article . ac.uk,
Alan J. Flavell wrote:
http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Don't take the results as gospel, but it gave me a pretty fair guess
at what I was going to get on Max. Slightly optimistic, but fair
enough.

Ah, TVM for this. That estimates a Max speed of 2403kbps. I'll pull the
SNR figures off my router a few more times over the next few days to
see if it varies.

good luck, whichever way you go.

Thanks, although TBH I'm considering staying put until ADSL2+ or, more
unlikely, LLU or cable comes along as the difference isn't that great
and I'd rather have stability over absolute peak performance (although
the upstream increase would be nice to have).

Mike
Old July 10th 06, 01:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 17:09:32 +0100, "Les Hemmings"
wrote:

http://www.prodigynet.co.uk/menu.php.../adsllinecheck

Hmmm.

For me, it gives
------------------------------------
Rate adaptive (250k and 500k) : Green
Fixed Rate (1000k and 2000k) : Red
MAX speed (upto 8000k) : Green (1000 kbps)

250k and 500k ADSL is available on this line but 1000k and above are
not currently available.
------------------------------------

I am actually on MaxADSL, and most of the time have a BRAS of 1500,
occasionally it will go up to 2000, but that doesn't often last more
than a day or two before I get a connection between 2000 and 2250K and
it drops back)

Most of my connections are within a couple of hundred Kbps either side
of the 2272K that is required for a 2000 BRAS.

So it looks rather conservative.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Kamikaze Pilot Wanted: Experienced only need apply.
Old July 10th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterW

News24 wrote in :

"Les Hemmings" wrote in
:

http://www.prodigynet.co.uk/menu.php.../adsllinecheck

For my line currently on Max, gives the result:
MAX speed (upto 8000k) : Green (6500 kbps)

Is the 6500 kbps my actual set maximum data rate, or is it a predicted
value? Establishing that directly with my ISP requires raising a
support ticket and a long wait!

The maximum speedtest result I have ever achieved is 6.3Mbps, so this
would seem to be correct.

It gives 4500 for mine. I get a BRAS of 6200-7200 at the moment, but come
the winter it will drop to 5000 at best in the evening I guess.

I am 3.5km from the exchange.

Peter