Is my problem the router or the provider?

Old July 10th 06, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Is my problem the router or the provider?

Hi,

I've been having problems with my Freedom2surf connection for weeks
now, and it can sometimes be down for hours. I'm unsure whether it is
the provider, or my router, but rebooting the router doesn't help. Can
anyone help?

I have a Netgear router. When the problem occurs, the lights on the
router are still ok; indicating that the ADSL is working. However, when
I go into the router diagnostics, and the log, I can see that the LCP
is down.

The log shows:
LCP allowed to come up
Initialize LCP
LCP allowed to come up
Initialize LCP

And so on.....

I am also unable to ping IP addresses, so the connection is gone
competely.

Any help would be appreciated, so I don't have to buy another router to
test it ;-)

Many thanks

Paul

Old July 10th 06, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I've been having problems with my Freedom2surf connection for weeks
now, and it can sometimes be down for hours. I'm unsure whether it is
the provider, or my router, but rebooting the router doesn't help. Can
anyone help?

I have a Netgear router. When the problem occurs, the lights on the
router are still ok; indicating that the ADSL is working. However,
when I go into the router diagnostics, and the log, I can see that
the LCP is down.

The log shows:
LCP allowed to come up
Initialize LCP
LCP allowed to come up
Initialize LCP

Turn it all off for an hour. Then try again. I have a similar problem
occasionaly and it works for me.

Peter Crosland

Old July 10th 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Paul wrote on 10 Jul 2006 02:39:15 -0700:

[...]

If turning the router off and on again solves it, try setting your DNS
servers in the DHCP settings to those specified by your ISP rather than
leaving the router to get them via DHCP. If you do this your PC will talk
directly to the ISP DNS servers rather than the router running a DNS relay
cache - I've noticed that recently my DG834 would start dropping the
connection and continually list LCP coming up, and changing this setting
fixed it. I think there may be a problem in the DNS relay caching that
causes the router to "throw a wobbler" - for want of a more technical term
:P

Dan

Old July 10th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rialto

"Spack" wrote in message
[...]

My Netgear DG632 tends to fail after any configuration changes. A "reset to
factory condition" (and input username/password again) is needed to get it
going again. This is a problem common to all of this model. A search of the
internet will reveal all sorts of netgear issues... though *some* models
seem to be okay.

Old July 10th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterW

"Rialto" wrote in
:

"Spack" wrote in message
[...]

If its an Easynet LLU that's your problem. They have horrendous software
problems. I left them and rejoined the BT MAX service and no probs any
more.

Peter
Old July 12th 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Thanks everyone,

Unfortunately, restarting the router does not seem to work, and neither
has upgrading the firmware, so I've reported it to my service provider.

My only concern is that they will try to blame my router, but I'll see
how it goes. I just hope they are quick about it!!

Thanks again.

Paul